To Glove Or Not to Glove during lifts?

Options

Replies

• jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My new gym doesn't allow chalk, which is a bummer. So, I am probably going to use gloves if I need them. I currently don't use anything.
  • cahubbard6421
    cahubbard6421 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Only if they match your purse.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    My new gym doesn't allow chalk, which is a bummer. So, I am probably going to use gloves if I need them. I currently don't use anything.

Do you have access to liquid chalk?
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    no gloves... straps if anything
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    yep...chalk not available overhere.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    I know it's frowned on, but I use gloves sometimes. Sometimes the pain of my skin stretching against the knurling on the bar is the thing that limits an exercise (romanian deadlifts, looking at you). It's not grip strength, it's palm tenderness. My hands earn me a pretty good living, so I go against standard advice here.

THANK YOU. Literally I was reading this getting super down because all the nopes but my palm skin just shreds on the knurling and my fingers don't want to get scratched, that said I hate my gloves because they mess with my grip too, I'm getting some straps
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, many gyms that don't allow chalk don't allow the liquid variety, either.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

You can get liquid chalk from Amazon or any sports store like Dicks. I'm personally partial to Prince Grip. I've only ever used it for pole, not for lifting, but I'm sure it will help you grip the bar b/c it dries your hands out. You can also try something called Dry Hands or Tite Grip. Beware with Tite Grip, it is meant to be used on hands 30-45 minutes prior to training b/c it helps to stop your hands from sweating for a few hours, so it has to have time to get into your skin and do it's magic.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The rule of gloves in the gym is; "only if they match your handbag".

My gym isn't so judgemental. Wear them, don't wear, who cares?! "only if they match your handbag"? I assume the "gym" is trying to be sexist, insinuating only weak girls wear gloves - I have skin allergies and Raynaud's. I wear them. I'm a girl. Dare your "gym" to come and say I'm somehow weak and pathetic to my face because I wear gloves... >:):D
  • ColoradoChlo
    ColoradoChlo Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I don't wear them, but I never have. I know that my university gym actually doesn't allow chalk, so I've never tried that either. I have some mean calluses but that comes from being a farm girl as well as lifting. lol
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Cool-it's our weekly gloves or no gloves thread!

Actually, they do. ;)

I don't wear gloves for the compound lifts. I like wearing them for Chin Ups and some isolation lifts.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    BHFF wrote: »
    For me personally no gloves no way. If you're female ok I get it but a guy??? Come on now! Your calluses are a badge of honor and no gloves will increase your grip strength which is helpful for things like shrugs and db rows.

Girls are allowed to wear gloves because they're delicate little flowers?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go get some pink gloves for volume pulls to match my pink gym bag, locking barbell collars, MP3 player, and ear buds.

sku001647-2.jpg
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Unfortunately, many gyms that don't allow chalk don't allow the liquid variety, either.

What the gym doesn't know, doesn't hurt them... ;)
    (I drop deadlifts and use nose tork, liquid chalk, selfie in the locker rooms, etc. Surprised I'm not kicked out yet tbh.)
    Just don't be obnoxious about it, doubt most places would even notice someone using a little liquid chalk. It's not messy if you wait for it to dry properly.
  • jagodfrey08
    edited January 2017
    Options

What the gym doesn't know, doesn't hurt them... ;)
    (I drop deadlifts and use nose tork, liquid chalk, selfie in the locker rooms, etc. Surprised I'm not kicked out yet tbh.)
    Just don't be obnoxious about it, doubt most places would even notice someone using a little liquid chalk. It's not messy if you wait for it to dry properly.

Except my gym would be happy to revoke your membership for intentionally breaking the rules. And I get it, they have been in business 30 years and offer really great membership rates because they make sure to take care of their gym and equipment. It's the best gym in our area that has childcare and has a large selection of equipment at all times. So, I don't want to risk it. Lol We are saving up to convert our garage into a nice personal gym. Then, I can use as much chalk as I want...or need, really.
  • jagodfrey08
    Options
    I'm going to go get some pink gloves for volume pulls to match my pink gym bag, locking barbell collars, MP3 player, and ear buds.

sku001647-2.jpg

I got a pink pair from Dicks for the Spartan Race. Love those things!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    We call them b!tch mittens at my gym :D None for me. I love my bad@*kitten* looking callouses.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »

My gym isn't so judgemental. Wear them, don't wear, who cares?! "only if they match your handbag"? I assume the "gym" is trying to be sexist, insinuating only weak girls wear gloves - I have skin allergies and Raynaud's. I wear them. I'm a girl. Dare your "gym" to come and say I'm somehow weak and pathetic to my face because I wear gloves... >:):D

This.

Who gives a *kitten*?
  • Tattooedmom44
    Tattooedmom44 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer using gloves. I also have to use a weight strap on my left hand. I had a stroke three years ago and it affected my left side, so my left hand is quite weak still.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Ive worn gloves for years and like them a lot. Helps keep my grip solid.