Steady state or HIIT for obese person?

Options
When it comes to burning fat, which is better for someone who is obese and still a long way from healthy? Steady state cardio or HIIT?

I’d always thought that HIIT was the way to go and better for losing weight, but I’ve read a couple of articles that say until you are very fit, steady state cardio may be better. As the calorie burn is higher and because you aren’t very fit you cannot keep up to HIIT for very long.

At the moment I do weights in the gym 2 x a week. I then do 1 x a week something I enjoy which at the moment is swimming but going to try Zumba next week.

I have started getting up early to exercise on my treadmill before work but am still very unfit (over 200lbs). At the moment I walk at 3mph, jog at 4mph and run at 5mph. I go on the treadmill for 40 mins and do a mix of these speeds. Usually ending up with at least 20 mins of walking.

Looking forward, I wasn’t sure if I should be looking to increase the amount of time on the treadmill so I can cover more distance, in say an hour. Or keep to the 40 mins and increase the intensity, maybe ending up with more of a HIIT kind of work out. Right now, it all feels pretty high intensity (doesn’t feel steady state at all lol) and I am very red and sweaty at the end of it.

Just trying to figure out what my goals should be. I like to have a goal to work towards, whether that would be jogging 4 mile non stop (in a longer time frame) or keeping to the 40 mins but increasing my speeds. Would appreciate some advice please :)

Replies

• Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm still overweight (by bmi)

The whole point of HIIT is that it doesnt need to be increased in a time variable, just in what you push yourself through (higher weights, bigger jumps, faster sprinters). Most HIIT is done in 30mins and under.

My weight has not changed since doing HIIT but I have been losing fat and inches (and receiving compliments like no tomorrow).

I dont do any steady state except for maybe walking and/or body combat, but combat isnt even that steady (if you have a good teacher).

If you enjoy HIIT do HIIT with running/jogging. I like nothing more than coming out in a sweaty mess crawling to the changing rooms cause my legs are too much like jelly after HIIT to stand up. :) not really what you were looking for but if you do exercise you like you will keep it up.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I tried both and I find that steady does it better for me, I lose fat faster. It was like that when I was 40 pounds overweight and it's still now like that. That being said, I enjoy HIIT more even if it does not work that well. I'm a big believer that you should try it out yourself and see what works for you best, there isn't the best, our bodies are different and for one person HIIT might be the best for weight loss and for other not. I know some people who say they lose more fat faster with HIIT while that is not my case. Also, it's probably the best to switch things up once in a while anyways cos one thing for too long and your body will get used to it most likely.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    For someone starting out who is obese, I still think your volume of exercise minutes is the best initial direction--rather than focusing on intensity.

However, that doesn't mean staying with steady-state exercise only. Not at all. I think you should do a mix of endurance training and higher-intensity training. But rather than the current fad version of HIIT, I would recommended doing interval training and tempo training for your higher-intensity work.

Let's use simple definitions: by "interval training" I mean alternating work and recovery intervals--the "work" interval can be any intensity that is higher than your steady-state workload, and "recovery" is your steady-state workload or a little less.

By "tempo training" I am referring to longer work intervals or sustaining a higher intensity for most of the workout.

A mix of these types of training will allow you to increase your endurance ability, increase your fitness level, burn a larger chunk of calories during your cardio workouts, provide variety to your routine, and will be more tolerable than doing harder, "all-out" interval workouts. There is a place for those types of workouts, but they probably won't work as well for you at this time.

And, it goes without saying that you still would include a lifting routine as well.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback and tips everyone :)
  • PepePants
    PepePants Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I say do both! Steady state will increase your endurance and is a slow fat burn while building muscles and toning. HIIT also helps with your endurance but is more effective is you are consistently working out. Good luck!
  • Faery_Dust
    Options
    I say do both! Steady state will increase your endurance and is a slow fat burn while building muscles and toning. HIIT also helps with your endurance but is more effective is you are consistently working out. Good luck!

Thanks, that sounds a great idea :flowerforyou:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I always thought you were supposed to build an aerobic base before starting hiit training. And even then not to overdo it. (Ducking for cover now)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I always thought you were supposed to build an aerobic base before starting hiit training. And even then not to overdo it. (Ducking for cover now)

That's what I'd thought too.......there's another thread today about an obese woman who suffered a stroke a couple of days after a hilly 1 mile walk (not that there's necessarily a link between the two events).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1050295-extreme-walk-causing-a-stroke
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

wuhwhat.gif
  • neilmogs
    neilmogs Posts: 6
    Options
    if i was in your shoes i would do a 5 min warm up then aim to build up to 5.9 mph for 30 min followed with a 5 min warm down. do this 3 or 4 days spread over the week. when you are unable to lose more weight then introduce hiit 5 min warm up followed with 4 min 5.9 mph followed with 1 min running full effort repeat for 30 min then 5 min warm down . full effort means what running speed is full effort for you be it 7,8,9,10,11 mph . always use 5.9 mph as your 4 min recovery period if you feel that your 1 min full effort is getting easy then slightly increase it. CAUTION ALWAYS CONSULT YOUR GP BEFORE ANY NEW EXERCISE especially hiit .
  • Faery_Dust
    Options
    Thanks for your reply :)