How many calories should I eat?

Options
I am female,23 years old, 5' 4'' and weigh 230lbs, as of today.
I have lost and gained weight 3 or 4 times before (highest I lost was 53lbs). I am concerned that will have an impact on how many calories I need to maintain my weight and I am having trouble believing online calculators like Scooby's workshop and iifym,etc.
I feel that 1200 calories is too low for me,as I feel hungry with that. I have settled for 1500 calories for now. I would like to lose 1-1.5lbs per week.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Fact: You can lose weight eating less than your TDEE. Use Scooby's calculator to find your TDEE, then eat 500 calories per day less than that.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are completely sedentary I would stick with 1500-1600 calories for now. If you are moderately active, I'd up it by 150 per day for now. Then adjust as time goes on.
  • mou_254
    mou_254 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you are completely sedentary I would stick with 1500-1600 calories for now. If you are moderately active, I'd up it by 150 per day for now. Then adjust as time goes on.

Right now, I am sedentary, although I plan on getting active soon. I figured I will stick to 1500 for now. Thanks for the advice!
  • mou_254
    mou_254 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Any more suggestions?
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Get started with 1500-1600, and after a month or so see what your results are.
    If you are losing weight at a moderate rate and aren't hungry or lacking energy, then keep going.
    If you are super hungry, low on energy or losing weight faster than you expect, then bump your calories up a bit.

The calculators are only ever going to give you an estimate, you have to try it out to see what's sustainable and works for you.