Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Complete bed rest and calorie allotment

So I have just been put on complete bedrest at home for the remainder of my pregnancy. Up until now, I had been doing really well with not gaining huge amount of weight (have only gained 10 lbs). First trimester I just ate at TDEE, second and the beginning of the third, I started eating TDEE plus 300 calories. Now that I am ok completely bedrest, I know that my TDEE is significantly lower, but not sure how much lower.

I was thinking that since it is completely bedrest, I should just eat 500 calories over my BMR, since BMR is how many calories you would burn if bedridden.

Is this a good idea? If not, anyone have any other suggestions?

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    It sounds about right to me. When I'm on complete bedrest, I still move around more than I would if I were in a coma, but not enough to matter very much! BMR + 500 calories would probably end up being a small surplus (which is what I think you're aiming for?).
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    It sounds about right to me. When I'm on complete bedrest, I still move around more than I would if I were in a coma, but not enough to matter very much! BMR + 500 calories would probably end up being a small surplus (which is what I think you're aiming for?).

Yes. I am aiming for a surplus around 300 calories.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    I agree, your so close now, I'd check with the doctor before taking away any calories. Baby is probably using more now too.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    HA, at this point, I'd eat everything in sight!!! J/K, I know you have a serious question. Definitely make sure that you are eating over enough to nourish a full-term baby. If you are on bed rest due to dietary/BP issues, make sure you eat in a way that does not aggravate that condition.
  • elphie754
    You are growing a human and should just be concerned with nourishing the baby and yourself. If you are on bed rest, you obviously have a health issue. Just take care of yourself the next few weeks and don't worry about calories. The weight will come off. You should gain 25-35lbs during pregnancy, so you have plenty of room to go. You should also talk to your doctor about your concerns.

Not worrying about calories is how I gain weight rapidly, which is exactly what I don't (nor does my doctor) want. Being in the obese category already, the max I am supposed to gain is 20lbs not 25-35.
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    I agree, your so close now, I'd check with the doctor before taking away any calories. Baby is probably using more now too.

Technically I am not taking away calories, I am aiming to stay in the same surplus that I had while active.
  • heartrocklover
    heartrocklover Posts: 12 Member
    I agree, I would contact your physician and speak with them or a nurse practitioner that works with them. Looks like it's time to learn how to knit, get a Netflix account if you don't have one etc.. to keep busy. Concentrate on resting as that is what is most important, isn't it in the long run. You will be blessed with a healthy baby!
  • elphie754
    My OB told me that she wasn't exactly too sure and would send in the hospital dietician to talk to me. There is no nice way to say this, but the dietician was a moron. I have food allergies and she kept suggesting food for meals that I'm allergic to. After somenof the idiotic things she said, I have no confidence in her advice.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    My OB told me that she wasn't exactly too sure and would send in the hospital dietician to talk to me. There is no nice way to say this, but the dietician was a moron. I have food allergies and she kept suggesting food for meals that I'm allergic to. After somenof the idiotic things she said, I have no confidence in her advice.

A typical case of 'the idiot wasn't listening'. It makes you doubt the quality of some people's education... or rather, how they managed to get an education with how much lack of comprehension they show... Reminds me of how a coworker (in a bad Crohn's flare) was advised to eat... pretty much all foods that would make the flare even worse.

As far as plans go your BMR+500 sounds sensible. You can always adjust as you go depending on scale weight/body feeling.

The idea of developing some hobbies is probably wise or you'll go stir-crazy - which you probably will anyways but having something to do is probably going to keep you somewhat sane.

*hugs*

Hang in there! You're so close now!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Your TDEE will be higher than BMR because although you are sedentary, you are not in a coma. I would set your activity to the lowest setting and monitor your weight for a few weeks.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

A typical case of 'the idiot wasn't listening'. It makes you doubt the quality of some people's education... or rather, how they managed to get an education with how much lack of comprehension they show... Reminds me of how a coworker (in a bad Crohn's flare) was advised to eat... pretty much all foods that would make the flare even worse.

As far as plans go your BMR+500 sounds sensible. You can always adjust as you go depending on scale weight/body feeling.

The idea of developing some hobbies is probably wise or you'll go stir-crazy - which you probably will anyways but having something to do is probably going to keep you somewhat sane.

*hugs*

I wish I could say this was my first bad interaction with a hospital dietitian but it's not. Several years ago, I had a mild allergic reaction but they admitted me because of my history of ending up in the ICU intubated from allergies. This was when I first knew what my allergies were and was still getting used to reading every labelmfor what was safe/not safe. After I spoke the dietician and told her I am allergic to wheat, barley, oat she sent "gluten free" ginger snaps to my room. I trusted her since she must know what she is talking about if she's dietician. I ate them, and less than an hour later I was intubated in the ICU. The third ingredient was gf oat. Dummybthought just the gluten was the issue even though I specified it's the oat itself I'm allergic to. Since then, I have never trusted someone else to know if something is safe or not.

Considering your extreme reactions, a mild case of paranoia is probably rather on the safe side. You're the best judge of what's safe and the one who has to deal with the consequences. If it upsets some people (who think they know more), well though luck for them...
  • elphie754
    Your TDEE will be higher than BMR because although you are sedentary, you are not in a coma. I would set your activity to the lowest setting and monitor your weight for a few weeks.

Which is why I'm doing 500 over BMR and not 300 over, to account for that. I think sedentary plus 300 would be too much.
  • elphie754

*hugs*

I wish I could say this was my first bad interaction with a hospital dietitian but it's not. Several years ago, I had a mild allergic reaction but they admitted me because of my history of ending up in the ICU intubated from allergies. This was when I first knew what my allergies were and was still getting used to reading every labelmfor what was safe/not safe. After I spoke the dietician and told her I am allergic to wheat, barley, oat she sent "gluten free" ginger snaps to my room. I trusted her since she must know what she is talking about if she's dietician. I ate them, and less than an hour later I was intubated in the ICU. The third ingredient was gf oat. Dummybthought just the gluten was the issue even though I specified it's the oat itself I'm allergic to. Since then, I have never trusted someone else to know if something is safe or not.

Considering your extreme reactions, a mild case of paranoia is probably rather on the safe side. You're the best judge of what's safe and the one who has to deal with the consequences. If it upsets some people (who think they know more), well though luck for them...

Exactly
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    One of the hospital midwives came by this morning. She seemed fairly knowledgeable about nutrition (especially since she is also a lactation expert). She said BMR plus the 500 sounds like a good place to start and can be increased if needed based on how baby is growing etc.

She completely understood why I won't eat any hospital food and have my SOs bringing me my own food. She also said she will look into if the kitchen staff can order individually wrapped Udis products for me. She was incredibly nice and helpfu.

I'm glad you got some reassuring input on your plan here, Elphie. Sounds like they sent you a good one. Best wishes to you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    When are you due?

b92.gif
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited January 2017
    One of the hospital midwives came by this morning. She seemed fairly knowledgeable about nutrition (especially since she is also a lactation expert). She said BMR plus the 500 sounds like a good place to start and can be increased if needed based on how baby is growing etc.

She completely understood why I won't eat any hospital food and have my SOs bringing me my own food. She also said she will look into if the kitchen staff can order individually wrapped Udis products for me. She was incredibly nice and helpfu.
    Glad to hear!

Hope you can head home soon.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Elphie, I didn't realize that 'complete bed rest' also meant that you are now hospitalized. :(

Hang in there! <3