Buttcheek pain from lifting

Options
Hi all!
So this week I got back into weight training after a week off and yesterday I did a lot of heavy lifting. I decided to use weights that were 20 pounds more than what I was used to.

I did a lot of leg/glute exercises and at the time it felt good. Then today I wake up peachy, go to the gym peachy and then I start running. 20 minutes into my run my lower right back and upper right buttcheek start hurting (mildly. I ignore it and continue)
Its not until I stop running 40 minutes later that the whole area hurts really bad.

And i ignore it (honestly i just assumed i pulled a muscle) and i walk for about 15 and i want to start running again.
But when i pick up the pace my buttcheek is in soo much pain like knives.

I stopped and stretch and it did relieve and sooth the pain. But now everytime i walk and deive my buttcheek hurts and i have to limp.

Has anyone ever experienced this before?
Ive only been lifting for about 3 months and Ive never gotten injured before. Also my form is always really good, bit i do work really fast and i dont take breaks.

Thoughts/advice?

Also if i ignore it and just take ibuprofen would that make it worse. I just dont want to stop gym time and reverse my hard work.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would avoid any exercises that cause sharp pain to the area. Beyond that I would take it easy and let it heal up. If it's not improving rapidly I'd get it looked at.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Right butt cheek pain is often a sign of a pinched Sciatic nerve. I would highly recommend seeing your doctor as soon as possible. Also, brief rests (typically 60 seconds for beginner lifters between sets) are crucial. I'm sure you also don't need anyone telling you that upping your weight by 20lbs even when you haven't been on a lifting hiatus isn't the best thing for your body. Hope you feel better soon.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    the limping sounds like the sciatic pinch i got in the last weeks of my pregnancy. it could be that piriformis type stretches could help you a bit. one-sidedness reminds me of the time i got my pelvis rotated and couldn't stand on one leg until i had straightened it out.

but, yeah. get a hands-on diagnosis from a professional if it doesn't show signs of improving with rest and the usual stuff.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Time to check yourself and take a step back. I know you have good momentum right now and don't want to stop, but continuing your current routine through pain is only setting you up for potential long term damage. I speak from experience. Let yourself heal (i.e. rest) and ease back into it (i.e. drop the weight, slow down, and get your form to perfect instead of "pretty good"). If it persists, see a doctor asap.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    With all the heavy lifting and running could be a piriformis strain. If the pain radiates down your leg could also be sciatica, but what you are describing sound more muscular. Would avoid running and heavy glute activities for a week or 2 and then gradually increasing your weights over time and see how it feels.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Wait, you thought it was a pulled muscle but you didn't think that an injury--because that's what a pulled muscle is, an injury--warranted taking a break? If you notice something causing pain when you are doing it, STOP DOING IT. Pushing through pain for another 40 minutes after you think you've just pulled a muscle it is not a good idea. Pulled muscles don't heal because you keep straining them, they heal when you take the pressure off and allow them to repair themselves. Stop and stretch, rest, switch to something else, but don't just keep doing the same thing with increasing pain and think it's going to somehow fix the problem. Pushing through pain and injury doesn't improve performance, it's more likely to set you back with a longer recovery time.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    MeiannaLee wrote: »
    Hi all!
    So this week I got back into weight training after a week off and yesterday I did a lot of heavy lifting. I decided to use weights that were 20 pounds more than what I was used to.

I did a lot of leg/glute exercises and at the time it felt good. Then today I wake up peachy, go to the gym peachy and then I start running. 20 minutes into my run my lower right back and upper right buttcheek start hurting (mildly. I ignore it and continue)
    Its not until I stop running 40 minutes later that the whole area hurts really bad.

And i ignore it (honestly i just assumed i pulled a muscle) and i walk for about 15 and i want to start running again.

I stopped and stretch and it did relieve and sooth the pain. But now everytime i walk and deive my buttcheek hurts and i have to limp.

Ive only been lifting for about 3 months and Ive never gotten injured before. Also my form is always really good, bit i do work really fast and i dont take breaks.

Thoughts/advice?

Also if i ignore it and just take ibuprofen would that make it worse. I just dont want to stop gym time and reverse my hard work.

Sounds like something similar to what I have. Sciatic nerve pain. Chill out. Take a little while off (I should probably take my own advice...LOL) and use Icy Hot Patches to alleviate the pain.

You might think your form is really good, but sciatic nerve pain is more often than not caused by improper form. Have a trainer check you and help you for a week or two when returning. Form looks different from your view versus an outsiders stand point.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I would vote for piriformis or a high hamstring strain affecting the ischial tuberosity.

I would start here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ517Rw7ME

And see how it goes. If the pain persists at the same intensity even after a few days of rest, it's time to see a sports med doc because it likely won't resolve on its own.
  • BeautifullyBroken50
    Options
    I have experienced this many times. I know that hot poker feeling in the butt cheek. It sounds to me like sciatica. When I get it that bad I have to take muscle relaxers for a few days and at times a steroid pack ( as I type I am going thru this). Massage helps but mostly rest , ice/ heat and relaxers or ibuprofen. The tighter my hamstrings get it aggravates the piriformis in turn presses on the sciatic nerve. Also, can be a vertebra issue. Hot baths with Epsom salts feel good.
  • BeautifullyBroken50
    Options
    MeiannaLee wrote: »
    Hi all!

Thoughts/advice?

If you don't let it heal and go away, you will be spending more time off than you want to. Do not ignore this. It doesent just go away
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the answers I really appriciate it :)
    Im taking aspirin and using icy hot.
    And im only walking at the gym and doing a lot of stretches through out the day.
  • scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sounds like sciatica. Make sure you are stretching as much as possible, with at least 5 min of hamstring stretches per day. I would check in with a doc too, even though there isn't too much they can do to help now, but hopefully they can prevent making it a long term thing. Mine lasted years after a bad horse accident. Ice the area several times a day.