Curious about very low calories

Options
I was just wondering if there are any people on MFP who do very low calories who have done it for a long time or successfully reached goals that way. My (totally unsubstanstiated) hypothesis is that people whose goal is to net less than 1200 either drop out or change their goal quickly. Sincere question, no judgement.

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It is against forum policy to discuss VLCD protocols.

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Before i understood proper calorie counting and whats healthy i ate around 1000 calories for a little over a month. (Male at the time i was around 185). Eventually i got on this site and learned i didnt need to go to such extremes.

It wasnt the low calories or how i look and felt that made me stop tho, it was more so i got tired of eating just chicken and veggies.

Just to clarify im not recommending doing what i did.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely no reason to eat fewer than 1200 calories a day!
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It is against forum policy to discuss VLCD protocols.

Oh sorry! I didn't know that. And to clarify - I am not asking the question because I am interested in doing it. My approach is actually to lose half pound a week for 2 years lol. I was just thinking about it and wondered.
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    First rule of VLCD on MFP is you don't talk about it. Those of use who i dunno maybe net under 1000 keep our mouths shut. :)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Have a look at RFL by Lyle McDonald for real information on controlled crash diets and VLCD.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    I was just wondering if there are any people on MFP who do very low calories who have done it for a long time or successfully reached goals that way. My (totally unsubstanstiated) hypothesis is that people whose goal is to net less than 1200 either drop out or change their goal quickly. Sincere question, no judgement.

I agree with your hypothesis. Sustainability is a huge problem.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Yes I've done it. Medically supervised before panties start bunching.

IMO the heavier you are and the more fat mass you have to pull calories from the easier a VLCD is. When you are leaner it is harder.

Some people prefer a short period of misery to a long period of moderate dieting, but once you get to maintenance you have to learn how to manage moderation anyway.
  • Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    First of all the "don't go less than 1200 calories" mantra is blanket advice and obviously cannot possibly apply to everyone.

The more body fat you have, the more energy you can derive from it (31 calories per day per pound of body fat*) so someone who is obese (say with 100lb of body fat) could derive 3100 calories of energy from their body fat alone. However, meeting nutritional requirements (protein, fat, micronutrients) is very difficult to do on less than 1000 calories per day.

That is why obese people are often put on low calorie diets.

VLCDs (500–800 calories) are usually only recommended when the person is in imminent danger of obesity-related illnesses. They need to be medically supervised, and artificially supplemented to meet nutritional requirements.

*Alpert SS. A limit on the energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia. J Theor Biol. 2005 Mar 7;233(1):1-13.

• Nova
    Nova Posts: 9,943 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for closing this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.

b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.

d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

With respect,
    Nova
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.