Redefining Normal: A habit-based approach to weight management

Options
I thought this blog post was worthwhile and worth re-posting for those who missed it the first time.

I hope the conversation will continue in this new thread. I enjoyed reading everyone's responses!

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    My response to the original thread... obviously I liked the topic enough to recreate it:

I approve. I've spent more than a little bit of time thinking about what we knew about health and weight before nutrition "science" turned the world upside down and it pretty much all came down to good food habits - and knowing what and what not to eat.

For the curious this is what we used to know (by "we" I simply mean my family, in my part of the country, 40 years ago):

Whole foods are healthful.
    Ultra processed foods are likely more harmful than not in appreciable amounts. (This is new, at the time we embraced convenience foods.)
    Meat/animal products and vegetables are the nutritious parts of the meal.
    Bread, grains and starches are filler foods - if calories need to be reduced this is where you cut down.
    Sugar should be limited - if calories need to be reduced this is what you cut out.
    Don't snack.
    Be active.
    Go outside. Fresh air and sunshine are necessary for good health.
    Go to bed.

Everyone can benefit from developing patterns of living they can rely on to maintain their health and weight without consciously thinking about it or counting calories, IMO. Thank you for sharing yours. We've lost this kind of thinking and it's desperately needed, IMO.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I thought this blog post was worthwhile and worth re-posting for those who missed it the first time.

I hope the conversation will continue in this new thread. I enjoyed reading everyone's responses!

Thanks for reposting. It was removed due to self promotion violation and it was an oversight on my part. I don't financially benefit from this however the mods made the right call and I'd like to apologize for the rule violation.

Perfectly understandable and you're welcome. I hope the thread picks up the same momentum as the previous - like I said I was enjoying reading everyone's stories.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Something I'd like to add:

Sometimes logging food becomes the thing that allows you to not have to necessarily focus on food habits since the numbers become the primary thing that many people focus on with respect to weight management.

If that works for you that's great, however I also believe that you can (and probably should) focus on dietary habits during the logging process because this may set you up to transition out of logging at some point, and it may also make the dieting process easier to adhere to because the food habits you've focused on make adherence to the numbers much more tolerable and easy to execute.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am in a habit of logging and weighing and would love to get to a point where I don't have to.

I need to adjust my habit...where I am actually paying attention to what I am weighing so I can move forward and not feel like "I have to weigh and log to maintain".

but to be honest it's a scary thought...and it's the first time I have admitted it out loud...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight and then MAINTAIN that weight loss then you’re going to need to a new normal.

You aren’t trying a “new diet”.
    You aren’t on a “weight loss program”.

You are redefining and redeveloping what will be “normal” for you.

Losing weight and maintaining weight loss is not an obstacle with a one-time solution. You’re going to need a set of habits that you do for the rest of your life. It’s not going to happen all at once, but it NEEDS to happen if you don’t want yet another yo-yo dieting experience where you “go on a diet” and then “go off the diet” while not retaining any of the things you may have changed along the way. This may sound daunting, but creating a new normal is not like suddenly trying to compete in a triathlon after being sedentary for years. It’s a developmental process of trial and error where you refine things as you go.

This is basically how me and my wife have gone about it...we are a lot like the Davis family now. I also agree that it's very important if you have children.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I am in a habit of logging and weighing and would love to get to a point where I don't have to.

I need to adjust my habit...where I am actually paying attention to what I am weighing so I can move forward and not feel like "I have to weigh and log to maintain".

but to be honest it's a scary thought...and it's the first time I have admitted it out loud...

One approach you can consider would be to gradually remove those habits in somewhat of a piecewise manner so that you still have some logging incorporated.

One method for this would be to start by removing the food scale but continue to log how you normally do. Do this for a couple of weeks and still weigh yourself to establish whether or not your weight has changed or is changing as a result.

You can then gradually remove logging once you're comfortable without the food scale. I've used a variety of methods for this but one that I currently like to use IF the individual is focusing on food habits during this process, is to start writing down your foods and logging at the end of the day rather than beforehand.

The main difference here is that if you go this route, you are basically letting your food habits determine the choices you make and at the end of the day you are logging it all to see where that collection of habits has put your calorie and macronutrient intake at. From there you adjust the habits as needed.

When you log and then eat, you are letting the numbers dictate the food choice and so it's the other way around. I think this is sub-optimal if the goal is to develop food habits that put your energy intake at a reasonable place for your goals. (Key point being the goal of not logging -- if you enjoy logging and it works for you then absolutely logging before-hand is a better way for accuracy purposes).

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I liked that blog.
    I love pre-logging and the numbers. I love how it has made me look at food and nutrition. I am PLEASED with this obsession, er, habit.

But Im currently in the evaluate and revise stage of all other areas.
    Individually, overall, we arent too overweight but we need to make better choices and implement them, not just day dream about them.

The hubs is all about the gym, and his gainz, not much focus on the food or the work to be done in the kitchen.
    Whereas I am the food planning person, the MFP'er and not so focused on the gainz.
    (Where is the time and energy and blah, blah, blah)

We both need to apply a little bit of our madness into the area in which we are lacking.
    If he was as gung-ho about meals and CI/CO as he is about the iron--holy buckets-- there would be much more success.
    And even being the CEO,CFO and personal chef for our family of 5- I need to shift some of my focus to my physical contributions to this whole process. *flexes her semi hard/semi jiggly bicep*

Together our habit-breaking will be helping our kids enjoy the taste of more home-cooked meals. Reaching for apples and PB over goldfish or animal crackers and enjoying baked chicken over nuggets and mac n cheese,etc. (That stuff is ok but not on the level they currently request these foods)
    With kids and their taste for things it can be a challenge. Neither of our kids are overweight by any means (they are 9 and 7 and 18mo) but they rely on us to get them on the right foot.

I guess this all could be summarized with : Balance.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Thanks for reposting. It was removed due to self promotion violation and it was an oversight on my part. I don't financially benefit from this however the mods made the right call and I'd like to apologize for the rule violation.

And thank you for sending me the link.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Truer words could not be spoken when it comes to my weight loss journey. Hopefully this is an Ah-ha moment for someone like it was for me.

From the blog linked above...

• Annie_01
    Options

One approach you can consider would be to gradually remove those habits in somewhat of a piecewise manner so that you still have some logging incorporated.

One method for this would be to start by removing the food scale but continue to log how you normally do. Do this for a couple of weeks and still weigh yourself to establish whether or not your weight has changed or is changing as a result.

You can then gradually remove logging once you're comfortable without the food scale. I've used a variety of methods for this but one that I currently like to use IF the individual is focusing on food habits during this process, is to start writing down your foods and logging at the end of the day rather than beforehand.

The main difference here is that if you go this route, you are basically letting your food habits determine the choices you make and at the end of the day you are logging it all to see where that collection of habits has put your calorie and macronutrient intake at. From there you adjust the habits as needed.

When you log and then eat, you are letting the numbers dictate the food choice and so it's the other way around. I think this is sub-optimal if the goal is to develop food habits that put your energy intake at a reasonable place for your goals. (Key point being the goal of not logging -- if you enjoy logging and it works for you then absolutely logging before-hand is a better way for accuracy purposes).

I have been playing around in my head (which can be dangerous) with a method that might allow me not to have to log.

I base my calorie goal on what my TDEE will be when I reach goal weight which is 1600-1800 depending on activity level. I did this so that I could get used to eating a certain amount of food. I spread that out in the following way:

Breakfast - 300 to 400
    Lunch - 500 to 600
    Dinner - 600 to 800

Any leftover calories goes to snacks in the afternoon or night.

I am working on my recipes that fall in to those calorie ranges. I usually batch cook and then divide in to servings for at least two meals or more. This way I can just grab something and not have to worry about looking to see if I have stayed within my range.

I rarely eat out so in my head this should work for me. If I do choose to eat out then I know that I need to pick some of the lower calorie options for my other meal.

For this last 40lb that I want to lose I really want the focus to be on the "normal" of me being more active instead of how many calories I have left.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I have played with the idea of getting rid of the scale...but that requires me to create a new habit of "paying attention" to the portion size...lol...lazy I am.

and post logging (we can call it that) yes I could do that...

I will throw those two ideas around in the next couple weeks to see what I decide.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Ann - I'm considering something similar however I'm thinking of taking my TDEE and lowering it by 100 or so calories to cover any eyeballing mistakes I make and perhaps giving me a small deficit for days I plan to go over a bit.

But what I'm thinking right now may change next year when I reach goal:).
  • Annie_01
    Options
    Truer words could not be spoken when it comes to my weight loss journey. Hopefully this is an Ah-ha moment for someone like it was for me.

From the blog linked above...

I agree...

I was very close to goal weight about a year ago. Then I fell and shattered bones in my wrist...had surgery...diet and exercise fell apart. I gained part of the weight back that I had lost simply because all of the things that I had been doing to lose the weight had not become "normal" for me.

One year later I am finally ready to lose the weight again and restart my workouts. This time I want it to be different...I want to work on it becoming the "norm". I just can't see me weighing and logging everything for the rest of my life.

SideSteel's article came along at the right time for me.
  • Annie_01
    Options

I think I understand where your coming from. There are times that I think that the only way that I can get the weight off and keep it off is by continually logging. Yet I know that I just can't do that. I don't even want to be able to do that. That's why I am trying to change how I look at this.

For this last weight loss phase I have changed my priorities. While intake is still key I have placed more emphasis on activity. My calorie level is low enough for now to create some deficit I am trying to let activity create the rest of it. I am thinking that by the time I get to my goals the input will equal the output with maybe some small adjustments.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options

Sometimes logging food becomes the thing that allows you to not have to necessarily focus on food habits since the numbers become the primary thing that many people focus on with respect to weight management.

If that works for you that's great, however I also believe that you can (and probably should) focus on dietary habits during the logging process because this may set you up to transition out of logging at some point, and it may also make the dieting process easier to adhere to because the food habits you've focused on make adherence to the numbers much more tolerable and easy to execute.

This is pretty much what I have taken from logging calories. I worked to develop strategies and figure out food combinations that would enable to me mindlessly stay within my limits. So for the periods of time I maintain, its been very easy. It's more more difficult for me during cuts when I need to be a bit more meticulous, especially being sub 20% body fat with a goal of a six pack.

Very good article.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

This is pretty much what I have taken from logging calories. I worked to develop strategies and figure out food combinations that would enable to me mindlessly stay within my limits. So for the periods of time I maintain, its been very easy. It's more more difficult for me during cuts when I need to be a bit more meticulous, especially being sub 20% body fat with a goal of a six pack.

Very good article.

Thanks

And I certainly agree in that the leaner you get, it's more and more likely that you'll need more accuracy with regards to tracking/weighing/etc.

I think a reasonable goal for most people anyway would be to eventually go into long term maintenance either without logging or with intermittent logging -- for example an effective strategy may be to log Fri/Sat/Sun and eat based on habits M-Th, or something like that.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Very nice article!

I think it is particularly interesting because it addresses family habits, not only individual habits. I think a lot of people miss that it can sometimes be difficult to address an individual out of context of a family.

I would love to hear what habits other families use to keep themselves healthy. To keep it in context my husband and I both have full time jobs and we have 2 little kids, 5 years old and 2 years old.

Things we do:
    1) cook almost all meals from whole ingredients, aside from Friday night take-out
    2) "dessert" is a plate of fruit after dinner
    3) TV/screen time is limited to 30 minutes (one show) per day
    4) Eat together almost every night (unless one of us works late)
    5) Pack lunches for work instead of eating out

One thing we haven't addressed much is activity level. Because the kids are small and we limit screen time, their activity level tends to be relatively high. But I feel like this may be more difficult as they get older and have the ability to entertain themselves without as much activity (reading, video games, homework, etc).
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I could print that article and put it on the fridge. Thank you for posting it.

I'm at an uncomfortable place with pretty much all of this right now. I could easily drop another 2 lbs, or start working on maintaining where I'm at and still be plenty comfortable, but right now logging what I eat is my checks and balances and to be honest, I'm a little worried I'll lose that as I gradually stop logging.

The way the author outlines it though makes it seem very doable. One habit at a time, one bit at a time. I think I can do that.