Kombucha, fact or fiction?

What are your experiences with Kombucha? I keep hearing about all kinds of health benefits, but to me it sounds like woo. Have you reaped benefits from this magic elixer? How does it taste? Depending on your responses, I may buy some to try it out and see if I like it. Any favorite brands or flavors? If I decide to jump into the Kombucha pond, I'll ask for recipes. Thanks, all!

Replies

• nkucic
    nkucic Posts: 3 Member
    Whenever we have a chance we grab a bottle. Not sure if it doesnt anything for you but I love the taste and it feels good in your belly. Lemon and ginger is my favorite.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    My experience with kombucha was seeing it being made for the first time at a friend's house over Christmas. It looked like a pickled placenta in a jar. I don't think I could bring myself to drink it.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    I have a lot of digestive issues, and drinking a bottle alongside meals seems to help my stomach. I think the combination of acids/probiotics/enzymes helps me to digest my food properly, which keeps me from getting that feeling of food being "heavy" in my gut as badly.
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    I like the taste, it's kind of fizzy and sour, like unsweetened apple cider. If you're expecting something sweet you will be disappointed. I used to make it, and when I drank it every day it seemed to make my digestion work better ( less gas). I don't think the stuff from the store works as well because they have to pasteurize it and that kills some of the beneficial bacteria. I stopped making it because it was too much trouble to sterilize the bottles.
  • matthelmet
    matthelmet Posts: 32 Member
    I like Synergy Mystic Mango A LOT! It one of those things that I can't believe isn't more calories than it is.

A whole 16 oz bottle is only 100 calories. It's crazy.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    I don't think there is anything magical about it. Buch contains probiotics, which aid in good digestion. When finances permit, I snag a couple of bottles of my favorite local brew (Golda).
  • clrss1
    clrss1 Posts: 17 Member
    Mmm fizzy and crisp and refreshing (to me anyway).. My favorites are clear mind and citrus hops flavored from brew dr. by townshends. I'm not sure where you live but I'm able to purchase it in bulk fills here so it's quite cheap. I like clear mind when I want something herbal (think delicate hints of Rosemary/sage/etc) and the hops version if I new a low cal./alc alternative to beer;) hope that helps!
  • clrss1
    clrss1 Posts: 17 Member
    Also, to answer the other question.. I don't notice any major difference in how I feel but if there are health benefits it can't hurt!
  • emilygduran
    emilygduran Posts: 48 Member
    I enjoy it on occasion. Ginger limeade is my absolute favorite. When I used to make it myself and drink it regularly I think it helped with digestion issues.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,097 Member
    What are your experiences with Kombucha? I keep hearing about all kinds of health benefits, but to me it sounds like woo. Have you reaped benefits from this magic elixer? How does it taste? Depending on your responses, I may buy some to try it out and see if I like it. Any favorite brands or flavors? If I decide to jump into the Kombucha pond, I'll ask for recipes. Thanks, all!

It is full of probiotics, they are good, but they are not magical. Most of the claims are woo as far as I am concerned. I like the taste though.