Food question

Options
Do you lose weight by simply cutting calories? Or does the type of food effect weight loss? I'm unsure if there's anything definitive..or if it's all subjective. But I'm wondering.

Main reason, I have a sedentary job and counting calories is something I can do easily vs. exercise. But I'm wondering how the food impacts weight loss. I understand that some foods will decrease appetite(proteins etc...) that's not what I'm asking. 2000 calories from chocolate equal 2000 calories from oranges

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    It's the first rule of thermodynamics. Eating less calories than you burn means you will lose weight. It's more than definitive, it's fundamental.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Do you lose weight by simply cutting calories? Or does the type of food effect weight loss? I'm unsure if there's anything definitive..or if it's all subjective. But I'm wondering.

Main reason, I have a sedentary job and counting calories is something I can do easily vs. exercise. But I'm wondering how the food impacts weight loss. I understand that some foods will decrease appetite(proteins etc...) that's not what I'm asking. 2000 calories from chocolate equal 2000 calories from oranges

types of foods have no effect. its all about CICO.even those with health issues,it still boils down to CICO.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

types of foods have no effect. its all about CICO.even those with health issues,it still boils down to CICO.

This is half right. It absolutely is CICO but the CO are slightly effected by the type of CI. I wouldn't worry about it but some foods, particularly protein, require more calories to digest thus increasing CO slightly.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    some foods, particularly protein, require more calories to digest thus increasing CO slightly.

These effects are small, though. Within the margin of error for calorie counting. In general, "a calorie is a calorie" is a good working assumption for weight loss.

The only significant difference between different calorie sources is how well they fill you up, and that varies from person to person.