Feeling freezing cold

Options
2»

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    One reason I don't drink a lot of water is that I end up shivering all day. Not much of a problem in the summer, but it is a big problem for me now. I try to drink it room temp but, yuck.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    by any chance, have you gone several hours hungry, without eating?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,930 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I can't quite get my head around the math...a 1,000 calorie per day deficit doesn't sound like too much for a woman who weighs 327 pounds, but 1,800 calories for that woman who gets some moderate exercise does sound like too few calories. How tall are you?

My apologies. I had somehow missed the age and starting weight which both argue that 1000Cal is OK. However as @kshama2001 mentions with a good activity level throughout the day you should be hitting the 1000 Cal deficit while eating more.

Get up every hour and walk at least 300 steps as measured by a pedometer. Make it your goal that there will be no day where you haven't walked 3000 steps, then increase that to 5000 minimum for the day.

In between the total daily steps aim for the 300 per awake hour. That by itself will make a huge difference to your feeling cold.

If 300 an hour is impossible, 150 isn't. Even at work you can walk to a bathroom, grab a tissue, and come back. Then grab some water. In between that you will have managed a couple of minutes of walking which is what 150 steps needs. It will make a huge difference.

It took me 3 months to get to no day with less than 5000 steps when I first started. And I still, today, have hours with no steps and it does make a difference on the days that I do keep to an hourly get up and move schedule.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    One reason I don't drink a lot of water is that I end up shivering all day. Not much of a problem in the summer, but it is a big problem for me now. I try to drink it room temp but, yuck.

In the winter, I drink a lot of very lightly sweetened weak hot tea.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I can't quite get my head around the math...a 1,000 calorie per day deficit doesn't sound like too much for a woman who weighs 327 pounds, but 1,800 calories for that woman who gets some moderate exercise does sound like too few calories. How tall are you?

My apologies. I had somehow missed the age and starting weight which both argue that 1000Cal is OK. However as @kshama2001 mentions with a good activity level throughout the day you should be hitting the 1000 Cal deficit while eating more.

Get up every hour and walk at least 300 steps as measured by a pedometer. Make it your goal that there will be no day where you haven't walked 3000 steps, then increase that to 5000 minimum for the day.

In between the total daily steps aim for the 300 per awake hour. That by itself will make a huge difference to your feeling cold.

If 300 an hour is impossible, 150 isn't. Even at work you can walk to a bathroom, grab a tissue, and come back. Then grab some water. In between that you will have managed a couple of minutes of walking which is what 150 steps needs. It will make a huge difference.

It took me 3 months to get to no day with less than 5000 steps when I first started. And I still, today, have hours with no steps and it does make a difference on the days that I do keep to an hourly get up and move schedule.

I was going to post this exact advice.

I started feeling freezing cold when I was 210 pounds, long before the idea of losing weight occurred to me. Menopause was over and when the hot flashes left, the cold set in.

I've lost 94 pounds and I am colder than ever. Before I got a Fitbit with move reminders, I set a kitchen timer to remind me to get up every hour and walk around, but it helps so very much. Now that it's winter, any time I start feeling too chilled, I get up and hop on my treadmill. Before I had the treadmill, I paced our long hallway.

Walking around a lot and LOADS of herbal tea. Celestial Seasonings makes a really nice cinnamon apple flavor that I enjoy.
  • IWantToFloat
    IWantToFloat Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I'm 5'4
  • IWantToFloat
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I know what's wrong and I just need to get up and move. I don't feel cold all the time, at one job where I'm constantly moving I'm only chilled, at home where I work on art for hours on end while drinking cold water I'm freezing.
    Hypothyroidism doesn't help either, even while on medication.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I know what's wrong and I just need to get up and move. I don't feel cold all the time, at one job where I'm constantly moving I'm only chilled, at home where I work on art for hours on end while drinking cold water I'm freezing.

No, it doesn't. I have hypothyroidism, and was overcorrected for a while (we were working on finding the right dosage) and I was still cold all the time!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Cold water in the winter, blech! ;)

I hate consuming cold when it's cold - I have to turn up the heat if I'm going to have a side salad...from 66 degrees to 68, lol. I wear a few layers including a turtleneck, and superwarm slippers plus wool socks and cotton socks.

These Sorel Manawans are amazing:

651094-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    What does female bodied mean?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

has two X chromosomes.
  • rnelson88
    rnelson88 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Your potassium levels may be too low depending on how much water you're drinking.
  • trigden1991
    Options

has two X chromosomes.

Strange way to word it but thanks for clarifying. I didn't know if it was something transgender/gender fluid/non-binary related.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I can confirm that activity helps, I was like this before Christmas and nothing really helped apart from getting up and moving. No amount of jumpers or blankets helped until I'd warmed myself up with exercise.

I'm nice and toasty now, probably due to having stuffed my face for two weeks and still being in maintenance - I'm sure the chill will return once I talk myself back into a deficit.
  • IWantToFloat
    Options

has two X chromosomes.

Strange way to word it but thanks for clarifying. I didn't know if it was something transgender/gender fluid/non-binary related.

It is related. I don't feel very female but that is ultimately what my body is.

I've noticed that the more active I am the less cold I feel but as soon as I stop moving I'm freezing again shortly after. At this point I'm going to bring it up with my doctor and see what he thinks.
  • trigden1991
    Options

has two X chromosomes.

It is related. I don't feel very female but that is ultimately what my body is.

I've noticed that the more active I am the less cold I feel but as soon as I stop moving I'm freezing again shortly after. At this point I'm going to bring it up with my doctor and see what he thinks.

Thanks for clarifying. I would discuss it with your doctor and get a blood test done. Good luck.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When I eat in a deficit, I am cold more often. When I eat at maintenance, I am hot most the time. I don't think that feeling cold necessarily is a sign of a problem.