Shorties like me under 5'5 positive vibes only!

Options

Replies

• jenniferj0417
    jenniferj0417 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My name is Petra. I just turned 40, I am 5'1.5", and it feels weird to talk openly to others about weight loss. I have been too embarrassed to admit my weight to anyone but a close friend, my doctor and my kids. Here is my story:
    I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2013, and while I was actually at what I considered a decent weight, I was put on one medication after another to help the pain, fatigue, and other debilitating symptoms. Then I was prescribed Cymbalta and Lyrica, and suddenly gained about 80 lbs (!) in 7 months. Somewhere in between, I told myself, if I reached 200 lbs, I would no longer want to live... Well, turns out, I really like to live and survived; probably, because luckily, I reportedly look about 30 lbs lighter than I am. My heaviest was 222 lbs. By November 29th this year I was at 216 lbs and nothing was moving off my hips or anywhere else. Then my doctor recommended FitnessPal and a temporary weight loss medication, after we determined that weight loss surgery would not be for me. Yesterday, after 45 days of diligently logging every calorie bearing thing I consumed and getting a bit more exercise, I have lost 16.4 pounds. For the first time since March 2014, I am under the weight that used to spell "not worthy to be alive" to me... :blush::smile: I am down from a U.S. size 22 (at my biggest) to a 16 that is beginning to loosen up, and now convinced I can get back to 150 lbs or less. I have been pretty much alone on my weight loss journey so far and hoping to find some extra support and maybe a few friends along the way. Cheers! :smiley:

Wow! Your story is amazing! I also dreaded the big 2. I always told myself if I ever got to 200 pounds that's would just be way too much and of course I went over 200 pounds so I definitely know the feeling! My fitness pal has helped me a lot. The people on here are amazing and so encouraging. We can and we will do this!
  • jenniferj0417
    Options
    tls272016 wrote: »
    Hi all, I am 27 5ft 4 and have 3 children aged 8 5 1 and I want to lose 28lbs to be back at my pre baby weight. I lost 14lb last year but then went on two holidays, did not stick at it and gained it all back :( but I am now 2 weeks in and I have lost 5lbs so far :)
    SW 158
    CW 153
    GW 130

Wow you can do it! Congrats on your loss! You'll be there before you know it.
  • jenniferj0417
    Options
    M_Izod wrote: »
    I'm 5'2 !!
    Definitely feels like it 90% more noticeable when I gain a littke weight. it also feels like it's harder to see results being short. I tend to lose weight in my chest area and thighs befire anywhere else and it drives ne nuts. So far I've lost over all 30lbs since Jan 2015

Amazing! 30 pounds so far that is very encouraging! You go girl!
  • M_Izod
    M_Izod Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    M_Izod wrote: »
    I'm 5'2 !!
    Definitely feels like it 90% more noticeable when I gain a littke weight. it also feels like it's harder to see results being short. I tend to lose weight in my chest area and thighs befire anywhere else and it drives ne nuts. So far I've lost over all 30lbs since Jan 2015

Amazing! 30 pounds so far that is very encouraging! You go girl!
    I've yo yod the entire time so it is very relieving and frustrating!! Thank you btw :)

• missebees
    missebees Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and 159 pounds right now. My end goal is 120 pounds, but I'm taking it slow, 10 pound losses at a time. I don't want to have to restrict my eating because I LOVE to eat, but hate to exercise, so working on a vegan diet (was vegetarian anyway) and am going to try to start running so I can get away with eating more when I reach my goal weight ;D Also for the health benefits, of course. I would love new friends!
  • chinita96
    chinita96 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm a shortie (5'2") and need to lose around 10-15 lbs. Feel free to add me!
  • ericalillykristene
    ericalillykristene Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and need to lose 10-15 lbs. I've always been tiny never had to diet in my life so this has been an ongoing challenge this last year. But I look and feel awful so not stopping. The barely sleeping when dieting/no drinking is the worst part for me. Feel free to add me ladies :) I'm a motivational speaker as well.
  • marji1974
    marji1974 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm 5" andneed to lose 50-70. I could use motivation to keep in track. Have been up and down my whole life. Lose 60 pounds more than 10 years ago and gained it all back. At my heaviest was 225, 2 years ago lost 50 bad choices and restrictions after surgery has contributed to me gaining more than 1/2 my weight back. I'm trying to get back on track again. Please feel free to add me.
  • jenniferj0417
    Options
    yogagirlT wrote: »
    Trying to lose at least 50 pounds. By being short it seems like it's much easier to gain weight. I'm like a yoyo, my weight goes up and down. I have a hard time losing weight and keeping it off. I am a chef and sometimes it's hard to eat healthy. I am taking baby steps to change ingredients in my favorite dishes to make them more healthy. I'm looking for women around my size for tips and motivation!

I am 5 ft and I know the struggle all to well. 5 lbs on us short women looks and feels like 20. I would be happy to share swap out ingredient tips to help you. I am not a chef but I love to cook and am a foodie (and love my wine--and part Sicilian!)

You are taking a great first step. I also highly recommend starting out with some exercise. I work with a health coach and I am also a Zumba teacher. I passed along this tip to my students that I got from her. You can break up 30 minutes of exercise with 10 minute exercise breaks--one in the AM, afternoon and one later in the evening. Or even 5 minutes. Think small and work your way up. Exercise will get your metabolism revved up.

For me, portion control is huge and watching my carbs and sugar. I got off track over the holidays but am tracking again which is my saving grace. It is all about being mindful and not beating yourself up.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I have tons of ideas for recipe swaps and I live tweaking recipes to make them healthier with more wholesome and clean ingredients.

Hang in there!

Great! Portion control is my downfall too. I was thinking about starting Zumba but then I feel like I would be out of place( I have no rhythm what so ever)! Lol but great I would love to swap recipes!
  • jenniferj0417
    Options
    missebees wrote: »
    I'm 5'0 and 159 pounds right now. My end goal is 120 pounds, but I'm taking it slow, 10 pound losses at a time. I don't want to have to restrict my eating because I LOVE to eat, but hate to exercise, so working on a vegan diet (was vegetarian anyway) and am going to try to start running so I can get away with eating more when I reach my goal weight ;D Also for the health benefits, of course. I would love new friends!

That's great! By doing those things you will be at your goal weight before you know it!
  • jenniferj0417
    Options
    marji1974 wrote: »
    I'm 5" andneed to lose 50-70. I could use motivation to keep in track. Have been up and down my whole life. Lose 60 pounds more than 10 years ago and gained it all back. At my heaviest was 225, 2 years ago lost 50 bad choices and restrictions after surgery has contributed to me gaining more than 1/2 my weight back. I'm trying to get back on track again. Please feel free to add me.

You can do this girl! I'm
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose at least 50 pounds. By being short it seems like it's much easier to gain weight. I'm like a yoyo, my weight goes up and down. I have a hard time losing weight and keeping it off. I am a chef and sometimes it's hard to eat healthy. I am taking baby steps to change ingredients in my favorite dishes to make them more healthy. I'm looking for women around my size for tips and motivation!

I am 5 ft and I know the struggle all to well. 5 lbs on us short women looks and feels like 20. I would be happy to share swap out ingredient tips to help you. I am not a chef but I love to cook and am a foodie (and love my wine--and part Sicilian!)

You are taking a great first step. I also highly recommend starting out with some exercise. I work with a health coach and I am also a Zumba teacher. I passed along this tip to my students that I got from her. You can break up 30 minutes of exercise with 10 minute exercise breaks--one in the AM, afternoon and one later in the evening. Or even 5 minutes. Think small and work your way up. Exercise will get your metabolism revved up.

For me, portion control is huge and watching my carbs and sugar. I got off track over the holidays but am tracking again which is my saving grace. It is all about being mindful and not beating yourself up.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I have tons of ideas for recipe swaps and I live tweaking recipes to make them healthier with more wholesome and clean ingredients.

Hang in there!

Great! Portion control is my downfall too. I was thinking about starting Zumba but then I feel like I would be out of place( I have no rhythm what so ever)! Lol but great I would love to swap recipes!

Seriously, just take a class and try it out. I always told my nervous students it is all about moving and having fun and you will get the hang of the routines. The choreography is repetitive and Zumba is all about having fun!

I think someone already mentioned swapping out fat like butter in recipes. I also use less sugar in recipes or I try to replace with more natural sugar like honey, real maple sugar, or palm coconut sugar. Yes, they still have calories but it is a better alternative, in my opinion, than processed white sugar. Also, opt for homemade dressings with olive oil and I love using rice wine vinegar for marinades and dressing. As a chef, you know it's all about herbs and seasoning so add that garlic and fresh herbs to play up the food flavors instead of loading up on the salt. If you want to use salt, I love Himalayan pink salt and is loaded with nutrients. Just a few tips when I cook.

Have you ever used a waterless pan? They are expensive but you don't need oil and meat and veggies come out amazing and less fat that way when you cook meat.
  • jenniferj0417
    Options

Hang in there!

Seriously, just take a class and try it out. I always told my nervous students it is all about moving and having fun and you will get the hang of the routines. The choreography is repetitive and Zumba is all about having fun!

I think someone already mentioned swapping out fat like butter in recipes. I also use less sugar in recipes or I try to replace with more natural sugar like honey, real maple sugar, or palm coconut sugar. Yes, they still have calories but it is a better alternative, in my opinion, than processed white sugar. Also, opt for homemade dressings with olive oil and I love using rice wine vinegar for marinades and dressing. As a chef, you know it's all about herbs and seasoning so add that garlic and fresh herbs to play up the food flavors instead of loading up on the salt. If you want to use salt, I love Himalayan pink salt and is loaded with nutrients. Just a few tips when I cook.

Have you ever used a waterless pan? They are expensive but you don't need oil and meat and veggies come out amazing and less fat that way when you cook meat.

Those are great tips! Thank you! No I haven't used a waterless pan but now I will purchase one. So far poaching, boiling and baking are my only options so I would love to try that. As for Zumba I'm going to give it a try. I'm just so shy! I'm going to join a class and update you on how it went. Lol
  • zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, down about 25lbs last year, at least 65 more to go. (My current goal is 150, still overweight but safely maintainable. I'll reassess once I get there). Being little and heavy definitely has its own challenges. Especially shopping.
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Hang in there!

Those are great tips! Thank you! No I haven't used a waterless pan but now I will purchase one. So far poaching, boiling and baking are my only options so I would love to try that. As for Zumba I'm going to give it a try. I'm just so shy! I'm going to join a class and update you on how it went. Lol

Yayyy! :) Just try out a class and see how you like it. Don't worry, you aren't the only shy Zumba student out there. Just have fun and move--what dancing is all about. Yes, please keep me posted.

I swear by the waterless pans and my slow cooker, especially when it's cold and I want to make comfort food. :) I made this delish new lemon chicken recipe tonight for dinner. I used to subscribe to emeals and this was a healthy portion control recipe for the slow cooker. Instead of light sour cream, I used plain Greek yogurt and was just as good. My neighbor gave me a ton of fresh lemons from her tree so wanted to use the lemons. Mmm yum!
  • annobrien406
    annobrien406 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im four ft ten.add me please
  • diaxyz23
    diaxyz23 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    5'3, 35 pounds to lose.