Cause I need to know badly

Options
How can you loose weight without losing too much facial volume? I'm emphasizing especially on the area under the eyes because last time I lost 20 lbs, I ended up with horrible dark circles under the eyes which made me eyes look hollow and scary. And of course, I started to get the sick look, very gaunt, looked like I aged a lot even though I'm just 18.
I'm planning on losing around 30 lbs, what's the correct way to do it this time?

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The first place I show weight loss or gain is in my face. I don't know that you can control it. As far as the dark circles & looking gaunt I don't know - curious to see if anyone has any answers for you! I'm a lot older than you are so I use eye cream every day and a pretty good moisturizer.
  • PepePants
    PepePants Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Women tend to get dark circles under their eyes as we age because the skin there (and everywhere) thins and the blood vessels are more visible, giving a dark look. At 18 that shouldn't be the explanation for you. My guess is that it's a matter of nutrition. Could you be anemic? How is your iron intake? You may consider a full physical exam...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Did you lose the weight in a healthy manner last time where you were getting sufficient vitamins and minerals and did not exhaust yourself with exercising too much and eating too little? It doesn't sound normal to me, unless you were putting too much stress on your body.
  • gillmitch
    gillmitch Posts: 64
    Options
    I don't think the way you lose it will have any effect on loosing it from your face or not I think just roll with the loss and buy some concealer for your eyes?
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Did you lose the weight in a healthy manner last time where you were getting sufficient vitamins and minerals and did not exhaust yourself with exercising too much and eating too little? It doesn't sound normal to me, unless you were putting too much stress on your body.

Agree.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    do it slowly.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Don't think you can control that.

Maybe go outdoors and get some sun?
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have lost significant weight twice, the first time my face changed dramatically, I looked much older, this time hardly any change. There was a big difference in how I lost though. The first time I didn't know how to properly lose weight. I cut out all fats and stayed under 1200 calories. This time I am including fats, avacados and nuts, red meats, cheese, peanut butter, eggs and netting at least 1200 calories and eating ALL exercise calories. More often than not, I am netting over 1200 calories. I feel water, healthy fats and sufficient calories is key. My face is more slender, as I lost a lot of weight, but not hollow looking. Also you may want to consider adding a probiotic to your diet, insufficient absorption of vitamins through the intestinal tract will also cause dark circles, if you have cut out fat completely like I did, that may be stopping the absorption of much needed vitamins as well.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. Dark circles under your eyes indicate dehydration - especially when combined with dark urine. Moisturizing may also help but from my experience the only time I see dark circles under my/my so's/child's eyes its because they aren't drinking enough water.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm going with nutrition, too. I have very deep set eyes (family trait) and tend to get dark circles. They're a LOT less noticeable now that I eat mostly healthy than when I didn't pay any attention to what I ate.
  • KayaVice
    KayaVice Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My nephew has a problem with dark circles under his eyes and the Dr. said that it was due to a lack of good sleep and high levels of heavy metals in his system. He has Asperger's so he has to be given meds to 'slow down' at night in order for him to sleep, as the poor child's brain is constantly going 24/7.

Don't know about the heavy metals thing, but lack of sleep could do it. You're only 18 so I don't think age progression is your problem, obviously.

I've seen several people that have lost significant weight and it aged them. Your fat keeps your skin taunt so when you lose that roundness, your skin 'deflates' and wrinkles start popping up. Haven't experienced that yet, but I don't care if weight loss ages me, as long as I'm healthy, my ego will have to deal with the aging look. :)

I'd def. consider checking with your Dr to make sure you're not harming yourself by lacking in nutrition, sleep, or engaging in too much exercise (and your body can't keep up).

Hope you get to the bottom of it.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue as you, during my initial fat loss I looked very sick. Pale, dark circles and just bad off. I took it was my nutrition was off, such as my iron. That would be my first guess for you. Your body is used to a level of vitamins. So maybe during this weight loss take some vitamin supplements such as iron and vitamin D, and such. Other than that, make healthy choices food wise to help your intake.

I am also 18 so I see this as the best way to go, based on personal experience. Once I started watching my vitamin intake above my macros I started to look more healthy in my face especially.
  • PoisonedCursed
    Options
    I have lost significant weight twice, the first time my face changed dramatically, I looked much older, this time hardly any change. There was a big difference in how I lost though. The first time I didn't know how to properly lose weight. I cut out all fats and stayed under 1200 calories. This time I am including fats, avacados and nuts, red meats, cheese, peanut butter, eggs and netting at least 1200 calories and eating ALL exercise calories. More often than not, I am netting over 1200 calories. I feel water, healthy fats and sufficient calories is key. My face is more slender, as I lost a lot of weight, but not hollow looking. Also you may want to consider adding a probiotic to your diet, insufficient absorption of vitamins through the intestinal tract will also cause dark circles, if you have cut out fat completely like I did, that may be stopping the absorption of much needed vitamins as well.
    Great advise! :flowerforyou:
  • PoisonedCursed
    Options
    I had the same issue as you, during my initial fat loss I looked very sick. Pale, dark circles and just bad off. I took it was my nutrition was off, such as my iron. That would be my first guess for you. Your body is used to a level of vitamins. So maybe during this weight loss take some vitamin supplements such as iron and vitamin D, and such. Other than that, make healthy choices food wise to help your intake.

I am also 18 so I see this as the best way to go, based on personal experience. Once I started watching my vitamin intake above my macros I started to look more healthy in my face especially.
    I take enough vitamin D but I think it might be iron deficiency, so you're right :drinker:
  • PoisonedCursed
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! :smile: :flowerforyou: