Snowshoeing!!!

Options
This is by far one of the best cardio workouts I get to do outside living somewhere that is snow covered and flat prairies!! If anyone has a chance to try this, or enjoys it also, share your experience!!!
gl4drpskcchf.jpg

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite winter activities along with cross country skiing. Sadly in South Western Ontario it is hit or miss that we get enough snow to do either one.
  • RWayne48
    RWayne48 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Snowshoeing is great! I envy your flat praries - I live in the middle of a mountain so no matter where I go I've got a hill work out :)
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    RWayne48 wrote: »
    Snowshoeing is great! I envy your flat praries - I live in the middle of a mountain so no matter where I go I've got a hill work out :)

I wish I had mountains! I can see my dog run away for two days before he disappears over the horizon
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    RWayne48 wrote: »

And that is a good thing! Love my hiking/snowshoeing in the mountains around my house. However, last week it was below zero so I resorted to the treadmill on my basement. Ugh! The most boring thing ever.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    And that is a good thing! Love my hiking/snowshoeing in the mountains around my house. However, last week it was below zero so I resorted to the treadmill on my basement. Ugh! The most boring thing ever.

It was -25C with the windchill today.. I probably should have stuck with the treadmill too!!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I envy you all! I went when we lived in Colorado and wish I'd done it more. Great workout and oh so nice to enjoy being outdoors in the winter!
  • Jpedno
    Jpedno Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I live in Colorado and love snowshoeing! Wish I did it more often!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

It was -25C with the windchill today.. I probably should have stuck with the treadmill too!!

That's how it's been here in Montana as well only much colder not counting the windchill. I don't mind going out, but I don't like hiking with my dog at those extremes. Today however, it rained. Go figure. It will settle the snow though so snowshoeing should be a little easier.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    We moved away a year ago and I can't tell you how much I miss it. So many great places to snowshoe!!!!
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I picked up snowshoeing this year! It's amazing how warm you get, can almost forget it's freezing out! Burning calories, seeing beautiful scenes, and not much harder than hiking.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I have gone snowshoeing 2 days in a row. ❤it!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I love to snowshoe, but haven't been in ages...which is sad considering I live in Colorado. Has anyone ever purchased the Costco snowshoes? I'd love to do this more regularly, but don't own any equipment
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I used to snowshoe a lot. Now I have skis.

Winter is beautiful. It's a gift to enjoy.
    jenxbowers wrote: »
    I picked up snowshoeing this year! It's amazing how warm you get, can almost forget it's freezing out! Burning calories, seeing beautiful scenes, and not much harder than hiking.

In some cases, it's way easier than hiking. Snow can flatten everything out, instead of having to fight your way through brush and slide alder, you can float on top of it.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    The only time I tried it I ended up with what seemed like 10 lbs of snow on the snowshoes. My legs were jelly for days!
  • rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I got snowshoes on Christmas Day, the last day there was enough snow on the ground to try it out! Looking forward to snowshoeing once there's another good snowfall. Not likely this week.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This is my first year living in a snowy climate. I would love to try snowshoeing, but don't know how to get started. I'm in high desert so our snow is the hit or miss melt by noon sort, but I'm about an hour from Tahoe. Does anyone know about snowshoeing there or would I just be wasting my time by not skiing? Still haven't tried skiing either.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I love to snowshoe, but haven't been in ages...which is sad considering I live in Colorado. Has anyone ever purchased the Costco snowshoes? I'd love to do this more regularly, but don't own any equipment

Bought the Costco ones. Have used them twice and they seem good enough for me. I'm sure pro's use more expensive gear, but these will work.

Going to go again Saturday. Hard to go during the week when I work during the daylight hours.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I love snowshoeing. Sadly I'm in Texas. But will return to Colorado next month. Yay for me!!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    This is my first year living in a snowy climate. I would love to try snowshoeing, but don't know how to get started. I'm in high desert so our snow is the hit or miss melt by noon sort, but I'm about an hour from Tahoe. Does anyone know about snowshoeing there or would I just be wasting my time by not skiing? Still haven't tried skiing either.

You have to figure out how to dress for the snow, what to bring with you and what to leave behind, how to navigate (it can be harder to follow a trail when everything is covered in snow), etc. Skiing is more fun, but you have to learn to do it. If you can walk, you can snowshoe. So, figure everything out on snowshoes, and then add skiing when you're ready.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    rks581 wrote: »
    I got snowshoes on Christmas Day, the last day there was enough snow on the ground to try it out! Looking forward to snowshoeing once there's another good snowfall. Not likely this week.

This has been exactly my experience. We had lots of snow before Christmas and I was excited. Since Christmas day it has been scarce.