Gym routine without free weights

Options
Hello, I'm so sorry if this has been asked before, I did search but nothing specific came up (but feel free to point me somewhere else if appropriate!).
I've rejoined the gym recently and I've been trying to read up on what machines I should be using for certain muscle groups but it's all a bit confusing, especially when there's talk of certain machines targeting primary and secondary muscles etc :/ could anyone give me a rough idea of which weight machines would add up to a full body work out? My plan is full body 3x per week with rest days in between. I don't think there's much point in splitting as I'm just a beginner (if I'm researching that right?) any help appreciated.
Heather

Replies

• samanthamurphy7
    samanthamurphy7 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I usually do a mix of the machines, TRX, kettle bells, medicine balls. etc

One of my mix day workout would be:

legpress
    Adductor and abductor
    Hamstring extension
    Assisted pulllup machine
    lunges with heavy kettle bells
    Barbelll deadlift
    Squat rack with bar only- deep squats
    The thing where you lie forward with a weight across your chest and squeeze glutes to pull yourself back up (don't know the name but its my fave!
    The cable machine for ab workout and glutes
    TRX straps for core and push ups/ triceps

Then finish with abs routine- various different one's.

Look up Scott Hermann on youtube. I think he's great.

Also on bodybuilding.com they have instructional videos for every single move/ machine/ exercise. Really helped me to not feel like such a noob at the gym !! lol
  • rontuueyeslikeafox
    rontuueyeslikeafox Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for replying, that's really helpful! I hate how self-conscious I am at the gym, I'm hoping that'll get better as I improve!
  • samanthamurphy7
    samanthamurphy7 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    No problem, the videos will really help! I find they do anyway!

Best of luck! :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Any reason you don't want to use free weights?
  • rontuueyeslikeafox
    Options
    There is an element of me being nervous of free weights as my core strength has been really poor following my C-section (though that was a couple of years ago) and I've managed to injure myself since then (probably because I didn't have the proper technique as I was working out on my own). The main reason is pretty lame, I'm just too self conscious at the moment to use the free weights, even though I work out at 5am there are always people in there so I stick to the cardio and weights machines, I know it's stupid but I end up wanting to leave even now if I think people are looking at me. I'm hoping it'll get better as I continue to exercise more.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

this? why can't you use freeweights - just because the gym has machines doesn't mean you have to use them - it depends on what your goals are
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

this? why can't you use freeweights - just because the gym has machines doesn't mean you have to use them - it depends on what your goals are

Her response to that is right above yours
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There is an element of me being nervous of free weights as my core strength has been really poor following my C-section (though that was a couple of years ago) and I've managed to injure myself since then (probably because I didn't have the proper technique as I was working out on my own). The main reason is pretty lame, I'm just too self conscious at the moment to use the free weights, even though I work out at 5am there are always people in there so I stick to the cardio and weights machines, I know it's stupid but I end up wanting to leave even now if I think people are looking at me. I'm hoping it'll get better as I continue to exercise more.

If I was you I'd get a couple of sessions with a personal trainer to help with these issues.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    use of proper form with free weights will help strengthen your core. Does your gym have TRX? Nearly every TRX exercise contributes to multiple areas, including the core.

Nearly everyone feels self conscious the first few times in the gym. Just forget about that. Focus on your workout and you'll soon quit stressing about other people. They're NOT thinking about you!
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    A couple of things:

Machines, cables, freeweights. All have their advantages and everyone has their preferences. I'm personally a big fan of freeweights, partially because I have a home gym, but also because to me lifting isn't just about the up and down, it's about the control. I've seen plenty of guys bench press the stack on a machine but not be able to handle anywhere close to a similar load on a bar.

Machines loan themselves to muscular imbalance, and don't really help you gain coordination or stability the way free weights do IMO. I second those who say get a trainer, learn proper form, lift safely and in control with free weights and reap the benefits.

Your other option is bodyweight training, which is very underappreciated IMO. You can get a hell of a lot done with what you already have.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm so sorry if this has been asked before, I did search but nothing specific came up (but feel free to point me somewhere else if appropriate!).
    I've rejoined the gym recently and I've been trying to read up on what machines I should be using for certain muscle groups but it's all a bit confusing, especially when there's talk of certain machines targeting primary and secondary muscles etc :/ could anyone give me a rough idea of which weight machines would add up to a full body work out? My plan is full body 3x per week with rest days in between. I don't think there's much point in splitting as I'm just a beginner (if I'm researching that right?) any help appreciated.
    Heather

Machines have their place, but machines work your muscles in isolation...you would have to do quite a bit of work to actually get a true full body workout because you're working everything in isolation. To that end, your stabilizing muscles and core really aren't going to get the work they need.

Free weights will engage everything...if you're worried about your core, free weights are actually what you should be doing. There are numerous established programs out there that will help you along...one of the big reasons people are self conscious in the weight room is that they simply don't know what they should be doing and when...a program will help with that. As form goes, you can watch YouTube videos...I'd also suggest a couple sessions with a trainer for the sole purpose of addressing form.
  • rontuueyeslikeafox
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone, it's much appreciated. Maybe if I can save up for a personal training session I'll manage to move on to free weights, I realise they are much more effective, I think because making it back to the gym has been a big step for me I'm going to have to psych myself up to go even further.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Her response to that is right above yours

which wasn't actually there when the question was asked...if you look at how close the timestamps are...
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I saw that you mentioned you're intimidated by the free weights section. I used to be also! I wouldn't dare step foot in that area, and I was lucky to get past anxiety to even get to the gym. Now that I am one of those people who is always in the free weight section, I learned a lot. I just wanted to tell you a few things that might ease your mind about walking into that area and attempting free weights:

#1 - Every single person in that area started as a beginner. They might have been 16 y.o., they may have been 40 y.o., but they started off with little to no knowledge and built up from years of experience. Most of them remember this and are willing to help if you ask.
    #2 - The gym rats that are in the free weight section are usually so in the zone and focused on their own work outs that they pay attention to little else. They have their headphones in and think of this time as their "therapy," you do the same. Blast your music and ignore all else.
    #3 - Personal trainers help a lot with form. So do the kind-hearted gym rats. Ask for help.
    #4 - Instagram and Youtube are God sends for learning new ideas for gym equipment, machines included. I literally got 80% of my circuit ideas from them and went from there.
    #5 - Going with a "plan" helps. I always write my work out down prior to walking into the gym. Not specifics like reps and weights unless I'm hitting a PR, but I will almost always write down which order I want to do my free weight/machine work in and what areas I'm targetting. If you're there on a mission you're less likely to feel out of place just wandering around looking for an open machine.
    #6 - Even the fittest of the fit still get intimidated sometimes. Heck, just the other day I was trying to squat 250 PR for the second time and a bunch of super tall, super skinny and tan blonde chicks were conversing in the corner and kept giving me the side eye. I got SO intimidated because I felt like I was being judged for being way bulkier than them. EVERYONE gets self conscious sometimes. Push past it. You can do it.
    Congratulations on getting in the gym and starting a new lifestyle!
  • rontuueyeslikeafox
    Options
    Thanks for that reply peaceout_aly, I appreciate you taking the time. I'm going to have a look at some youtube videos, and hopefully manage to save up for at least one pt session and hopefully I can go from there
  • hazcad
    hazcad Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I myself am looking forward to free weights but having suffered a slipped disc and losing sever core strength my back isn't strong enough for free weights just yet.
    I do cardio and machine weights as a full body workout 3 times a week.

Things I use are:
    Chest press
    Back extension
    Hip adductor
    Leg press
    Lat pulldown
    Leg extension
    Cable pully for triceps & biceps
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I used to do full body workouts 3 times a week. I now split into Chest & Back, Legs & Shoulders, Arms. If you want to do full body, my advice would be to make 3 seperate routines up to give variety and give you a wider knowledge of all equipment. These are the 3 routines I used:

Day 1: Deadlifts (Or back extension), cable face pulls, straight arm cable pushdown, skull crushers (Or the tricep machine), chest press, glute bridge just using a barbell and a box (Can be done anywhere), bicep curl, hamstring curl, calf press, hip adduction.

Day 2: Squats (bodyweight is good), assisted pull ups & dips, chest press, upright rows with barbell if you're happy using them, bicep curl, tricep extension on cable, lat pull down, cable rows, fly & reverse fly, leg extension, calf press.

Day 3: Chest press, shoulder press, cable rows, bicep curl, lateral raise machine, tricep overhead exte4nsions, leg press, kettlebell swings or 1 leg box squats or lunges, leg curl, calf press.

These are the 3 I used, mine were written out slightly differently for the different types of bench press etc but these are the basics to the days I did and can be expanded and changed as you gain confidence. Hope this helps :smiley:

Good luck! You can do this & well done just for getting back into the gym!!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    [

Machines have their place, but machines work your muscles in isolation...you would have to do quite a bit of work to actually get a true full body workout because you're working everything in isolation. To that end, your stabilizing muscles and core really aren't going to get the work they need.

Free weights will engage everything...if you're worried about your core, free weights are actually what you should be doing. There are numerous established programs out there that will help you along...one of the big reasons people are self conscious in the weight room is that they simply don't know what they should be doing and when...a program will help with that. As form goes, you can watch YouTube videos...I'd also suggest a couple sessions with a trainer for the sole purpose of addressing form.

This

My core was seriously weak after 6 children and a hernia repair. Couldn't even do a crunch let alone plank, sit up, leg raises. After 6 months of using free weights and compound lifts there is a very noticeable improvement in my core strength.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald has what I consider a pretty good machine program: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/

If nothing else, read that entire link - especially the parts about where to start and how to advance. Oh, and the "Notes on the Above," too, since that explains the numbers in parentheses and a few other things. But, I'd recommend reading the entire series anyway.