Recording Dinner Calories Advice

Options
Anyone have good advice for recording dinner calories? I feel like I do so well recording breakfast/lunch/snacks but when it comes to figuring out calories for dinner I just don't do it. It's mostly because it's lasagna or a casserole etc and too much work to figure it out with portions.

Replies

• MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    The recipe builder really is easy once you get used to it. I usually plan out my recipe to get a basic idea of the calories before I even head to the kitchen. If I adjust anything while I'm cooking, I make a note of it, and when I have any downtime during cooking, I make the adjustments in the recipe builder. It has taken awhile, but I have all my favorite recipes in here, so I can just add that to my log easy peasy ( still making any adjustments when I need to)
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    The recipe builder is a great tool. I'm making a velveeta and sausage dip tonight and bacon wrapped lil smokies and was able to enter the recipes. When I make casseroles and such I weigh the cooking container before food is added then weigh the finished product, subtract the weight of container and divide the weight to find serving size.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Recipe builder can be scary at first but with just a little practice it is easy peasy and no more excuses to not log! :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the recipe builder. It can be a bit of a pain in the butt, but it's definitely the most accurate way to log recipes and homemade foods.
  • LulaicaLoses
    LulaicaLoses Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Going to also toss my hat in with the recipe calculator. I love it, especially with recipes found online since I can usually just enter the site address and let it do the work.
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the recipe builder, I find it really helpful. I have all kinds of things stored now from simple dishes with only 3 ingredients to more elaborate dishes with about 15 or more ingredients.
    If you love lasagne and casseroles (I love them) then the recipe builder is definitely something to try.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I prelog all my food before the beginning of the week (I eat the same food Monday - Friday) or in the morning on the weekends before I've eaten anything.

There's only 2 in my house so we cook individual serves for "mixed up" meals and just log all the ingredients separately. I sometimes use the recipe builder for stuff I make in bulk to freeze..
  • gooz71
    gooz71 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i use the recipe builder most often for dinner.