Weight loss and peoples opinions

Options
Has this happened to anyone? You start a weight loss plan.. maybe start exercising. And people treat you bad because of what you are eating. For example, you maybe in great shape.. but the guy that is 5'7-450 lbs. and in wayyy worse shape then you is always commenting on what you eat and how you do things with weight loss. I feel this is actually a really normal thing. I dunno why people do this its terrible.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Why would you engage these type of people in any sort of discussion of what you're eating and what exercises you're doing? What I eat is none of anyone else's business and is not up for discussion.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    There have been alot of threads on this topic over the years--yes it's fairly frequent. People that are very overweight can consider themselves experts and will tell you you're doing it all wrong. Yes, it's very frustrating, but you have to just brush them off and do you. Your future success will show who's right.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Eating a salad = "good, they need to eat that"
    Eating fast food = "no wonder they're as large as they are"

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    Just keep at it OP and ignore what the nay-sayers say.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Brush it off. I lost weight and encountered the same thing. It could be their own discomfort showing, it could be jealousy...it honestly doesn't matter. You do what you need to for you. Heck, seeing you get into shape might be what pushes one of them over the edge and gets them started. Then they can make their own thread about it here in a couple of years :D
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I make a concerted effort to not speak to people about how i eat or exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    What are you eating that is getting comments? I don't think I've ever gotten comments on my food other than, "wow...that looks good", etc.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I have never had anyone in my entire life comment on what I do or do not eat. I most likely would tell the person that did to shut the F up and mind their own business, but that's just how I roll.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have never had this happen.

It has been my observation that the majority of people who get these comments are people who tend to talk more about their food/diet/exercise program to begin with. Then they get the comments and feel like they have to explain themselves, which only leads to the commenters thinking that there's a real conversation going on and continuing to comment. The majority of the time, if you eat what you eat and do what you do without telling everybody about it, you won't get comments.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Eat what you like as long as you are getting the results you want. The general population gets sucked into good and bad foods. Everyone's needs are different depending on their activity and desired end result. Not to sound cliché but you do you.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Eating a salad = "good, they need to eat that"
    Eating fast food = "no wonder they're as large as they are"

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    Just keep at it OP and ignore what the nay-sayers say.

Unfortunately, it's the other way around now that I'm at a lower weight.
    Eating a salad = "no wonder they're as thin as they are"
    Eating fast food = "good, they need to eat that" or just as bad, "they're lucky they can eat whatever they want and not gain weight"
    Yeah, no. It's called CICO.
  • katiehepp1
    katiehepp1 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I have been doing this about 5/6 months now and I know it's about calories ect so yes I eat within my budget and sometimes at work I fancy something more on the naughty side maybe a chocolate bar and a few people know I am losing weight will make comments like 'oh are you not doing it anymore' ect and irs so infuriating!!! You wouldn't ask someone else if they should be eating what they are eating. Another thing that annoys me is the lack of understanding in this diet that some one asked if i should be eating a roast chicken breast and quavers (best combination for 400 cals) and I went on with it is in my calorie goal and they said its not about calories at all...