TDEE

Options
I know this has been asked before and I did research but am confused when it comes to strength training.

I currently need to lose 55lbs and have lost about 9 since Oct so about 46lbs to go. I follow 1200 cals and eat back majority of my exercise calories so I usually eat about 1500-1700 cals a day. I wear a HRM to get my exercise calorie count.

However I know that HRM don't effectively monitor cals burned when it comes to strength training. I keep reading that TDEE is the best to use.

How should I calculate my TDEE as far as exercise? Moderate? I do UJAM which is like a higher paced Zumba twice a week (burn around 550 cals) and 45 minutes of total body dumbbell workout 3x a week. One day I go skating, play bball, soccer or tennis with the kids but I don't wear my HRM and we do this for at least an hour. And one day rest.

The best website to calculate TDEE? I keep getting different numbers. Not sure which activity level to use.

Thanks for the feedback.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Weight training does not burn that many calories. I would personally suggest not worrying about it. Eat cardio calories back still though. The other option is use the Strength training entry in the cardio section for calories if you are really worried about it. Scobby's TDEE calculator is the one I like.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    bsmith2016 wrote: »
    I keep reading that TDEE is the best to use.
    Best is personal really as in a perfect world both the MFP method and TDEE method would arrive at the same calories if averaged out over an extended period.
    TDEE is more simple for sure and suits people who have a regular routine and a same every day allowance works for them. My exercise burns vary hugely from day to day, weekly and even by the season. As a cyclist I also need to fuel my long rides appropriately so for me at least the MFP method is best.

If you have a few weeks of your own logging data already you can calculate your TDEE from there - advantage is if your logging is consistent any logging inaccuracies are taken into account.
    Add up total cals eaten for 28 days, add 3500 for every pound lost, divide by 28

I'd either do that or simply pick 1700 (if that's currently working for you) and adjust from there.