Anyone healthy (enough) and tend to eat a lot of sodium?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited January 2017 in Food and Nutrition
because I seem to be unable to happily get under the recommended amount and Im typically over 3000mg per day. I like condiments so even if I just eat salad I end up over. This jalapeno salsa I am using I just found out is like 800mg just for 4 tbsp lol which is like 20 calories. & I understand fresh is best but I have disabled children and I cant make everything fresh for myself. I seriously dont have the time or Id be majorly under eating. I also dont have the cash. This jar of salsa was like $2 and it would cost a lot more to buy all the ingredients in it. I stick to convenience. So Im just wondering if anyone is doing well but eats a lot of sodium?

Replies

• matthelmet
    matthelmet Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm often over sodium and sugar. One thing at a time. I'm watching calories and it's already forcing me to eat better.
  • quartknee11
    quartknee11 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If you eat a lot of sodium you might weigh more because of water weight..but If you drink tons of water you can prevent that so just make sure to drink a lot of water. Also, check other items on the shelf similar to it. Are there low sodium options? For example, when I get taco seasoning I get the low sodium option and it tastes the same to me.

That's the only advice I have since I haven't really gone over yet (only been with this app for a week) and in the past I only focused on calories not sodium or anything else and lost weight.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I do not pay attention to sodium or sugar. I am frequently way over on sugar and often to the limit on sodium because I tend to eat frozen food a lot. I do notice it causes me to retain water.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I don't even look at the sodium measurement, even if I did, it wouldn't be accurate because I salt 95% of my food. I have low blood pressure, so I don't worry about it for now...If the blood pressure starts rising, I'll pay better attention.
  • Verity1111
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you eat a lot of sodium you might weigh more because of water weight..but If you drink tons of water you can prevent that so just make sure to drink a lot of water. Also, check other items on the shelf similar to it. Are there low sodium options? For example, when I get taco seasoning I get the low sodium option and it tastes the same to me.

That's the only advice I have since I haven't really gone over yet (only been with this app for a week) and in the past I only focused on calories not sodium or anything else and lost weight.

I drink a lot of water. I don't really drink anything else. I've had about 5 16.9oz bottles so far today and Im sure Ill have 2-3 more before bed. This is typical. Thanks for the advice fellow Potthead :)
  • Verity1111
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I do not pay attention to sodium or sugar. I am frequently way over on sugar and often to the limit on sodium because I tend to eat frozen food a lot. I do notice it causes me to retain water.

Me too but once Im thin I assume a couple lbs wont bother me lol
    I don't even look at the sodium measurement, even if I did, it wouldn't be accurate because I salt 95% of my food. I have low blood pressure, so I don't worry about it for now...If the blood pressure starts rising, I'll pay better attention.

Good point. My BP is pretty good but its up a bit with my weight. Still healthy though and normally low.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    matthelmet wrote: »
    I'm often over sodium and sugar. One thing at a time. I'm watching calories and it's already forcing me to eat better.

Also a good point :) thanks!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Do you have negative reactions to salt intake? Do you have a health reason as stated by a medical professional to reduce your intake? Do you have a family history that suggest you limit your salt intake? If you answered no to all of those questions, don't worry about the number. If you answered yes to any of them, consult a medical professional for advice.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i dont track sodium or sugar. i eat a lot of fruit and i dont track my salt when cooking. I do use a ton of salt tho lol (salty palate) and all my bloodwork as always been fine.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I have a medical requirement for additional sodium.

Even without processed foods and condiments I achieve this by adding a little salt to home cooked meals etc.

I hate to think how much salt I would eat if I were eating processed stuff too.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Thank you everyone! This all helped a lot. :) I do have some people in my genetic line with high blood pressure, but mine is good unless I'm anxious (I have an anxiety disorder) and I don't think that counts. lol.