Calories on menus everywhere

Options
In Ontario they made it mandatory for all restaurants with 20 locations+ to display calories. Im in heaven! Anywhere else doing this.

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Many restaurants in Los Angeles include calorie information on their menus or website but unfortunately, it's not mandatory.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    U.S.

Some states, localities, and large restaurant chains were already doing their own forms of menu labeling, but this information was not consistent across the areas where it was implemented.

Calorie information will now be required on menus and menu boards in chain restaurants (and other places selling restaurant-type food) and on certain vending machines. This new calorie labeling will be consistent nationwide and will provide easy-to-understand nutrition information in a direct and accessible manner.

You’ll see calorie labeling on restaurant menus and menu boards by May 5, 2017. In most cases, you’ll also see calorie labeling for packaged foods sold in vending machines by December 1, 2016. However, there are certain food products sold from glass-front vending machines that may not have calorie labeling until July 26, 2018.

Where You’ll Find It

At Restaurants:

Calorie labeling is required for restaurants and similar retail food establishments that are part of a chain of 20 or more locations.

For standard menu items, calories will be listed clearly and prominently on menus and menu boards, next to the name or price of the food or beverage. For self-service foods, such as served from buffets and salad bars, calories will be shown on signs that are near the foods. Calories are not required to be listed for condiments, daily specials, custom orders, or temporary/seasonal menu items.

On Vending Machines:

Calorie labeling is required for vending machine operators who own or operate 20 or more vending machines.

Calories will be shown on a sign (such as on a small placard, sticker, or poster) or on electronic or digital displays near the food item or selection button on vending machines and “bulk” vending machines (for example, gumball machines and mixed nut machines), unless calories are already visible on the actual food packages before purchase.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,161 Member
    Options
    The menus of chain restaurants here in Australia often have calories, either on the menu or found online. But the menus of individual restaurants, pubs, etc. won't likely have the calories.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    They do that where I live too. It's very helpful. Unfortunately I often prefer non-chain restaurants so they don't have to provide calorie info.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my fiance lives in ontario and called me when he was out eating dinner with his sons to tell me that, when he saw it!

he was like ' youd be in calorie counting heaven!' LOLOLOL
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Ironically, those are usually not the best places to eat.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

Why not? I eat out several times a week and I'm able to fit it into my calorie goals. Most restaurants offer a wide range of food/calorie choices.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Why not? I eat out several times a week and I'm able to fit it into my calorie goals. Most restaurants offer a wide range of food/calorie choices.

Given a choice between a burger joint with more than 20 locations, and the mom & pop burger joint, I prefer the smaller guys as I think the food is tastier. Probably more calories as well. I think that is all he meant.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Yup! We had a meatlover's pizza from one of 'those places' last night. It was heavenly and fit my calorie allotment and macros for the day beautifully. :)

I'm in Ontario, too, and I think it's a good step forward. As someone who counts calories, I was always able to find out the nutritional profiles of most chain food things online. But for someone who may not be aware, just having the info more in-your-face will hopefully help them realize the caloric cost that comes with a lot of the items on the menu. If you can make it fit, fine. But if not, there are always different choices you can make. :)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Fair question. We dine out infrequently, and when we do we make it a point to go to local places, not chains. For others who eat in restaurants more often, it is obviously useful.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Here is a site where you can send an email to your Provincial government reps requesting similar for your Province. Just sent one to the BC folks.

http://www.menutruth.ca/index.php
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Only one place I know of doing it in the uk
    Weatherspoons
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I don't know, I was in Ontario a few years ago and I thought the food was quite tasty.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,992 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Given a choice between a burger joint with more than 20 locations, and the mom & pop burger joint, I prefer the smaller guys as I think the food is tastier. Probably more calories as well. I think that is all he meant.

Ya, there's no comparison in taste for the burgers I get from local restaurants vs chains like McDonalds or BK. I haven't bought burgers from them in 10 years but had a bite of my OH's last year because I wanted to refresh my memory due to a thread here.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options

I am the opposite. I have had way too many experiences of inedible to food poisoning causing meals at small restaurants. Not saying I have never had issues at chains, but issues with the food are far rarer for me at them.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    That is cool, but I want my macros.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if individual business want to do it, then fine. However, they should not be forced by the state to do it...its not as if business is not regulated enough already...
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    In Ontario they made it mandatory for all restaurants with 20 locations+ to display calories. Im in heaven! Anywhere else doing this.

Not everywhere but there are places that do. I think it SHOULD be mandatory! Only prob is.. I dont really eat out cause my mind gets the better of me and I start to imagine the workers picking their noses or scratching their crotches.. or not washing after wiping... sweating over the stove.. body juices in my meal.. ughhhh
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Reaverie wrote: »

Not everywhere but there are places that do. I think it SHOULD be mandatory! Only prob is.. I dont really eat out cause my mind gets the better of me and I start to imagine the workers picking their noses or scratching their crotches.. or not washing after wiping... sweating over the stove.. body juices in my meal.. ughhhh

or just vote with your wallet and don't go to places that choose not to put them on the menu or publish them on their websites.

I never understood this mindset that the government should mandate everything that private business should do ...

People also need to take a little responsibility for their own choices. If you get Fettuccine Alfredo and linguine that that is going to be extremely calorie dense; however, if you get grilled chicken and roasted vegetables that will be less calorie dense; why is the restaurants fault that people don't care to make that connection?