Avoiding Others While Working Out

Options
2»

Replies

• malk2651
    malk2651 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If I'm walking the dog I like having someone to chat with. If I'm in the weight room the world can buzz off.
  • Katerina67
    Katerina67 Posts: 21
    Options
    I am totally with you. I like to do things in my own pace and this is the reason I avoid group classes at gym. I like to go to gym with my husband though (don't remeber when we did it last time) . As for walking/jogging/running I definetely like to do it alone.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I like to work out alone too. Let's me focus and relax. (If those two things can be done at the same time.) You've gotten some good advice here. You're not off base.

That being said. If you don't enjoy your workout, maybe it's time to look around for something new? It's a whole lot easier to stick to it when it is something you look forward to rather than something you dread. :flowerforyou:

I don't dread it, I consider it a part of life...I don't really like to floss or do laundry either, but I do those too. I have done all sorts of activities. This walking/running routine just happens to be what I'm doing at the moment. I'm trying to build up to being able to jog for 30 minutes...we'll see how that goes. I wish I could find an activity that I just fall in love with and lose track of time while doing it, but there is nothing in the world that I have found that works for me (even activities outside of working out). Thanks for the advice though, you are right - it is a whole lot easier to stick with something you enjoy.
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    Perhaps he's just lonely? Everyone wants to do their own thing, (including me) that is completely understandable. If it were me I might make time for my family by perhaps offering to meet once or twice a week for a "social" walk and making up for exercise at another time.

He may be lonely (some of that is his problem, as he won't do anything but complain about being retired and having nothing to do). I did find out he HAS a walking buddy from his neighborhood. I don't know where the guy was that morning, but he normally walks with him.
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    He was either implying he wanted to walk with you OR he was making a point of telling you that so you change your time because he's like you and doesn't want to be bothered when he's there LOL.

Yeah - that last part...that's what I'm hoping for....LOL

After I told him, in that same phone call, that I typically walk/run later. He was like "you need to run earlier, when it's cooler." I was like "dang, when did you have time to get your physiology degree." See around here, it is cooler, but I swear it is sooo much more humid - and I can't stand that...air so thick you can't breathe.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I like exercising alone also. It's my only me time!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    The only person I like working out with is my husband. He's super supportive and a good spotter if I lift heavier weights. If he's not there, I prefer to exercise by myself. I've worked out with friends, but I discovered I don't enjoy it. I much prefer hanging out with them outside of the gym. When it comes to working out, I'm more of a solo exerciser. I'm not into group classes. I like to work out alone. I find it more relaxing and I can get into my exercise zone.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I walk and ride in our neighborhood...we all kinda know one another. When I get stopped, I simply and kindly let them know I will speak with them later. Never a problem and often I will go back for a chat.

I do go to a gym occasionally and pretty much stick to myself. However, when my wife and I workout together, it rocks as she is so supportive and we push one another in a healthy manner. Working out wherever is my time for me as well as an introvert, so I use that time to defrag and de-stress.

However, I really have never found a reason to be rude to anyone.

@Booksandbeaches...yes, indeed.
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    I walk and ride in our neighborhood...we all kinda know one another. When I get stopped, I simply and kindly let them know I will speak with them later. Never a problem and often I will go back for a chat.

I do go to a gym occasionally and pretty much stick to myself. However, when my wife and I workout together, it rocks as she is so supportive and we push one another in a healthy manner. Working out wherever is my time for me as well as an introvert, so I use that time to defrag and de-stress.

However, I really have never found a reason to be rude to anyone.

@Booksandbeaches...yes, indeed.

Kudos to you and your wife working out together - that's awesome!! I did stop and speak to him - I didn't think I was being rude. I just was kinda surprised at the phone call later on about telling me he was at the park everyday at such and such a time...
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    The only person I like working out with is my husband. He's super supportive and a good spotter if I lift heavier weights. If he's not there, I prefer to exercise by myself. I've worked out with friends, but I discovered I don't enjoy it. I much prefer hanging out with them outside of the gym. When it comes to working out, I'm more of a solo exerciser. I'm not into group classes. I like to work out alone. I find it more relaxing and I can get into my exercise zone.

Just wanted to say I think it's awesome your husband spots for you!!! It's awesome you guys can work out together!
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I also like to workout alone. I have had several ladies at my gym want to work out with me but, i never take them up on it. My husband spots me now and then when i ask ) but, i like to go at my own pace, do my own routine, listen to my music and get the job done! If you want to spend time with me lets get coffee later but , working out is MY time. I focus on me . Its not bad that you want to exercise alone. heck i get bothered when someone interrupts me to chit chat .
  • Tysonlovesweights
    Tysonlovesweights Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    when i go into the gym, its headphones in and hat pulled down. the only words i commonly exchange are something along the lines of are you done with that rack , excuse me, or go ahead and get your drink first i have a bottle to fill. I am not at the gym to chit chat, and i only have so much time to get in lift and get out, no time to stand around chatting and wasting away the time i could be lifting, plus, the more people talk in the gym, the more they try to spread the word of broscience!!