Large Calorie Deficit w/ Exercise

Replies

• jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    I just did a quick calculation, supposing your only exercise is those 1500 per day for 3 days, you are netting 800 calories per day. That's a big old no. If you do other exercise on other days, that is reduced again. If you are someone who gets quite a lot of incidental steps in a day, it further reduces it.

I hope at the very least you are also doing some strength training as all that cardio is not supporting lean mass retention.

Bottom line, you need to eat more. If this has always been your approach to weight loss it isn't any wonder you keep losing muscle.

Again, you need to look at overall averages and your numbers are worrying.

Just gonna go ahead and quote myself here. You are netting 800 or below on average across the week. That is not okay.

Where that deficit comes from, whether it's 3 days or 7 is irrelevant. Your average deficit is too large to support basic bodily function and lean mass.

Thanks for your reply. I just checked. I'm netting closer to 950 calories per day. I'm averaging about 5300 calorie deficit a week or 757 per day. That should equate to about 1.5 lb weight loss per week. I've just started back on this fat loss journey recently and I don't want to lose muscle like I did last time. That's why I'm trying to make sure I get this right. I thought between 1 and 2 lbs a week is an acceptable goal. ??? I do try to do some strength training but it's just not "fun" so I don't do it much. I appreciate your input. I guess you answered my question...basically it doesn't matter so much about those three days as long as over the week it averages out to a more acceptable number. I was just concerned those 3 days were going to eat up my muscle mass. I guess if I wasn't trying to lose this weight as quickly as possible it would be moot and I could eat more on those workout days. But since I don't have much of a deficit on those other days I'd like to take advantage of the high calorie burn days.
  • jtintx
    edited January 2017
    Also, if by "his" you mean mine, I am a woman.
    My sincerest apologies. I didn't take the time to look at your profile. My mistake. The little thumbnail photo on my device isn't very clear. After looking at your profile I'm am highly impressed with your success. Congratulations!!! That is awesome.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    jtintx wrote: »
    Also, if by "his" you mean mine, I am a woman.
    My sincerest apologies. I didn't take the time to look at your profile. My mistake. The little thumbnail photo on my device isn't very clear. After looking at your profile I'm am highly impressed with your success. Congratulations!!! That is awesome.

Thank you and no problem. I am going to pretend that it was because I am so muscular. *flexes* :)
  • WilsonFilson
    WilsonFilson Posts: 83 Member
    Calorie deficits should be reasonable (20-25% of tdee). Otherwise you risk dipping into muscle mass to fuel your burn. When weight loss slows, drop calories by 50 cals/day to see if that gets things going again. Don't go below your bmr.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited January 2017
    To retain muscle you would probably do better with an average 500 cal deficit, or a 1lbs a week loss.

Even though you don't like it as much as cardio, some kind of resistance training or weight lifting will preserve some, not all muscle as you lose, as will a protein level of .8-1g of ideal body weight.

What you are doing now, only cardio and a high deficit may contribute to a higher muscle loss than you want, or is needed.

You may find it useful to look up intermittent fasting protocols where the calorie intake for the week is alternated between maintenance days and low calorie fast days. Your 3 exercise days are complete fast days as you are zeroing out your intake through your exercise.

The way you are approaching your weight loss will probably not give you the body, or results you are looking for.

Cheers, h.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Is that profile picture a current picture of you?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    @jtintx How long have you been on this plan and NOT losing weight? I think a lot of responders are not seeing that you said you aren't losing weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMTkmiiut8y__-bNBizU3tqVWjV-o7KIY6OL5XR1yq3L0St6lnog
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    jtintx wrote: »
    I just did a quick calculation, supposing your only exercise is those 1500 per day for 3 days, you are netting 800 calories per day. That's a big old no. If you do other exercise on other days, that is reduced again. If you are someone who gets quite a lot of incidental steps in a day, it further reduces it.

I hope at the very least you are also doing some strength training as all that cardio is not supporting lean mass retention.

Bottom line, you need to eat more. If this has always been your approach to weight loss it isn't any wonder you keep losing muscle.

Again, you need to look at overall averages and your numbers are worrying.

Just gonna go ahead and quote myself here. You are netting 800 or below on average across the week. That is not okay.

Where that deficit comes from, whether it's 3 days or 7 is irrelevant. Your average deficit is too large to support basic bodily function and lean mass.

Thanks for your reply. I just checked. I'm netting closer to 950 calories per day. I'm averaging about 5300 calorie deficit a week or 757 per day. That should equate to about 1.5 lb weight loss per week. I've just started back on this fat loss journey recently and I don't want to lose muscle like I did last time. That's why I'm trying to make sure I get this right. I thought between 1 and 2 lbs a week is an acceptable goal. ??? I do try to do some strength training but it's just not "fun" so I don't do it much. I appreciate your input. I guess you answered my question...basically it doesn't matter so much about those three days as long as over the week it averages out to a more acceptable number. I was just concerned those 3 days were going to eat up my muscle mass. I guess if I wasn't trying to lose this weight as quickly as possible it would be moot and I could eat more on those workout days. But since I don't have much of a deficit on those other days I'd like to take advantage of the high calorie burn days.

Safe rate of loss is relative to current weight, amount to lose and safe caloric intake. So no, 1 to 2lbs per week is not one size fits all.

And again, you calculation of 950 net per day on average isn't taking into account just day to day moving around. That also needs fuelled and will reduce your net further.
  • jtintx
    edited January 2017
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Is that profile picture a current picture of you?

No that was taken on my 50th birthday (2012 when I was an active MFP user)...almost 6 months to the day before my husband passed away. Since then I've gained 40 lbs. I'm an active user again so hopefully I'll get similar results.
  • jtintx
    edited January 2017
    kimny72 wrote: »
    @jtintx How long have you been on this plan and NOT losing weight? I think a lot of responders are not seeing that you said you aren't losing weight.
    I've only been back on for two weeks. I lost 2.5 pounds the first week and only half a pound the second. So far this week I've gain a quarter pound. I know muscle burns calories so that's why I don't want to lose any. I lost quite a bit of muscle the first go round.

• jtintx

Safe rate of loss is relative to current weight, amount to lose and safe caloric intake. So no, 1 to 2lbs per week is not one size fits all.

And again, you calculation of 950 net per day on average isn't taking into account just day to day moving around. That also needs fuelled and will reduce your net further.

That's true...unfortunately I'm pretty sedentary most of the day. I'm retired.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    What @VintageFeline says. Your math is off, you are in a much deeper deficit that you think and yes you are going to lose muscle, probably a significant amount. It cannot be any more clearly stated.
  • jtintx

You may find it useful to look up intermittent fasting protocols where the calorie intake for the week is alternated between maintenance days and low calorie fast days. Your 3 exercise days are complete fast days as you are zeroing out your intake through your exercise.

That's basically what I've been doing without realizing it! I guess it's not such a bad thing after all. Thanks!

• jtintx
    You will lose muscle and without wanting to sound in any way rude, at your age you want to be doing every single thing you can to preserve it, it's all downhill for muscle loss and harder gains the older you get.

And if you really want to retain as much muscle as possible, on top of eating more you really need to do some sort of strength training.

Exactly (emphasis mine), that's why I was so concerned about the high exercise days. I'll try strength training but I'll probably whine about it the whole time. Honestly, I'm scared to eat more, especially since my appetite has been under control lately with the high protein I've been consuming. I want this weight gone. :smile:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I give up.