Why are carbs important @ maintenance

Just having a play about with my settings on here, debating whether to go to maintenance.

Anyway, I notice that carbs jumps up to 50% of my macros at maintenance, now I am surprised that is so high, I kinda thought it would be a fairly equal split of protein and carbs (although I guess that at maintenance not everyone is looking to build muscle).

I L.O.V.E my carbs, but think I would reduce us slightly.
Just wondering out if interested why carbs would automatically be 50%...why are they the main player in your macros at maintenance??

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Spitspot81 wrote: »
    Just having a play about with my settings on here, debating whether to go to maintenance.

Anyway, I notice that carbs jumps up to 50% of my macros at maintenance, now I am surprised that is so high, I kinda thought it would be a fairly equal split of protein and carbs (although I guess that at maintenance not everyone is looking to build muscle).

I L.O.V.E my carbs, but think I would reduce us slightly.
    Just wondering out if interested why carbs would automatically be 50%...why are they the main player in your macros at maintenance??

They default to 50% regardless of your weight management objectives...that's the MFP default.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    They aren't particularly important at maintenance.

MFP's default macro settings are...ummm...usually not great. If you want fewer carbs? Go for it.
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Oh ok, I get it. So it's that they they play a particularly important role during maintenance, just that that's the default and then the individual alters accordingly. Got it..thanks
  • Baruchuda
    Baruchuda Posts: 28 Member
    Please add me as a friend! I can use all the support as I can get, post often, and love commenting on your posts.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Macro percentages are generally less important at maintenance as your overall food allowance is greater.
    I never set a carb limit or goal anyway - unless I'm doing a long cycling event when my limit is 90g per hour.

Protein and fat as minimum goals in grams and carbs as "whatever" gives you more flexibility by the way.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    If anything, carbs should be aligned to your own satiety response and new goals. If anything though, carbs do support muscle recovery.