5 day detox with clean foods

Options
I generally eat clean, we hardly have any packaged or processed foods in our house. Lately we have eaten out a few times, and I've had more carbs than normal. I feel a bit bloated and sluggish. I have never done a "detox" but was thinking it would be an ideal time to try one. What kinds have you done?
I want to keep it to natural things, so not going out and buying a system.

Smoothies? Veggies? Did you cut out carbs? How much protein?

Any advice?

PS- I work out w cardio and strength training 5-6 days a week.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    2l8kolt.jpg
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I like this plan and would like to try it: http://www.wholeliving.com/152870/2012-whole-living-action-plan?tab=index

I use the smoothie recipes pretty regularly from that site, but haven't done the 21 day detox diet yet. I don't think I can quit coffee, but would like to try it with the addition of coffee just to see how I feel.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You do not need to drink smoothies

You do not need to cut carbs

You do not need to "eat clean"

You do not need to detox

Just calculate your TDEE and subtract 20% to lose weight

For protein, eat 0.82 grams per pound of body weight

For fat eat 0.4 grams per pound of body weight

Fill the rest of your calories with carbs
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    You do not need to drink smoothies

You do not need to cut carbs

You do not need to "eat clean"

You do not need to detox

Just calculate your TDEE and subtract 20% to lose weight

For protein, eat 0.82 grams per pound of body weight

For fat eat 0.4 grams per pound of body weight

Fill the rest of your calories with carbs

In all fairness, what most people call "eating clean" really does help them lose weight. Five hundred calories worth of processed food will fit in the palm of your hand, while five hundred calories of chicken breast and vegetables is a mountain. Sure, it's ultimately all down to calories in/out-- but some foods make it a lot easier to limit those calories.
  • melissadsims
    melissadsims Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yea sorry- I'm not just doing TDEE /20% I already do that and eat clean. I just feel like my body has slowed down over the last week or two, as I have eaten out a couple of times and had a lot of carbs in my daily caloric intake. I can FEEL it so I know. It's not like I'm not going to eat my calories! I'm still planning to eat my same amount of calories but just strict on where they come from.

And sorry to tell you- if you eat all your calories, no matter what number, in fast and processed food you won't see health benefits. Reality check.
  • Karmarpa
    Karmarpa Posts: 1
    Options
    5 days is too much , i just eat fruit and veg on two days a week and that suits me fine . Listen to your own body !!! If you are doing something wrong it will soon let you know avout it ! Try not to overdo it as your body doesnt like it . gently gently !!!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I would say go back to eating how you normally eat, and your body will handle the "cleansing" just fine.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I generally eat clean, we hardly have any packaged or processed foods in our house. Lately we have eaten out a few times, and I've had more carbs than normal. I feel a bit bloated and sluggish. I have never done a "detox" but was thinking it would be an ideal time to try one. What kinds have you done?
    I want to keep it to natural things, so not going out and buying a system.

Smoothies? Veggies? Did you cut out carbs? How much protein?

Any advice?

PS- I work out w cardio and strength training 5-6 days a week.

What toxins are you trying to detox?
  • emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options
    I would say go back to eating how you normally eat, and your body will handle the "cleansing" just fine.

I agree.
  • tanyagarneau
    Options
    Watch the documentary Hungry for Change on Netflix! What im doing right now is having a couple smoothies a day with kale,parsley,spinach,chia seeds, frozen fruit, v8 smoothie and plain yogurt in them. They are really good for you. I also like to eat eggs, fish you know some other stuff. It will cleanse you from the inside out!!
  • melissadsims
    melissadsims Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    We ate out 2x last week, I went to a wedding and ate some things I don't normally, we had some birthdays at workspace that was a bit of carbs and sugary deliciousness that I don't normally have and I had a really fun but rare night of drinking a week or so ago. So a bad week and a half. That's what I'm detoxing!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Poop? Pee? Ta-da detoxed.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    And sorry to tell you- if you eat all your calories, no matter what number, in fast and processed food you won't see health benefits. Reality check.

You can lose weight and be healthy eating processed foods or fast food. I can pick some really healthy meals at restaurants. You can lose weight eating burgers all day provided your calories are under your TDEE. Sure, it's not the healthiest way to get your calories in but you can lose weight and you can change the foods up to be a bit healthier. Provided you make proper choices you can get fast food that is healthy. A small egg white sub from Subway for breakfast, without cheese and dressing, with tons of veggies can be a healthy meal. Get a coffee with some apple slices. At Mcdonalds for example, go for a grilled chicken salad (choose a good dressing) or burger. Instead of fries get apple slices. At a restaurant get grilled, or baked meat (have them hold the butter or oils) with some steamed veggies, some rice (hold sauces and fats) or a salad. Tons of ways to eat healthy while eating out or eating fast food.

Ultimately, you do not need to detox. You do not need to cut carbs, or drink smoothies all day, or drink special teas or whatever other detox and cleanse products are out there. If you don't feel your best change up what you are eating. Have fruit with oatmeal or eggs in the morning. For lunch have a nice big salad with some olive oil, lemon juice and vinegar as dressing. Add in some baked chicken breast. For snacks have yogurt, apple slices with nut butter or cheese... or have veggies with hummus. For dinner have lean meats, steamed veggies, whole grain carbs. Eating properly will help you feel better if you have made the wrong choices when eating out.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No.

BatmanCleanse_zpsddc6079b.jpg
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Your 'eliminations', kidney and liver do a bang-up job "detoxing" you already. If they didn't you'd be dead or dying.

If you're eating TDEE -20%, have you been re-calculating your goals from each 5 lb loss or changes in activity level?
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Also, I eat plenty healthy but still add in junk. This week, I had brownies, Taco Bell and bagged Movie theater butter popcorn and dropped a pound this morning. It's all about that deficit, baby.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

<
    Eats "fast and processed foods" all the time. Best shape of my life and getting better every day.

Reality check.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

<
    Eats "fast and processed foods" all the time. Best shape of my life and getting better every day.

Reality check.

THIS!!! ^^

I eat mixture of "clean" and process and fast foods!!! Yep, I never been this healthy in my life!! :bigsmile:
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options

<

Reality check.

hahah, Fcck ya!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Somebody please tell me what in the world I would be "cleansing" if I do one of these????