Eating Out

Options
So I'm at Apple Bees for a family lunch. Like usual my husband and I do the 2 for $20. I go with the oriental chicken salad with grilled chicken thinking it won't be bad. WRONG!! After I order it I go to put it in the lunch thing on here and my gosh the calories in the salad alone would leave me less than 400 calories for dinner/snacks. I find it to be BS, yes these places offer a low calorie options but still help us out here. Ugh!!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Whenever you can check the nutritional info on the restaurant's website before you go and have a few choices in mind so you don't have this issue. Salads often are not the best choice due to all the high calorie toppings.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can be hard to guess (especially at first) which are the low-calorie options on a restaurant, if the menu doesn't say. If you can't check the nutrition facts on line before you go, you could ask the server if they have any pamphlets or other written materials with nutrition info -- or check your phone for online nutrition info while you're sitting there.
  • Carebear199125
    Carebear199125 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Lesson learned. That's that what I'll start doing is looking it up before I go. I assumed salad was the best option but after looking it up with and without the dressing it's crazy. Thank you for the feedback
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Salads when eating out are usually high in calories and they rarely count the croutons or dressing. The "lighter" menu is okay but not exciting either. You are going to have to skip all bread and all potatoes to win at these places. Even if it is not on the menu you're best play is a lean meat 4 to 6 oz. and grilled veggies. I alway struggle at Applebee's.
  • Carebear199125
    Options
    Good to know thank you! Yea the dressing was crazy I was trying to avoid having it all over my salad. As I was looking over the menu before anything I was looking at the lower calorie stuff and yea I agree not the best but I'll have to go with it
  • showerbeer182
    showerbeer182 Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I always roll with grilled fish tacos mmmmm.....
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    The secret to Applebee's is the Butchers Reserve sirloin. 12 lean ounces for under 400 calories, if I remember correctly. It is an excellent steak. Do not abuse it by getting it anything more done than medium rare. Add a side of broccoli and there you go.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Is it a particularly large salad? I would only eat half if it was.

My problem is a lot of portions at restaurants are so large. I find eating only half of what I order and taking the rest home helps.
  • Carebear199125
    Options
    I saw the steak on the menu, unfortunately I'm not a large steak fan but I may have to. The salad was on a good size, I didn't eat breakfast(bad mistake) so I ate majority of it.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Never trust salads. I usually pick a steak or chicken, and steamed veggies as a side.
  • Carebear199125
    Options
    Good to know. Thank you
  • newgirl57
    newgirl57 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Last weekend I was out running errands and my parents asked me to stop at Taco Bell and pick up lunch. They had seen the ads on tv for the new double tacos and wanted to try them. I thought, I'll be good and just get a salad. When I got home and logged it in the Fiesta Salad with Grilled chicken was 710 calories! I could have eaten two supreme burritos with less calories! Good thing I don't go there often, it was a splurge and was sooo not worth it.
  • Carebear199125
    Options
    Omg that's insane! You would think salad it's natural "vegetables" its healthy and good option. Nope! This is ridiculous!!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OMG! over 1200 calories for the salad??? (I just checked their site). I mean I look before I go too but I have been dieting for a long time (successfully but I put on weight from an injury so Im back lol) and I still would NOT have expected 1200+ calories for a grilled chicken salad just WOW! It is likely the dressing??? or nuts/cheese if they are in it? Definitely check on your phone or something before hand. I do that! Unless you have a cheat day which is totally OK but wow Id be as shocked as you and Im not a newbie!

EDIT: HOLD UP I just saw the lunch one is 460 lol ok THATS NOT BAD at all??
  • Verity1111
    Options
    newgirl57 wrote: »
    Last weekend I was out running errands and my parents asked me to stop at Taco Bell and pick up lunch. They had seen the ads on tv for the new double tacos and wanted to try them. I thought, I'll be good and just get a salad. When I got home and logged it in the Fiesta Salad with Grilled chicken was 710 calories! I could have eaten two supreme burritos with less calories! Good thing I don't go there often, it was a splurge and was sooo not worth it.

The taco is under 400calories too lol smh. I want one now... vegetarian style though :) with extra sauces :P because I dont behave when I order out lol
  • Verity1111
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I saw the steak on the menu, unfortunately I'm not a large steak fan but I may have to. The salad was on a good size, I didn't eat breakfast(bad mistake) so I ate majority of it.

You do not need to :) here are some options I saw

Thai Shrimp salad 380 cal

Boneless wings (no sauce or dressing) 680 dressing or sauce is about an extra 200calories each...so 800 if you pick one or the other. BUT share? eat half and maybe have a veggie side and youd be good to go. If you do the "build your sampler" and eat just the boneless wings they are under 400 calories without dressing so youre getting about a half order :)

Grilled chicken wonton tacos - 480 calories

The sirloin IS very low calorie... under 300 calories....however other options are:

Cedar grilled salmon 340

Double glazed, half rack of ribs without sauce 470 and the sauce only adds 60-80 calories so maximum is about 550 not too bad!

Bone-in pork chop with honey apple chutney 560

Your best sides at Applebees are:

Steamed Broccoli 90 cal
    Wood-Fired Grilled Veggies 160 cal
    Garlicky Green Beans 180 calories
    Hearty grains and rice 250cal
    Garlic Mashed Potatoes 260 cal

Although, if you eat half of your side youd be good either way because theyd all be 100-300 calories...

Fiesta chicken chopped salad (lunch portion) 340 calories OR get the full one and eat half for 425 cal (dressing included) the full salad is 850cal

• Verity1111
    Options
    Also, all of the soups are under 400 calories and apart from chili or french onion the rest are all under 300 calories so maybe soup is better than salad!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I always ask for dressing on the side - saves having a salad drowned in dressing, and calories I don't want or need!
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This is why now I love that places with more than one or two locations must put calorie counts on the menus for each item (at least where I am in Ontario they are required to). Makes eating out much easier and no need to look at the website before going.

Salads are crazy sometimes with the calorie counts! Especially with the dressing (always get it on the side so you control how much you have) and anything like crispy chicken.