Protein and weight loss

Options
So I have been going through the forums and the Internet to find out all about protein. Basically, My understanding of it is that it rebuilds muscles.
I also 'know' that in order to build muscles, you need to be in a Calorie surplus.

My question is, when I'm losing weight
1. What is the 'point' in protein? (as I haven't got round to exercise, but focusing on getting my diet in control and healthier)
2. I know sometimes when losing weight we will lose muscle, will eating more protein avoid this?

And I am looking to start exercising soon. Mainly strength /lifting exercises, as cardio is my hell

Replies

• echmain
    echmain Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Protein can help you feel fuller longer.

If I eat a protein rich breakfast I won't feel hungry until lunch time rolls around.

But if I eat a carb heavy breakfast my stomach will be grumbling by 9am. Even if the calorie count is the same.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You probably dont need as much as you think. I would guess around .5g per body lb. Protein helps build muscle and the more muscle you have on you the faster your body burns fat off. If I had to just guess I would again say maybe .5g per body lb to .75g
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    It helps with muscle retention.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    So I have been going through the forums and the Internet to find out all about protein. Basically, My understanding of it is that it rebuilds muscles.
    I also 'know' that in order to build muscles, you need to be in a Calorie surplus.

My question is, when I'm losing weight
    1. What is the 'point' in protein? (as I haven't got round to exercise, but focusing on getting my diet in control and healthier)
    2. I know sometimes when losing weight we will lose muscle, will eating more protein avoid this?

And I am looking to start exercising soon. Mainly strength /lifting exercises, as cardio is my hell

1) Protein is muscle sparing when in a deficit
    2)Absolutely

Somewhere around 0.6g/lb of bodyweight is sufficient protein when in a calorie deficit.
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For me, the focus on protein helps me feel fuller for longer. I have lost and gained weight many times and this is the first time that it doesn't feel like a "diet." I think that is because I am concentrating on protein-rich foods which keep me fuller longer and don't send me into snacking on pretzels and crackers all day like I used to. I still eat carbs, I just focus on the protein more than the carbs.

Has been working for me - down 40 lbs in about 6 months.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    You want to keep the muscle you have? Eat enough protein. (Plus that thing about it being filling is true for some.)

How much is enough? I personally agree with that .6-.8g per pound of bodyweight idea (research suggests we need a bit more protein when in a calorie deficit in order to hang onto as much muscle as possible, and a little insurance cushion of extra isn't harmful to a healthy person).

However, if you are substantially overweight, calculate the protein goal based on a healthy goal weight, not on a substantially overweight current weight (if that's your scenario). Body fat doesn't need protein to maintain it. Lean tissue is what needs protein for maintenance.
  • Winterbaby2014
    Winterbaby2014 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Okay, so one of my focuses now is to eat about 85g protein a day. I think this may take a while to adjust to, as I've hardly thought about protein before! I don't often go above 50g! (and that's on a good day!)

My trouble is I don't eat quite a few foods, and most of the things which contain protein I don't eat.
    (not that I haven't tried, I have an issue with textures)

So when you're losing weight/fat it's not possible to gain muscle? I'm not worried about being a certain number on the scales, I want to look slimmer and leaner. Which obviously I will have to exercise for. Basically I want to know how to do both at the same time, or do I have to wait till Ive lost the weight then embark on the get fit routines
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Okay, so one of my focuses now is to eat about 85g protein a day. I think this may take a while to adjust to, as I've hardly thought about protein before! I don't often go above 50g! (and that's on a good day!)

My trouble is I don't eat quite a few foods, and most of the things which contain protein I don't eat.
    (not that I haven't tried, I have an issue with textures)

So when you're losing weight/fat it's not possible to gain muscle? I'm not worried about being a certain number on the scales, I want to look slimmer and leaner. Which obviously I will have to exercise for. Basically I want to know how to do both at the same time, or do I have to wait till Ive lost the weight then embark on the get fit routines

I'd recommend beginning to lift right away. I'd suggest Strong Curves for you, very popular and effective program. Also, I would personally go with slimming down while lifting before worrying too much about how much muscle you're gaining.

As you lift and lose, what muscle you have is going to become more defined and appear to be gains. Couple that with newbie gains, because you will add muscle for a little bit while you're in the beginning stages, and see where you want to go from there. Keeping it simple keeps it more sustainable at the start. Hope that helps some.