2»

Replies

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    owieprone wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »
    owieprone wrote: »

It'll take a while to get used to running hills, but once you get it feel free to run screaming down them hands in the air like a complete lunatic :D It just makes it that much more fun and keeps weirdos away.

this is where I want to be.

Also, OP, looking at that photo you posted of the trails, watch out for bikes....

I swear this is why my husband stopped running with me... sheer embarrassment. wheeeeeeeee!!!!! *much hand in air jiggling* aaaarrrggghhhh, woohoooooo *more arm jiggling* *maniacal laughing*.

Yep, bikes! Just keep in mind it's easier and safer for runners/walkers to get out of the way, or make room than it is for a biker cos physics, do give bikers a shout if you hear them just a quick 'walker/runner ahead' will do anything to alert them to your presence - obviously thats for off-road only. On shared-pavement bikers should be very aware of your presence, give you warning shouts if behind you, they should slow down and give you loads of room.

Absolutely! My main track is walkers/runners only but the other pictured is a shared trail.

My family rode that one and I only ran it because my stupid bike is to stupid and pretty for that terrain (I'm looking for a decent mountain bike now too!).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    Any tips on better control while maintaining running down hill?

A bit of context, most of my running, and all of my racing, is trails. The photos you posted are simple to run as they're smooth surfaced.

A few things to think about, starting from the top.
    • Head up, looking ahead, not down. Plan your footing several paces ahead and pick your route out.
    • use your arms to help balance, lift them up and out if you need to. I find that feels more solid to me, and it helps avoid hunching.
    • lean forward from your hips and commit to the run.
    • High cadence, and don't overextend your leading leg. If you do overextend then you'll slow yourself down and lose a lot of energy in braking. Use your momentum.
    • I prefer neutral, low drop shoes with minimal cushion, to give myself as much feel for the ground as possible. Cushioned shoes absorb energy and I hate the loss of feel.

The main thing is to have fun with it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Try this

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Any tips on better control while maintaining running down hill?

A bit of context, most of my running, and all of my racing, is trails. The photos you posted are simple to run as they're smooth surfaced.

A few things to think about, starting from the top.
    • Head up, looking ahead, not down. Plan your footing several paces ahead and pick your route out.
    • use your arms to help balance, lift them up and out if you need to. I find that feels more solid to me, and it helps avoid hunching.
    • lean forward from your hips and commit to the run.
    • High cadence, and don't overextend your leading leg. If you do overextend then you'll slow yourself down and lose a lot of energy in braking. Use your momentum.
    • I prefer neutral, low drop shoes with minimal cushion, to give myself as much feel for the ground as possible. Cushioned shoes absorb energy and I hate the loss of feel.

The main thing is to have fun with it.

Thank-you so much.

• TrvlOlive
    TrvlOlive Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Joenali,
    I stumble upon your message about swimming in three weeks after ORIF surgery. I have had my surgery 4 weeks ago and still not weight bearing at this time, I am going nuts from inactivity. Swimming sounds really good. How did you manage to lower yourself in the pool? How did you manage to get out? Did you have to cover the incisions somehow? Do they get irritated after being in pool water? Sorry to put this into unrelated thread, but for some reson I am not able to send you a personal message. Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    After years of being overweight my knees aren't what they were so I tend to take it easy running downhill to avoid injury. There is a temptation to overstride I think.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    TrvlOlive wrote: »
    Joenali,
    I stumble upon your message about swimming in three weeks after ORIF surgery. I have had my surgery 4 weeks ago and still not weight bearing at this time, I am going nuts from inactivity. Swimming sounds really good. How did you manage to lower yourself in the pool? How did you manage to get out? Did you have to cover the incisions somehow? Do they get irritated after being in pool water? Sorry to put this into unrelated thread, but for some reson I am not able to send you a personal message. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Hey! I had to wait until the incision was healed enough and had my doctor's go ahead before getting in the water. So make sure you do that. The first time at the pool I used the lift to get in and out of the water. Also I should clarify that my first time in the pool I didn't swim per se, I mostly used my aqua jogging belt to water walk/jog very carefully. After going a few times I started using a pull buoy between my legs to swim a bit without kicking. It was so nice to get into the pool to just move around after being so immobile. Good luck!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I usually turn my feet sideways and go down like that. It's slower, but I'd rather not end up falling down.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,265 Member
    Options
    I'm not that old, but old enough to know that I cannot afford to get hurt. If the downhill is too steep, I walk/jog it carefully. My trail running has enough ups and downs that I can use some of the steeper downhills as recovery from the uphills. Unless you're in a race, there's no reason to risk injury going balls-out downhill. As you get more experience, you'll reach a comfort level. Mine is a very low risk one. Others have much more. Most of all, enjoy your new activity! I LOVE trail running :heart:
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Let me preface this with the fact that I am not a runner ...

However, over the last year I have increased my cardio from not being able to jog to the end of the street and back to comfortably running about 3km, 2 - 3 times per week.

Yes, you ARE a runner. You may not be a marathon runner, but you are a runner. Welcome to the club and don't diminish your accomplishments.

As a runner with arthritis in both knees, down hill is the hardest for me. When I do need to go down hill, I lean back, reduce my pace, place my feet as gently as I can (no stomping), and descend as slow as I need to stay in control. There is no shame in walking, if that's necessary. Start slow and increase your pace over time as you learn what works best for you.

But if you forget everything else I just said remember, YOU ARE A RUNNER! Stop saying you're not. :smile:
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Running downhill is my favorite...especially on trails. It's kind of like a controlled fall. I lean into it and turn my legs fast to just kind of keep my balance, let gravity do the work, while choosing the best line down the hill.

@MeanderingMammal gave an excellent description. You can google tips for running downhill on trails and find info that way too.