Can anyone recommend...

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm re-starting my diet/fitness after falling off it for quite a while!

Anyway, I want to work out how many calories I use on an average day (before exercise). MFP has put me at 1770, but I think this is too little and I'd like to work out an acurate amount.

I looked at buying a heart rate monitor but read advice that theseare only good for when exercising.

I also looked at the 24hr heart rate monitors but these are expensive.

Can anyone racommend something that will acturately calculate or track my daily calories, I looked online but can only find simple calculators that I can't imagine being acurate.

Any suggestions greatly received thanks :)

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Activity Trackers can help (but nothing is going to be 100% accurate) a few of the most common ones are:

Fitbit ($60-100) - I own the Zip (cheapest model) and it actually underestimates on my calories burned. It does help me get a better idea of my activity level though. It tracks steps and distance. The One can track sleep and stairs along with everything the Zip tracks. The Flex can track sleep and is water proof (swimming) along with everything the Zip tracks. Has a free iphone app and android app (only works with a few galaxy phones though). The website is also free. Oh and all Fitbit's can sync wirelessly to your computer or use bluetooth to sync to the supported phones.

Jawbone Up - Similar to Fitbit. From what I've read (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the smart phone app is the only way to view the data collected and you have to actually plug it in to your phone.

Nike Fuel - Don't know much about this one. I didn't like the way it looked so didn't do much research.

BodyMedia Fit - Band you have to wear on your upper arm. Uses skin sensors to help determine calorie burn. Have to pay a subscription fee to view the data from the device.

Basis Watch - Currently can't buy without an email invitation and have to be in the US. $199 Has all the functions of Bodymedia Fit plus a constant HRM. From what I can tell it doesn't require a subscription fee to view the data.
  • xmel123x
    xmel123x Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks very much, I'm in the UK but shall look these up and see what availability/prices are.

Another option, is there such thing (and if so does anyone know of one) as a free online calculator that can work out a reasonable estimate? The calculators I've looked at just asknfor your height, weight, etc plus if you exercise level is sedentry/moderate/high etc. Obviously this isn't going to give me any better an estimate than on MFP, I was wondering if anyone knew of any that ask more in depth questions.

Thank you :)
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't get too hung up on being super exact on your BMR.

Why?

Because when you come to logging food and exercise, are you really *really* going to be super exact on that too? Actual calorie burn during exercise (net of your normal 'at rest' calorie burn) is also an estimate based on height/weight/age/sex. And every food label is just an estimate based on a sample.

I'd just get your numbers in place from the online calculators and go with that. As long as you're eating clean, eating often, small portions, lots of water and 30 mins+ exercise then..... you'll be even more glowing and gorgeous than you already are :)

Simples.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    The one I use, and have seen recommended the most is http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I may be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that exact accuracy is going to be spotty at best. The more important thing is to get a reasonable estimate (which I'm pretty sure the above calculator gives) and then to work consistently off of that number. You can give your body a month or so to adjust to whatever level you're at and then add or subtract calories gradually until you find what works best. Good luck with it!
  • 63lab
    63lab Posts: 80
    Options
    hi! i've got the fitbit ( from amazon ) and its great.it gives you your tdee so its more accurate than estimating it ,in my opinion.you only have to add extra workout energy expenditure from lifting etc.
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    As others have said, there is never going to be a completely accurate way of determining a base figure for your personal calorie burn before exercise. It will vary quite a bit from day to day. It's not an exact science.
    I use a Fitbit Flex (and before that a Fitbit Ultra) and that is useful just as a general indicator of how active you are on any given day compared to previous days but in no way is it accurate to determine just how many steps or calories you have burned. It is a good motivational tool and fun to use.
    I also use a Garmin 910XT HRM which I use to track my sporting and cardio activities, take a low MFP calories allowance of 1200 cals before exercise and take it from there.
    A good HRM is the best way I have found to determine calories burns.
  • xmel123x
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't get too hung up on being super exact on your BMR.

Why?

Because when you come to logging food and exercise, are you really *really* going to be super exact on that too? Actual calorie burn during exercise (net of your normal 'at rest' calorie burn) is also an estimate based on height/weight/age/sex. And every food label is just an estimate based on a sample.

I'd just get your numbers in place from the online calculators and go with that. As long as you're eating clean, eating often, small portions, lots of water and 30 mins+ exercise then..... you'll be even more glowing and gorgeous than you already are :)

Simples.

Good point, and thanks :smile:
  • xmel123x
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I've just tried the online calculator and it's coming up with approx. 2200 calories per day for my TDEE, that sounds a little more realistic to me.

Even though I wrote accurate, I didn't actually think it would be accurate, just a more precise estimate! The thing is I don't think a lot of these calculators take enough into account. I work for myself and do spend time sitting at a desk (average 15 hours a week), however other than that I am an extremely busy person, and spend all my other time from 7am until 9pm on my feet, I also have a reasonable metabolism and reasonable muscle, and this isn't taking into account any exercise I try and fit in. I'm not trying to loose weight so much as loose a bit of body fat and get lean and toned. Any of the calculators I've looked at don't really take these things into account.

I tried living on 1200 calories as suggested by MFP a while back and needless to say it didn't last very long as I actually felt like I was starving to death. lol.

Might have a look to see what I can find on amazon, although hoping not to spend a lot. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I've just tried the online calculator and it's coming up with approx. 2200 calories per day for my TDEE, that sounds a little more realistic to me.

Even though I wrote accurate, I didn't actually think it would be accurate, just a more precise estimate! The thing is I don't think a lot of these calculators take enough into account. I work for myself and do spend time sitting at a desk (average 15 hours a week), however other than that I am an extremely busy person, and spend all my other time from 7am until 9pm on my feet, I also have a reasonable metabolism and reasonable muscle, and this isn't taking into account any exercise I try and fit in. I'm not trying to loose weight so much as loose a bit of body fat and get lean and toned. Any of the calculators I've looked at don't really take these things into account.

I tried living on 1200 calories as suggested by MFP a while back and needless to say it didn't last very long as I actually felt like I was starving to death. lol.

Might have a look to see what I can find on amazon, although hoping not to spend a lot. :)

if you only want to lose a little bodyfat, then i would suggest you do TDEE -10%, make sure you measure and take pictures of yourself, try it for 6 weeks, and then re-evaluate and raise/lower your cals as necessary. as others have said, its all just an estimate.