Setting maintainable weight goal

Options
First off, my stats are: female, 5'8 (or 5'8.5), start weight 199, current weight 149.

I started tracking calories in June 2016, and my initial goal was to lose 50 pounds over a one-year period, but the weight actually came off much faster than expected. My weight loss rate has slowed down significantly, but I feel that I could keep going and fairly effortlessly lose another 10 or so pounds over the next few months.

My question is...should I lose more, or is my current weight more maintainable long-term? I have never lost and regained weight before (I gained my excess weight slowly over a long period, and this is the first "diet" I've ever done), so I have no idea what to expect as far as maintenance goes. For anyone who has lost and regained, or who has lost and kept it off long-term, do you think it's a better idea to stop at a healthy but higher weight rather than drop down to an "aesthetic ideal" that may be too difficult to maintain long-term?

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've lost weight one time and am now several years into maintaining the loss. For me-I chose an initial goal weight that was on the lower end of a healthy bmi, but when I got there I realized I wanted to keep going and got down to the low end of healthy bmi (around a 19). I realized though that I didn't like how I looked at the lower weight-face and collar bone area was very pronounced/bony. So after a couple months I did a purposeful gain and found my maintenance 'sweet spot' at a bmi of 20-21.

You just need to play around with it a bit and see what feels right to you-you can always adjust as you go along :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you get down to that weight relatively easy, it's probably going to be easy to maintain too. I would keep going until it gets difficult, then reassess if you like that weight and body composition.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I've done both. I got down to a good weight (131) and maintained it for several months. Then I got injured and really depressed and lost more weight really easily (123). When I started exercising and eating normally, the weight went back up, to the good weight (130-135). I have more or less maintained that weight for the past few years. I sometimes go off track on vacation and gain a few pounds, but lose it again as soon as I'm home and cooking normally. This time I got back to the goal and decided that since the weight loss was pretty easy, I'd continue for a while and see if I can maintain at 125-130. I have no desire to go any lower. I know I can eat comfortably at this weight, as long as I continue my exercise - which I have every intention of doing.