Am I using enough weight on the leg press?

Options
2»

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    rks581 wrote: »
    Question about leg presses -- yesterday I was waiting for the machine and a woman was doing leg presses with very little weight (30 or 50 lbs). She looked athletic, maybe a rower or dancer, with strong legs. I wondered why she wasn't simply doing squats. Maybe she was trying to maintain weight to remain within a weight class or something. Any ideas on why someone might leg press 30-50 lbs?

Are you sure she didn't squat before she leg pressed?
    I like to do my compound lifts first, and if I do leg press it might be like a burn out set/drop sets, so I can't use a lot of weight.
    She could be recovering from an injury, warming up, etc..?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    A question regarding squats vs. leg presses. Going back to the original post; the O.P stated "I'm 5'5" 130lbs. just wondering about how much weight I should be able to press on the leg press machine. I started at a weight equal to my body weight and am now pressing 155lbs."

If a 130# person leg presses 130#s isn't that the same thing as doing a body weight squat? And then isn't doing a 155# leg press the same as squatting 25#s? Doesn't a persons body weight count in squatting weight where it is not included in the leg press? With a squat, you are lifting yourself as well as the added weight, no? So that doing a 245# leg press is the same as squatting 115#s?

Thanks.
    FWIT I do squats and shun machines of all sorts save for cardio machines (treadmill, elliptical and rower, and assisted pull-ups {not a cardio, but a machine I don't avoid}).

Leg press still doesn't carry over like that. There's also a difference in types of leg press- some you move the foot board thing, others the foot board is fixed and your seat moves.
    Also, you're missing out on some good weight machines by shunning everything but cardio and assisted pull ups. I machine lifted my way to a stronger squat/bench/and deadlift.

I squat, bench, overhead press, row and dead lift with free weights. Is there a benefit to using a machine I'm missing?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    A question regarding squats vs. leg presses. Going back to the original post; the O.P stated "I'm 5'5" 130lbs. just wondering about how much weight I should be able to press on the leg press machine. I started at a weight equal to my body weight and am now pressing 155lbs."

If a 130# person leg presses 130#s isn't that the same thing as doing a body weight squat? And then isn't doing a 155# leg press the same as squatting 25#s? Doesn't a persons body weight count in squatting weight where it is not included in the leg press? With a squat, you are lifting yourself as well as the added weight, no? So that doing a 245# leg press is the same as squatting 115#s?

Thanks.
    FWIT I do squats and shun machines of all sorts save for cardio machines (treadmill, elliptical and rower, and assisted pull-ups {not a cardio, but a machine I don't avoid}).

Leg press still doesn't carry over like that. There's also a difference in types of leg press- some you move the foot board thing, others the foot board is fixed and your seat moves.
    Also, you're missing out on some good weight machines by shunning everything but cardio and assisted pull ups. I machine lifted my way to a stronger squat/bench/and deadlift.

I squat, bench, overhead press, row and dead lift with free weights. Is there a benefit to using a machine I'm missing?

I've trained/been mentored under the philosophy that weak point training (often done with cables/machines) is a great asset to barbell training. For me, this has been mainly triceps, upper back, hamstrings, and glutes. Sure, there are barbell movements more specific to these than just the ones you mentioned, such as close grip bench press or SLDL's, but I've been able to add a lot more volume by adding isolation exercises after my barbell movements. I can use the dip machine/cable push downs to go beyond what would have been my point of fatigue when training my triceps with a barbell, and isolate my weak areas more efficiently.
    One of my coaches squats 800+ lbs, he believes cables and machines have their place in a well rounded program. I'm sure there are plenty of elite lifters out there who do strictly barbell lifts as well though. Different strokes for different folks. Just how I've been taught and seen improvement in my strength.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    rks581 wrote: »
    Question about leg presses -- yesterday I was waiting for the machine and a woman was doing leg presses with very little weight (30 or 50 lbs). She looked athletic, maybe a rower or dancer, with strong legs. I wondered why she wasn't simply doing squats. Maybe she was trying to maintain weight to remain within a weight class or something. Any ideas on why someone might leg press 30-50 lbs?

I can't say 100% why she would be doing light weight exactly. The reason why I have to do light weight is deep burning inside the muscles also it's not always about lifting heavy as you can. Full movements in a controlled manner with good technique is just as important. Also a light weight when the rep count can be high compare to a heavy weight with low rep count. Things like muscle endurance comes into play. When the weight is low and you have to try to get to 30 and the leg is screaming in pain and you're only at 20 by the time you get to 27 the legs are ready to buckle and you get to 30 with a push the legs have being worked despite the low weight. What the person before or after lifts is irevalant.