Exercise ideas for someone with hip and knee problems

Options
I have had one hip replaced. Need a knee and other hip replaced. Trying to find some way to exercise.

Replies

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Swimming front crawl with a pull buoy between your legs is one of the few ways to work on your cardio fitness without the use of your knees/ankles etc. It's great for people to maintain fitness whilst recovering from running injuries for example. Give it a go.

If you're not a competent swimmer then there's no better time to sign up for adult swim lessons :) you won't regret it!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    swimming, water aerobics, my local high school has water zumba
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    maybe something like an alter-g treadmill which may be available at some PT's - there is no gravity - you basically run in a bubble
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Water workouts are your best bet.

If you don't have access to a pool, google seated workouts on YouTube.....there might be something you can use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xC9khisFPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AuLqYh4irI

• owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    As Sara suggested swimming would be good, my stepdad had both hips replaced and was told if he wanted to do breast stroke to do it just with arms but do crawl with legs. If you can crawl then just do that but i find breast/crawl is quite nice. You can also do backstroke with no legs. A pull-buoy for your legs would be useful if you can't keep your legs still and up without one. There are plenty of leg-and-arm buoys available so you only have to carry one. You can youtube drills to do with a bouy and proper swimming technique (everyone does something abit squiff, it's worth watching them, if you have the money a swim coach who understands hip rehab would be useful).

Also speak to your consultant, they should be telling you what exercises you should be avoiding and what you should be doing regularly. My stepdad also walked round our estate (about a mile, maybe abit more) after his to get mobile/strength again.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    owieprone wrote: »
    Also speak to your consultant, they should be telling you what exercises you should be avoiding and what you should be doing regularly.

really this. anyone else who sells you a piece of machinery will tell you how it works and what the tolerances are. i don't get why joint-replacers don't seem to do the same thing.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    maybe something like an alter-g treadmill which may be available at some PT's - there is no gravity - you basically run in a bubble
    It's not cheap though. When I had clients do it, it was $25 for a half hour of use.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    I agree with pool work if you have access and can swim. If not, boxing on a stand up/hanging bag is an alternative that won't break the bank.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yep, agree with Niner here too, boxing (or any martial art upper body stuff) against a bag (or willing, pad-holding husband) is a great way to stay fit without much impact going through your hips, knees. I would suggest some lessons in it first though as it's easy to twist hips and knees wrong if you've never done it or a martial art before. Even doing it slowly is challenging. Tai chi maybe worth looking into?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It sounds counter-intuitive, but doing things that are weight-bearing and that use your new joints can be a good thing. My father has a knee replacement--he walks like a fiend and does peddle kayaking. His ortho says that his knee looks amazing three years out from the surgery.

What do your doctor and PT say about what you should be doing?

Of course swimming is a great idea, but it doesn't have to be the only thing you do.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I'd be chatting with your doctors. We are unaware of how badly you are in need of the knee and hip replacement.

It is doubtful they would suggest against water work.....but I'd confirm with them what exercises you should be doing. For instance when I was first started fixing my pelvic alignment my Chiropractor preferred I did aqua walking and then jogging while progressing before starting to front crawl in the water (which twists your spine).

So check with your medical professionals first. Also make sure they understand physical activities.....because I've had some that didn't.