Indoor Rowing

Options
Is in door rowing a good workout for losing weight?

Replies

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    like any Cardiovascular exercise it can slightly increase your daily allowance for calories but losing weight is still about being in a calorie deficit. obviously exercise has many health benefits but since you mentioned this in relation to wieght loss specifically I had to pull the CICO card out
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    It is a good workout ... and if you burn enough calories so that your calorie intake is lower than what you've burned, you'll lose weight.
  • KerrieMac10
    KerrieMac10 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think so! I just started using the rowing machine and I'm hooked!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    tannic2k7 wrote: »
    Is indoor rowing a good workout for losing weight?

Yes.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If it creates a calorie deficit, it will.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    It is a good workout ... and if you burn enough calories so that your calorie intake is lower than what you've burned, you'll lose weight.

Yep, this.

Any workout is a good workout for losing weight, as long as it meets the criteria above. ^^
  • kamouflaged
    kamouflaged Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like the rowing machine. With proper technique, it's pretty effective in burning calories and a good overall workout (both upper and lower body + core, good mix of cardio and resistance training). It might be challenging for people who just started though and contrary to what some might think, there is no need to crank the resistance to the max to benefit from it.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I've been rowing for a couple of months. Last week, I decided to watch a YouTube video on correct rowing form, and I had several things to change! Now I can totally feel it in my core, which I did not before. I highly recommend doing this.
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Indoor rowing is one of the best indoor cardio options, in my opinion. It works the entire body and it's low impact. I've also found it tends to be a lot less monotonous than indoor bikes/treadmills.

One downside I've found, though (since I gained a lot of weight and got out of shape again) is that you really have to be able to build up to doing it for a long time as a cardio workout. I used to be able to go for an hour at a fairly high resistance, but right now I can only do about ten minutes, even if I set the resistance lower. My body's just not used to doing that much.

The other downside is listening to music. Really have to use bluetooth headphones because a cord is going to get in the way no matter where you put your device.