Avocado

Options
K3rB3ar89
K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
I hate these things! The taste the texture.. i DID buy them yesterday however because i heard there super good for you. How can i make them that will make them taste better?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you could make an avocado pasta sauce - gets rid of lots of the texture issues (I do the same with butternut squash)

what about smooth guacamole?
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    they taste amazing with chicken :)
  • Funnylittlenut
    Funnylittlenut Posts: 72 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I agree with snickerscharlie, but I also have some good recipes for you. I don't *hate* avocados but I don't love them either and don't understand people who just eat them by themselves. I recently got given about 10 avocados and had to get seriously creative.

This recipe for avocado pesto pasta is wonderful. You can get away with only using 1/4 cup olive oil, but no less than that. And you can just use whatever nuts you have on hand (I used hazelnuts). If you toss the pasta with 600g poached shredded chicken breast, the whole recipe makes 6 servings at 469 calories. delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a45534/avocado-pesto-linguine-recipe/

Another good one for if you happen to have plenty of milk is this salad dressing from skinnytaste.com/zesty-avocado-cilantro-buttermilk/. It still tastes reminiscent of guacamole though so it may not be for you.

I didn't get around to it but I had also been considering trying to make these brownies and subbing half the pumpkin for 1/2 cup avocado: thebigmansworld.com/2016/11/02/healthy-flourless-pumpkin-breakfast-brownies/. Cocoa is a great way to drown out the flavour of avocado.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ohhh, I'm going to have to try that avocado pesto pasta recipe
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Guacamole is awesome. I also just finished a sante fe salad that I cut some up on along with some corn and shrimp. Avocados are packed with the good kind of fat and with a little research you can find something fun to do with them.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    I hate these things! The taste the texture.. i DID buy them yesterday however because i heard there super good for you. How can i make them that will make them taste better?

If you hate them, don't eat them. There are plenty of other foods available - and life is too short - for you to force yourself to eat something you don't like. :)

Hahaha i 100% agree. The problem is i decided to try our new shop online and pick up grocery service and on my order i ordered TWO avocado and they gave me TWO BAGS! They did have a extra starwberry and a few other things they messed up. Its alright its not worth complaining about but im now stuck with like 10 of them instead of just two:p
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    Another thing i did stupid is i didnt look before i went crazy so now i have like 3 pounds of apples and just got another 5 pound bag lol so now i gotta figure out what to do with those too lol.. naturally id make apple crisp but if i did it would be too good to watch everyone eat lol
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I put them in smoothies...almond or cashew milk, berries an avocado ...it makes it more creamy and its delish ..you can't taste them
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Applesauce! Just core and peel (optional), throw them in a slow cooker with 1/3 cup For 4 hours. Spices can be optional, but I like cinnamon, ginger, cloves and mace...nutmeg is a good substitute for the last 2.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    Applesauce! Just core and peel (optional), throw them in a slow cooker with 1/3 cup For 4 hours. Spices can be optional, but I like cinnamon, ginger, cloves and mace...nutmeg is a good substitute for the last 2.

AHH thats so simple!!! Can you freeze it? How long you figure it would keep?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I vote for smoothies for the avocado (if you make smoothies with banana, just substitute the avocado -- I'd probably only put half an avocado in a smoothie) -- so long as you have some other flavor component, like berries, chocolate, peanut-butter, etc., you probably won't taste the avocado, and the texture mainly just makes for a smooth, creamy smoothie.

For the apples, they'll keep a long time if you have room for them in the refrigerator, and only take out as many as you'll eat in the next few days. So you don't really need to look for a way to "use them up" beyond however you normally use them (e.g., as a snack). However, if that's not an option, you should be able to freeze the applesauce -- I would do it in small containers, as much as your family might eat in one meal, so you don't defrost more than you need. Also, I would put wax paper on the top surface of the applesauce, to minimize frost contact.

Baked apples are good either with a meal or as a snack or dessert. I just core them and bake them whole. Baking brings out their natural sweetness, but you could slice them in half (before or after baking) and add cinnamon, a little white or brown sugar if you like, nutmeg, ginger, etc.

ETA: another option for "disguising" your avocado is pudding. I've seen it done both as chocolate and white chocolate (obviously green colored) pudding, but google ("pudding recipes with avocado") shows chocolate peanut butter as well.
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Mash them up onto toast with some thinly sliced smoked salmon and a poached egg. Nom.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    I vote for smoothies for the avocado (if you make smoothies with banana, just substitute the avocado -- I'd probably only put half an avocado in a smoothie) -- so long as you have some other flavor component, like berries, chocolate, peanut-butter, etc., you probably won't taste the avocado, and the texture mainly just makes for a smooth, creamy smoothie.

For the apples, they'll keep a long time if you have room for them in the refrigerator, and only take out as many as you'll eat in the next few days. So you don't really need to look for a way to "use them up" beyond however you normally use them (e.g., as a snack). However, if that's not an option, you should be able to freeze the applesauce -- I would do it in small containers, as much as your family might eat in one meal, so you don't defrost more than you need. Also, I would put wax paper on the top surface of the applesauce, to minimize frost contact.

Baked apples are good either with a meal or as a snack or dessert. I just core them and bake them whole. Baking brings out their natural sweetness, but you could slice them in half (before or after baking) and add cinnamon, a little white or brown sugar if you like, nutmeg, ginger, etc.

ETA: another option for "disguising" your avocado is pudding. I've seen it done both as chocolate and white chocolate (obviously green colored) pudding, but google ("pudding recipes with avocado") shows chocolate peanut butter as well.

Thanks! I have had my apples since before christmas so it was time. I just chopped them up and put them in the slow cooker! I think i may try to maks a pudding and or smoothie. I didnt even think of these too be an option so this is awesome! Thanks everyone! Maybe ill try again with the egg thing aswell.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Yes! Freeze it in small batches and you can just take one out and thaw it as needed. Properly sealed and frozen you should be good for a year. :)
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options

Yes! Freeze it in small batches and you can just take one out and thaw it as needed. Properly sealed and frozen you should be good for a year. :)

Theres no way it will last a year:p i just dont want it to be one of those things i say ill eat alot of and then never eat it and it goes bad:p but if its frozen i know its there whenever i want it:)
  • plutonn
    plutonn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with snickerscharlie, but I also have some good recipes for you. I don't *hate* avocados but I don't love them either and don't understand people who just eat them by themselves. I recently got given about 10 avocados and had to get seriously creative.

This recipe for avocado pesto pasta is wonderful. You can get away with only using 1/4 cup olive oil, but no less than that. And you can just use whatever nuts you have on hand (I used hazelnuts). If you toss the pasta with 600g poached shredded chicken breast, the whole recipe makes 6 servings at 469 calories. delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a45534/avocado-pesto-linguine-recipe/

Another good one for if you happen to have plenty of milk is this salad dressing from skinnytaste.com/zesty-avocado-cilantro-buttermilk/. It still tastes reminiscent of guacamole though so it may not be for you.

I didn't get around to it but I had also been considering trying to make these brownies and subbing half the pumpkin for 1/2 cup avocado: thebigmansworld.com/2016/11/02/healthy-flourless-pumpkin-breakfast-brownies/. Cocoa is a great way to drown out the flavour of avocado.
    These are seems pretty good, thank you! :smile:
  • plutonn
    plutonn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Guacamole is an option too. You can use boiled eggs in it and it helps you to get your daily proteins.
  • Jax_Grim
    Jax_Grim Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I like to make an avacado salsa to top grilled chicken. I chop avacado with tomatoes and onions. Then add some lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Pineapple or Mango can be added to. I also eat a lot of avacado in a lot of sushi.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Blend and avocado with
    250ml can of coconut cream
    2- 3 tablespoons of cacao powder
    1 tablespoon of cacao nibs (optional if you want darker chocolate flavour)
    Honey to taste (2 tablespoons is usually right)

Blend until smooth and then pour into container with lid.

Set in fridge for at least 4 hours.

Makes an amazing clean chocolate mousse with all the good fats of coconut and avocado (you won't notice either) with the antioxidants of cacao.

Even kids and partner love this one. They didn't even realise it had avocado in it