Ready for recomp?

Hi all!

I'm pretty new to using the forum, but need some advice on recomp.

I've hit a weight that I feel good about, but maybe I should think about building more muscle.

I've been doing a simple circuit for like 10 mins a day: sit ups, push ups, leg lifts, butt kickers, wide leg squats and regular squats.

Does anyone have experience with this being enough to add definition and build some muscle?

Any tips or experience would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    That's not likely to do much as far as building muscle goes. You are going to need to add progressive strength training to that. Most people follow a structured lifting program, but if you prefer at home bodyweight stuff, you can certainly still recomp, but you are going to have to keep advancing the difficulty of your movements as you progress.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    It's easy to adapt to bodyweight exercises after a good amount of time. Unless you can start doing one legged squats, one arm pushups, etc. you'll limit how much resistance you can do and you need progressive resistance paired with volume work to increase muscle size.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    You probably won't build muscle with that workout however as @ninerbuff pointed out, there is no reason why you couldn't do a decent bodyweight programme and build muscle.

Set calories to maintenance and lift is basically the way to recomp.