iPhone steps counter? Question

So I walked a whole freak load today and it only counted as 1k steps for the whole day lol I know I did way freaken more than a lousy 1k... I had my phone on the stroller as I was walking, did that make a difference? Should I keep my phone on my pocket or something for the steps to count? I know iPhone isn't the most reliable steps counter but I'm just curious. Thanks!

Replies

• anastasias30
    anastasias30 Posts: 122 Member
    Try keeping it in your pocket next time. That is what I do and the count is correct.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Yes, you need to keep it on you. The iPhone uses its built in accelerometer and gyroscopes to track steps, not GPS. If you'd prefer keeping your phone in the stroller as you walk, there are apps that calculate burned calories by using GPS to track distance covered. MapMyFitness and Endomondo are two that come to mind, and both sync well with MFP.
  • alarmed123
    alarmed123 Posts: 87 Member
    Omg thank you very much! I'll do that.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    I love Map My Walk!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Sometimes phones just do not register steps very accurately :/

I have two step apps on my phone, one built in, one is an app and also have Fitbit. With the two apps on the mobile they can both be as far out as 5000 steps in any one day, and how they count also depends where I have my phone...(needs to be in my pocket rather than just being carried in my handbag).