Ack!! My doc said walking is useless!!??

Options

Replies

• DegeBoller
    DegeBoller Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    any activity is beneficial .... walk and do weight training
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    one thing that seems to be missing...what are your goals? is it to lose weight? lose body fat? body recomp?
  • cathyfalcone9819
    cathyfalcone9819 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need another new doc. My pulmonologist wants me to walk an hour a day. I also do light weights and u just got a bosu ball for balance. I aim for 10,000 steps a day . That seems to be threshold (t least for me ) for losing
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I love to walk and am feeling discouraged. My new family doctor said walking is essentially useless for losing weight and only weight-lifting is going to help me reach my goals. He is a highly respected doc in our area and so I took what he said to heart and feel discouraged now because I have loved walking for years. I have started weight training 3 times a week, but still want to walk for cardio and because otherwise I would never get outside.
    What do you guys think? Does walking help you with weight loss or not?

You need a calorie deficit to lose weight. Burning more calories with activity helps with weight loss. Eating fewer calories helps with weight loss.

If you enjoy walking it can help you lose weight. If you rode a bike, played tennis, swam, danced, did kick boxing, climbed mountains those things would also help you lose weight more than sitting still. Saying only weight lifting will help you lose weight is not true. Keep doing both walking and weight lifting and watch your calorie intake.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/expert-answers/walking/faq-20058345
    https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/weight-control/walking-step-right-direction/Pages/walking-step-right-direction.aspx
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 lbs and reached my goal weight over a year ago simply by eating less and walking more.

When I started, I could barely lap the couch. Now? I can walk at a brisk pace for miles and miles.

The bonus is that some of the extra calories I "earn" from walking can go towards snacks, treats and the more caloric foods that I love. So I never feel deprived or hungry.

Win/win. :)
  • carol51955
    carol51955 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Even slow walking is better than no movement! A person needs to work up slowly. You'll get there!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    dont feel discouraged just do both.
    the use of the word useless was abit OTT by the doctor
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Another walking success story here- I'm 50 pounds down since summer, through daily walking and staying w/in my calories (more or less). I do 45 minutes most days. I am a pretty fast walker naturally, but sometimes I'm slow, and sometimes my dog is slow. Just walk. Prove him wrong.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    And my triglyceride and other cholesterols and A1C all lunged into normal by November. I'm sure a combo of both walking and just having lost weight.
  • walkergirl64
    walkergirl64 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the encouraging replies! I've never posted here before and am blown away by the positive support.
    I am going to renew my walking habit, do the weight training, too, and then respectfully tell him what I think of his remarks at our next visit. :)
    Thanks again!!

• briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I lost 120lbs just walking after my second child. Enough said.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Ummm I would maybe look for a new doctor! That's ridiculous. I know people that, because of bad knees or other injuries, could only walk for cardio and lost a bunch of weight! Adding in strength training will definitely help a lot, but weight loss is calories in vs calories out, and the easiest way to help tip that in your favor, in my experience, in cardio. And running doesn't actually burn that many more calories per mile than walking!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    He is right if you don't hit your ideal heart rate when walking. If you walk at a normal pace and your heart rate stays the same, it is useless.Do some research before changing doctors as some of these people have said.
    You DON'T need to hit an ideal heart rate. Any physical activity burns calories and if it helps to put one in calorie deficit, they will lose weight.
    The whole "ideal heart rate" is majoring in the minors. If one is trying to improve their "fitness", then fine, but for weight loss, it doesn't really matter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    Walking does help with weight loss. It just takes longer cause obviously 10 minutes of walking doesnt burn what 10 minutes of running does. But if you walk all day...! There was a story on a guy who stood for a full month, exception was sleeping. And he lost 5 lbs.
    Thing is if one ate back the same amount of calories from exercise, both would lose the same as long as they were in deficit. It's the deficit that makes the difference, not always the activity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I love to walk and am feeling discouraged. My new family doctor said walking is essentially useless for losing weight and only weight-lifting is going to help me reach my goals. He is a highly respected doc in our area and so I took what he said to heart and feel discouraged now because I have loved walking for years. I have started weight training 3 times a week, but still want to walk for cardio and because otherwise I would never get outside.
    What do you guys think? Does walking help you with weight loss or not?

What *are* your goals?

As far as weight loss goes, being in a calorie deficit is the most important.

As far as exercise goes, for weight loss, cardio is king. *Any* kind of cardio is better than no cardio.

For strength/muscle gain, weightlifting is the route to take.

Be aware that gaining muscle while in a calorie deficit to lose weight, though, is all but counterproductive.

All depends on your goals. :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I had a doc's assistant tell me walking is for mental health... I get what they are saying. Yes weights will help. But come on! Walking will absolutely help with weight loss.

Good luck OP! Keep walking!
  • GailLee4
    GailLee4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds walking and watching calories this past year. Your doc, no matter how respected, is wrong. Very wrong. Just now I've added strength training. It was all walking and using MFP to track calories.
  • Bentforkx
    Bentforkx Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    You don't mention how much you walk (distance x intensity)
    A walk around the block is better than not walking at all
    A kilometre walk in 12 minutes is better than a kilometre in 24 minutes
    An hour walk up hill is better than an hour walk on flat land
    and as mentioned before, all that walking will be negated if your caloric intake is greater than the calories your burnt walking
    I am wondering if your Dr's statement of walking being no good was in relation to your caloric deficit (or lack there of)..
    Keep up the walking, do it longer, do it faster, do it more intensely, get some walking sticks and get your upper body involved with your walking too!!
    Keep it up!!
    Cheers