I could definitely use some help

Options
Hello! I'm a 23 yo female college student, super stressed most the time and extremely hard for me to find healthy foods without getting bored of eating the same thing all the time. I'm currently 240 pounds at 5'6 and really want to try and loose 60 pounds this year. I've been over weight / obese my whole life. I was around 160 in 4th grade which is ridiculous. I previously lost 20 pounds on my own but after a very stressful and depressing year and have gained that weight back leaving feeling very beaten and self concious. My previous attempts at weight loss haven't gotten very far because I've not had any supporters of my losing weight, I carry my weight pretty well so most people think it's silly that I want to loose much weight. I am most worried about future health risks from being over weight for most of my adolescent life and would really like to change my life habits to keep myself in good shape in the future. Any help and support would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Replies

• Khloris
    Khloris Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am also looking to lose 60 lbs!! and I have tried and failed many times, so I understand. I am part of the group "Motivation, Inspiration, & Love" and I think it will be a great place for you. I am looking for a group to do nightly check ins on how we ate that day, what our workouts were, etc. and a weekly weigh in to see how we are doing, but I haven't had much luck with the groups on here.
  • agriff1991
    agriff1991 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am also in need of some motivating friends to keep each other going. I am 25 and weigh 166 I want to get down to about 30-40 pounds! Add me we can help each other get to our goals:)
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You can do it! MFP is very helpful. I use it on my laptop and my phone so I can log foods even when I'm out and about. I'm sure that college is stressful and busy but try to think of your weight loss as a stress-reducer and sort of a fun game. Don't worry too much about healthy foods. Think of eating at your calorie goal and eating for energy. Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm happy to support you and give any suggestions or advice!
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    maybe you should start out slow and eat what you like but count calories. then when you get used to that you can introduce healthy foods. or eat a healthy meal but have a dessert that you like? if you hate working out (like i do), take the stairs instead of the elevator. that's what i do in my apartment building.
  • sdmrtn86
    sdmrtn86 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would love to tag along your journey and help where I can! I am on my journey to lose a total of 211 pounds, so could definitely use some wisdom and support, as long as fun!
  • lydiababs
    lydiababs Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey there! You and I sound a lot similar. I've always been bigger all through school, but freshman year of college I went past the 200 lb mark. Feel free to add me maybe we can help each other out. :)
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Many hugs to you! I weighed the same in 4th grade. In fact, I never saw a fresh vegetable until I left home for college. I'm just now starting my weight loss journey. I was 239 when I started. My biggest downfalls are carbs and sodium. I try to make my own foods, thus avoiding the processed stuff. Water intake, and walking are now huge parts of my day. I work as a developer, so I set a timer to make sure I get up from my desk and just, move.

The one major thing I did was simply skip the candy aisle. I've been looking for sweet alternatives, such as dried fruits, or I make sweets myself using fruit purees. I know that time is probably limited with your studies, so try to find alternatives that are easy enough to pack around between classes (if on campus). Also, get a good baseline of what you eat and when you eat. MFP can help you see what you're consuming, and you can find healthier alternatives that come close. Try to introduce the alternatives over time. MFP is very helpful if you want to make homemade stuff in that it helps you break down any recipes you manually enter, or scrape from a website.

Keep at it, and love yourself :smile: