Healthy Recipes for Lazy People

Options
So you have any quick and yummy meals that I can pre-prep and stash in my freezer? Heat them up in a pot or oven or slow cooker when I'm ready to eat? Neither me or my husband enjoy cooking. Or the cleanup.

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine and SmartOnes are mine lol IJS. xD Good luck. xo
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I don't do this much but I know it's popular, Google "freezer meals" and you'll find any number of mummy blogs giving ideas. Also lots on YouTube. There's one I came across the other day called "the encouraging homeschool mom" which had freezer meal ideas.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I don't use specific meals for freezer, i just cook dishes, portion, freeze.
  • Slbyrd45
    Slbyrd45 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I cooked a big pot of beef vegetable soup and turkey chilli this weekend . I'll freeze remainder in portion sz containers for the remainder of the week .
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    A few hours of meal prep on Sunday, covers my food for the entire week! Weight it, cook it, portion it and freeze it. Simple.
  • rnedwbt
    rnedwbt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I did this "7 crock pot freezer meals in 30 minutes" session. It was SO EASY. And really did take 30 minutes. We've eaten about half the meal so far, and they've been good.

http://newleafwellness.biz/2016/04/10/7-crockpot-freezer-meals-in-30-minutes/
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I had a quick look at your diary and you really don't like cooking! One way around some of the preparation is to buy frozen veg to put in your food, as it's usually chopped up ready to go and can be cheaper than fresh. The veg bulks out the meal, which personally makes me feel more satisfied than small amounts of calorie dense food. One pot stews will keep down the washing up.

I sometimes make sausages on a sweet pepper and cannellini bean "stew" that's easy to make. Fry sliced onions (one large/ ~200g) in a little oil until starting to brown, add sliced sweet peppers (200-500g), teaspoon of smoked paprika, tin of cannellini beans and carton of passata (or tin of chopped tomato), add a veg/ham stock cube plus any herbs you like (thyme works quite well) then simmer for 20 mins whilst sausages cook. Or something like this http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1940689/beef-and-vegetable-casserole- which is easy to make, it just takes a while in the oven whilst you get on with other things.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Soups are easy, and you can buy pre-cut frozen veggies to put in them if you want to skip a lot of prep.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Get some veggies you like (pre-cleaned at the store if you can't be bothered), toss in a little oil with spices or seasonings you like, roast in the oven. Only one pan to clean.
    If you google some with protein you like - chicken, salmon, etc. - you'll get lots of combinations and cooking times so you can make the whole meal all at once. Make a lot and you can save leftovers for lunches or freeze.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/packages/recipes-for-kids/kids-weeknight-dinners/sheet-pan-dinners.html
    http://damndelicious.net/2015/06/24/10-easy-and-simple-sheet-pan-recipes/
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast in the crock pot covered with salsa. Once it's cooked through, shred the chicken with a fork. You can use it in burritos/burrito bowls, tacos, on a salad, by itself, etc. You can keep half in the fridge to eat within the next few days, and freeze the other half, or however you'd like to do it.

I also find that chili is easy to make in the crock pot, and freezes nicely. (Or thaws nicely? Either way, it tastes just as good after being frozen.) It can be made with ground beef, ground turkey or ground chicken, or even without meat if that's what you prefer.

Like others have said, there's an enormous amount of recipes online for crock pot and/or freezer meals. I tend to do a lot of cooking on Sunday, so that I have most of the food for the week prepared, and the dishes are washed and put up. I don't use many dishes to reheat the food or put the prepped components together.

Additionally, if you like salads, that's a great meal that can be made any way you like, in one bowl/container.