Calorie deflict

Options
2»

Replies

• K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've found that putting my workout onto my daily calendar (mostly because I need to make sure that I balance them correctly) has really helped me to adhere to daily workout - even if its only 20min of weights

I stream a lot of workout videos off youtube (fitness blender is a favorite) - so I can work out in my basement at 10pm if I so desire

The whole " this work out is ONLY 20 mins" is how i did so good the first time. I have videos. I was good at them lol.. maybe ill try logging it before hand aswell.. then im kinda obligated since it will suck to delete it lol
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    As already mentioned, you may want to keep an eye on your weekly deficit. You said "all week i do soo good under my calorie goal track everything."

How far under your goal are you? A goal is to be met. If you're just talking about 50 calories or something, no big deal. If you're under more like 100 every weekday, that gives you an extra 500 for the weekend. If you're under more than that consistently, you should probably work on getting closer to your goal. However, this only really applies if you're logging accurately. If you're not weighing your food and ensuring the entries you choose are accurate, you may be eating more than you think, anyway. But, the bottom line is that, along with the other good advice in this thread, it might be helpful for you to take a look at your weekly deficit.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Why not plan some of your weekend meals ahead of time instead of just "winging it?" That way you can plug them in to the app and see where you are calorie wise and allow yourself X amount of this and X amount of that. You can still eat pizza and chips on the weekends, just not a whole pizza or a whole bag of chips. Or, I would try to get a rough idea of how much you're eating on the weekends and if it's not that much over your daily calorie limit, maybe sacrifice some throughout the week. Or, exercise more. Punish yourself for eating that extra slice of pizza by doing 45 minutes of cardio. There are solutions if you seriously do not want to change anything about what you're doing. You just have to find them.

Oh, the idea of punishing yourself is terrible. There really is no other way to put it than bluntly, I'm sorry, because that is entering disordered behavior territory that leads to binge/restrict cycles. And the only way out of those is to not restrict.

OP, I agree with those suggesting that you start logging your weekends as accurately as possible, and then look at the big picture of your deficit for the week. You might be doing better than you think.

The other thing you could do is, as suggested, budget for say 2 slices of pizza with a salad, or a small bowl of chips, and prelog those. A lot of people save or bank extra calories during the week for the weekend.

The idea is to be in control of your indulgences and making them intentional instead of just diving in without a plan of attack.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I hate the idea of exercise for punishment as well - I eat to fuel my body, so that I can perform to my best at a physical level

food is fuel, exercise is not punishment

This. Exercise is something I used to loathe and I have come to love it. Furthermore, the idea of punishing yourself for overeating is very disordered behavior. It's part of binge/restrict cyclical behavior that is very insidious and hard to get out of. I've been there.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I think you're being a little too hard on yourself.

When I want pizza or chips or chocolate or whatever I make it fit into my calories. I have a serving, log it, and move on. If I want more I remind myself I have already had my serving and I can always have more tomorrow or then next day. If I'm still hungry, I eat something that isn't so calorie dense.

Pizza pairs well with a big salad and if I'm eating chips I usually am eating them with a sandwich. Isn't hard to stop at a serving because I'm usually full then anyways.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    As already mentioned, you may want to keep an eye on your weekly deficit. You said "all week i do soo good under my calorie goal track everything."

How far under your goal are you? A goal is to be met. If you're just talking about 50 calories or something, no big deal. If you're under more like 100 every weekday, that gives you an extra 500 for the weekend. If you're under more than that consistently, you should probably work on getting closer to your goal. However, this only really applies if you're logging accurately. If you're not weighing your food and ensuring the entries you choose are accurate, you may be eating more than you think, anyway. But, the bottom line is that, along with the other good advice in this thread, it might be helpful for you to take a look at your weekly deficit.

That is true. I have a hard time getting close to my goal spec when i eat super healthy foods.. weighing isnt my problem. Ill take a look. Is there a part in the app for that?
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    I think you're being a little too hard on yourself.

When I want pizza or chips or chocolate or whatever I make it fit into my calories. I have a serving, log it, and move on. If I want more I remind myself I have already had my serving and I can always have more tomorrow or then next day. If I'm still hungry, I eat something that isn't so calorie dense.

Pizza pairs well with a big salad and if I'm eating chips I usually am eating them with a sandwich. Isn't hard to stop at a serving because I'm usually full then anyways.

I agree... sometimes maybe its easier knowing im not the only one out there with issues like this haha and now to easier manage it. Its all appreciated...
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »

That is true. I have a hard time getting close to my goal spec when i eat super healthy foods.. weighing isnt my problem. Ill take a look. Is there a part in the app for that?

Hopefully someone else can help you with that. I just track it informally, based on my daily leftover calories, or look at my fitbit info. I think you might have to use the myfitnesspal app, which I don't have.

I just saw in another thread that you said your goal is 1700 and you only get 1100-1400 if you're lucky. Given that, the pizza you ate probably hardly dented your deficit since you likely created a much larger one than you asked MFP for. And now you're talking about eating "super healthy foods." You're probably being more strict with yourself than you need to be. It's important to have a well-rounded diet to get the nutrition you need, but you don't need to eat "super healthy" all the time. Without seeing your diary, you could probably stand to add more calorie dense items to your diet - like avocado, nuts, nut butter, oils. And you can still plan on the weekends being higher calorie while keeping your intended deficit. Maybe eat 1500 during the week, then you have an extra 1000 for the weekend.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    I would start, not by changing it, but by tracking it. That's the only way you can possibly know if you're undoing your deficit or not, because there is no one answer.

One person, when they pull out all the stops, might only hit maintenance and so will still lose weight if they only do it once a week. Another person might eat 4000cal over maintenance and end up with a net gain over the week.

If you want to know where you fall on that scale, you need to track it. Track everything. I mean, why wouldn't you? Who are you trying to hide it from? Yourself?

For the most part, I agree with this, with the caveat that if someone is achieving their goal of losing or maintaining weight (or even gaining weight at a controlled rate) without weekend tracking, or if they're satisfied with their rate of loss even if it's a little slower than they had originally hoped or planned for, they don't need to start tracking on the weekends if they would prefer not to. Not everyone cares about the data, just the results.

I say this although I'm in the "track everything" camp myself. I've only missed a handful of complete days in three and a half years (perhaps 6 days out of more than 1200 total), and maybe another half dozen times at most I haven't logged a last snack because it was late and I was tired -- and even then I usually go back and log a "best estimate" the next day. I like having the data to calculate my NEAT and TDEE.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »

Hopefully someone else can help you with that. I just track it informally, based on my daily leftover calories, or look at my fitbit info. I think you might have to use the myfitnesspal app, which I don't have.

I just saw in another thread that you said your goal is 1700 and you only get 1100-1400 if you're lucky. Given that, the pizza you ate probably hardly dented your deficit since you likely created a much larger one than you asked MFP for. And now you're talking about eating "super healthy foods." You're probably being more strict with yourself than you need to be. It's important to have a well-rounded diet to get the nutrition you need, but you don't need to eat "super healthy" all the time. Without seeing your diary, you could probably stand to add more calorie dense items to your diet - like avocado, nuts, nut butter, oils. And you can still plan on the weekends being higher calorie while keeping your intended deficit. Maybe eat 1500 during the week, then you have an extra 1000 for the weekend.

I just got avocado yestetday actually.. its not my favorite food tho... maybe ill have to look into making it taste better! Lol
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    mashed avocado on top of an egg white omelette with some onions, bell peppers and cheese is awesome
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    mashed avocado on top of an egg white omelette with some onions, bell peppers and cheese is awesome

Thx! Ill have to try that. Ill have to play around with guacamole recipes too. PINTREST! Lol
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    pinterest is awesome...the omlette I used to get at the café in my office building - add some chicken on the side; and a piece of toast and I was set until lunch (and or second breakfast if I was mid-training season)