Eating clean

Options
1235»

Replies

• suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    suzesvelte wrote: »
    Hi newbie alert - well new to this forum, not new to dieting (50 years of effort) and looking for support.

Think fitness pal will help me, but can someone tell me what IIFYM means? Thanks

Welcome. It means "If It Fits Your Macros" :)

Thanks -- looking at macros is the "new" thing I want to try this time ... so Fitness Pal should be useful for that

onward and upward
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    suzesvelte wrote: »
    Hi newbie alert - well new to this forum, not new to dieting (50 years of effort) and looking for support.

Think fitness pal will help me, but can someone tell me what IIFYM means? Thanks

IIFYM = If It Fits Your Macros. Some people misinterpret it to mean eat whatever you want. It's basically a balanced approach to eating. Choose a macro balance that promotes satiety and meets your goals for fitness and dietary compliance.

Eat mostly nutrient dense foods. If it helps with dietary adherence and you like them, go ahead and don't feel bad about including foods you like such as pizza, hamburgers, or things like cookies and ice cream. Just make sure to get plenty of things on balance like lean protein, vegetables, whole grains, beans, legumes, and healthy fats.

Thanks. I already eat a very nutrient dense diet - I've had cancer for ten years so I did lots of research on carcinogens and anti-cancer foods -- this has saved my life I reckon .. currently cancer free despite being told I was on a palliative pathway 6 years ago -- so health and micronutrients are well rehearsed. No alcohol, virtually no meat, all wholegrains, low GI carbs lots of green tea, berries, brassiacas and curry spices - weclome to my world.

but
    I have also always been in a battle with my size, and "healthy" eating alone is not enough .. I have a soft spot for sweet stuff and find that battle against sweets and biscuits etc harder than all the other stuff I manage to stick to pretty routinely.

I wont be eating any pizza or burger, cos I haven't done that for many years. What I will be doing is shifting the balance away from carbs and onto protein in the hope that this change will help me focus on the pattern of my eating in a different way and maybe its true that eating more protein speeds your metabolism a bit! Cancer wise there are fears around the way meat and fish are produced so I more or less stopped cooking with these, tho I do eat them out sometimes. Am going to source some top quality meat and fish to eat a bit more of it at home for a while. And get rigrous with the CICO sums.