Is it worth it? Please help a confused girl

Options

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    WOAH! $500/month for a personal trainer?! :noway: How often will you be seeing him, every day for 8 hours a day?? That is too much IMO.

I have no experience with a personal trainer but they should evaluate your goals and work with you to achieve them.

What are his credentials?
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    That price is absolutely insane. I pay 120/month for 2x/week or 215/month for 4x/week with my personal trainer.
    Is the program really worth it? Has he shown you results hes had with other clients to prove it?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    From my reading, the only accurate and repeatable BF measurement is an immersion test. Scales are inaccurate, as are caliper measurements (and caliper tests vary depending on who's doing the "pinching"). My electronic scale can give different weights if I try weighing myself several times in a row.

DEXA scan is as accurate as immersion and much cheaper, though still an expensive medical test. In my opinion (as an older woman) if preferable because it also measures bone density.

Scales are iffy, some of the more expensive newer models are pretty accurate if used correctly. Older or cheaper models are less likely to give an accurate reading. My scale was < 1% different from my DEXA and will not give different readings if I measure several times in a row or days in a row. It's fairly new and was not cheap, though.

Calipers can also be wildly inaccurate in untrained hands.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    what he said about training the muscles you don't use because you sit at the desk all day instead of doing stronglifts, is BS. Also, stronglifts is a beginner programme. it's not "too intermediate" for anyone. It's a beginner programme. The only people that it's likely to be too much for are those who have medical issues or a disability that would make it potentially dangerous or impossible, or are so unfit they can't yet physically do the lifts with a broomstick (in which case they'd work on building up their strength/fitness/flexibility to be able to do that before starting). Anyone who can't yet do the lifts with a 45lb bar, can start lighter either with dumbbells or a lighter bar. Or even just a broomstick until you get the form right to begin with.

The compound lifts in this kind of programme, i.e. squats, DL, bench etc, work the muscles that you don't use due to sitting at a desk all day, and they work them in balance with each other, which gives you a level of functional strength that transfers into other areas, like being able to carry heavy boxes, or be better at sports that require strength, and all sorts. It's ideal for people who sit at a desk all day. You have to start light, learn the form correctly and make sure you've got all that right before you start loading up the bar with heavier and heavier weights, but that's what the programme is and why it's a beginners programme. As to how heavy you end up lifting, that entirely depends on where you start and how quickly your strength improves. At no point are you expected to lift weights that you can't handle. When you get to the point that they're too heavy to do 5x5, you try for 3 workouts and if you still can't do it, you deload, i.e. use less weight for the next workout and work up again.

the main thing I'd caution with stronglifts 5x5 compared to other beginner programmes is that the videos of mehdi doing the lifts don't go into much detail about form, look up Mark Rippetoe's videos on you tube for much more detailed instruction (or, even better buy Rippetoe's book and DVD rather than just little pieces here and there on you tube) and there's also one on you tube of Glenn Pendlay demonstrating the correct form of the Pendlay row which is worth a look. If your goal is to lift heavy then these resources will help you a lot more than a trainer who seems to think that stronglifts 5x5 is an intermediate programme and that doing compound lifts with free weights won't work muscles that don't get used when you sit at a desk all day.

As for body fat percentage, it's quite difficult to get an accurate measurement of it, what I do is use several different methods and look at the bigger picture. If you get a lot of different methods giving you a similar number, then you know it's close to the truth (if not totally spot on), but if you get wildly different numbers from different methods, you know you can't really rely on any of them. If you have a lot of fat to lose, it's actually better just to focus on how many inches your waist is and try to get it below 32 inches (for a female), or some studies suggest less than half your height is better (although that assumes frame size correlates with height when in fact it doesn't necessarily). Once your waist measurement is around those kinds of numbers, then circumference and calliper ways of measuring body fat tend to be more accurate (the formulas were developed on athletic people, and don't necessarily give accurate values for obese people) and you can use those to measure progress instead. Scales tend to be notoriously innaccurate. Also, focus on what you look like in the mirror and how your clothes fit, and how you feel generally. the exact number isn't what's important, you being healthy and happy with your body is what's important.
  • j99li
    j99li Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am absolutely overwhelmed with happiness to see these responses and I hope to see more.

Here are my goals in order to further what I want to do... I want to lose another 40lbs and I want to tone and sculpt at the same time. I want to do it in a slow and healthy way.

The trainer has a kinesiology degree and he said that the stronglifts program is for more intermediate lifters, not for me (I just started lifting in april). I am an accountant so I sit at a desk all day at work, he said that my back muscles are under developed so I should work on getting my back muscles stronger before I start squatting and rowing and stuff like that.

He said that in the first cycle where we focus on getting the "sleeping" muscles awake, I should expect to lose approx 1-2% body fat and gain 1-2% LBM. This will take approx 2 sessions a week for approx 2 months

In the second cycle, he focuses on getting me into high cardio to really shed body fat so that my muscles can work and show up lol. I should expect to lose approx 12-15% body fat at this time and gain some LBM. This will take approx 3 sessions a week for 2-3 months

Then we start weight training. This is when we will start lifting heavy and cutting back on cardio. He says I should expect to gain muscle and LBM. He knows that by the end, I want to be able to squat 200lbs so that's what we're working towards. This will take approx 6 weeks at 3 sessions a week.

I know my math isn't fully adding up to 72 sessions but the price given is for 72 sessions.

NOW, there are more sessions after this where he wants to do a bit more cardio sessions and then lift even heavier after that. The total would have been 96 sessions (approx a year) but that would cost approx $8,000! I had him reduce to the 72 sessions.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    sad that you would even consider this bs
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am absolutely overwhelmed with happiness to see these responses and I hope to see more.

Here are my goals in order to further what I want to do... I want to lose another 40lbs and I want to tone and sculpt at the same time. I want to do it in a slow and healthy way.

The trainer has a kinesiology degree and he said that the stronglifts program is for more intermediate lifters, not for me (I just started lifting in april). I am an accountant so I sit at a desk all day at work, he said that my back muscles are under developed so I should work on getting my back muscles stronger before I start squatting and rowing and stuff like that.

He said that in the first cycle where we focus on getting the "sleeping" muscles awake, I should expect to lose approx 1-2% body fat and gain 1-2% LBM. This will take approx 2 sessions a week for approx 2 months

In the second cycle, he focuses on getting me into high cardio to really shed body fat so that my muscles can work and show up lol. I should expect to lose approx 12-15% body fat at this time and gain some LBM. This will take approx 3 sessions a week for 2-3 months

Then we start weight training. This is when we will start lifting heavy and cutting back on cardio. He says I should expect to gain muscle and LBM. He knows that by the end, I want to be able to squat 200lbs so that's what we're working towards. This will take approx 6 weeks at 3 sessions a week.

I know my math isn't fully adding up to 72 sessions but the price given is for 72 sessions.

NOW, there are more sessions after this where he wants to do a bit more cardio sessions and then lift even heavier after that. The total would have been 96 sessions (approx a year) but that would cost approx $8,000! I had him reduce to the 72 sessions.

No, def not worth it. If he thinks stronglifts is an intermediate program, throw Starting strength Program at him, almost the same with a little less volume, and as the name suggests, is a starter program. You can even skip the trainer, and get this book, and look for form and tips advice from youtube and experienced lifters at your gym
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Way too much money!!!!! Yikes!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Honestly I still wouldn't do it. That is a big chunk of change to be shelling out for a trainer.

There is absolutely no reason why you can't do cardio AND lift. I am not quite sure what "sleeping" muscles are to be honest. When I started working out eons ago LOL I had no experience. The only reason I started to go to a gym was because there was a fitness center where I worked and it was FREE. I've never had a personal trainer -- although the people who worked at the fitness center would make programs for me every few months but they in no way 'personally' trained me. The point is that you can probably do a decent job without a trainer and get the results you want.

In my opinion it sounds like he's just looking for the money. I mean $8k for 96 sessions is ridiculous. I'm sure his cut is pretty good other wise he wouldn't be telling you you need that many sessions.

Do some internet searches. Buy some books -- a lot of people talk about New Rules of Lifting for Women -- and get started on your own.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I would be very sceptical of this plan. He says he wants to develop your "sleeping" muscles but is sending you on a high cardio plan which he tells you will allow you to gain LBM. This sounds like BS - it is very unlikely that you will gain LBM without eating above TDEE (which he is unlikely to have you doing given he has suggested you will be losing 12 -15% BF) and lifting heavy.

And then he says you will be able to squat 200lbs within 6 weeks of starting lifting heavy?! This sounds pretty unrealistic, especially if your back muscles are as underdeveloped as your trainer claims. Most people can increase their squat weight by 5lbs per week, 10lbs if they're lucky.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Did they actually see you do the lifts? Unless your form is all wrong, there's no way a full body program uses the 'wrong muscles'. I'd be sceptical on the whole sales pitch.
    Also, IMO you don't need a trainer for each and every session, get a plan, set up with proper form, then just check in periodically to look at progress and polish form.
  • j99li
    Options
    He did do an assessment test with me, some reverse rows, plank, squats, and bench press. he said I had good form with my squat but i dont have enough back muscle strength to do the reverse rows fully
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

He is trying to sell you absolute BS. Your muscles aren't "sleeping" unless you have a neurological condition that prevents you from actually using those muscles...like paralysis. And there is absolutely no way that a full body program is working the "wrong" muscles. I am an audiologist, so most of the time my job is alot of sitting. And otherwise I was extremely sedentary and I was EXTREMELY unfit. And you know what built up strength in my back? Squats, deadlits, and bent over rows. Plus the extreme expense is ridiculous. I would very politely tell him no thanks.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the rest of the posts, so I apologize if this has already been said.

That trainer is either a f'ing moron or a cheat. Maybe both.

There is no reason you can't start StrongLifts now, barring medical reasons. The only problem you may have is that you may need to start out - especially with overhead press - with something lighter than the 45 lb barbell. In that case, if your gym has lighter barbells (mine has preloaded 25 and 35 lb barbells, or empty barbells that are 15 lbs each) you could use them. Otherwise, starting with dumbbells would be fine, if necessary.

Seriously - stay away from that trainer.
  • j99li
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone...I actually can't believe I almost got sucked into it haha. Thank goodness I came here and asked for all you good people's advice! You guys saved me money!

The kicker on top is that since I cant pay the full fee upfront, they would set me up on a payment plan and I would have to pay interest........
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Don't let the trainer define your goals. First, electric inductance as a body fat indicator is notoriously fickle. It can be affected by a whole host of things. My scale at home does the same thing, and overestimates body fat by up to 5%. Second, there is no such thing as too heavy to learn to lift. I would start by lifting only the bar to make sure you have the forms down pat. Maybe find an experienced buddy who can watch you once or twice and critique your form to make sure you lift correctly. I don't know what he means by "not working the right muscles". A good lifting program like stronglifts engages the major muscle groups, so which muscles exaclty are the "wrong" muscles? It sounds like someone trying to railroad you into cardio sessions, and then into lifting sessions, effectively doubling his income. If you're looking to build strength, cardio is not your friend. Heavy lifting is what you need. Your instincts about this offer are correct. Either find a better trainer or do it on your own.

What this guy ^ said. The trainers at my gym tried the same bs on me. To be honest most of them at my gym know very little about heavy lifting. They looked at me like I was crazy for wanting to lift weights. They then proceeded to tell me that they would work up a routine for me to follow that would be tailored to my needs. Problem is, I see them do the same workout with EVERYONE they train, regardless of age, ability, weight, whatever. Plus, the sessions are extremely expensive and the interest level they have while training people is nil. Often they aren't even paying attention to their clients while training them. It infuriates me.

Seriously, it is never to early to start strength training. As this gentleman said start with just the barbell at first. Stronglifts has you start that way anyway. Then add weight to the bar slowly and only by five lbs if you need to, and only when you feel you're ready for more weight. Strength training will give you what you're looking for! Good luck!!!
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Think I'm in the wrong business!

Drop finance and become a personal trainer haha
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone...I actually can't believe I almost got sucked into it haha. Thank goodness I came here and asked for all you good people's advice! You guys saved me money!

The kicker on top is that since I cant pay the full fee upfront, they would set me up on a payment plan and I would have to pay interest........

Are their any other trainers or gyms you can go to?
    I see a trainer and love it. I lost over 15 inches in 2 months. So they're great, as long as theyre not taking advantage of you and thats kind of what this sounds like
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If you can motivate yourself with your mind....with enough information....you can do it yourself.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    From my reading, the only accurate and repeatable BF measurement is an immersion test. Scales are inaccurate, as are caliper measurements (and caliper tests vary depending on who's doing the "pinching"). My electronic scale can give different weights if I try weighing myself several times in a row.

DEXA scan is as accurate as immersion and much cheaper, though still an expensive medical test. In my opinion (as an older woman) if preferable because it also measures bone density.

Scales are iffy, some of the more expensive newer models are pretty accurate if used correctly. Older or cheaper models are less likely to give an accurate reading. My scale was < 1% different from my DEXA and will not give different readings if I measure several times in a row or days in a row. It's fairly new and was not cheap, though.

Calipers can also be wildly inaccurate in untrained hands.

Dexa is new to me ... Don't think I care much for the radiation, personally. I didn't know there'd been that much improvement in scales ... Mine's a cheap one from Bed Bath & Beyond. Do you know whether the Fitbit Aria is fairly accurate? I've been thinking of getting one.