Myfitnesspal notifications using up all my phone storage

Options
So I just realized the Myfitnesspal app uses 3.3 GB of memory on my phone... thats more than facebook, instagram, and all my music combined!

I have a feeling it might be because theres no way to delete notifications that come from the forums (I have since turned those all off to prevent future ones), and the only way to delete the notifications for your main page feed is to swipe them left one by one. There is no way to turn off the feed notifications and it would take me half the day to delete them one by one... Why has myfitnesspal not implemented a way to clear all notifications easily or turn off notifications for your feed??? Just opening that bell menu it lags terribly and takes about 15 seconds to open and is really buggy too.

I tried contacting technical support about this but have received no response yet.
I doubt this is the right forum to post this in but I wasn't sure where else to put it.

Is anyone else having these issues??

Replies

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    3.3 GB?! I definitely think that's a glitch. Mine takes up 120 MB. Does it change any if you restart your phone?
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    3.3 GB?! I definitely think that's a glitch. Mine takes up 120 MB. Does it change any if you restart your phone?

Well I restarted my phone and the myfitnesspal app storage went down to 85 MB, but as soon as I opened it and used it for a couple seconds and went back and checked it's back to 3.3 GB. What the heck??
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Try disabling all notifications, clean the cache (if able) and/or reinstall/update the app. Mine uses about 270MB pretty consistently fwiw.

edit: You may have to disable everything from a browser/pc
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    Try disabling all notifications, clean the cache (if able) and/or reinstall/update the app. Mine uses about 270MB pretty consistently fwiw.

I disabled all the forums notifications and disabled push notifications and email notifications, but I'm still getting feed/homepage notifications- do you know if there's any way to disable those?

If I delete the app and reload will I lose my weight loss graph or anything?
  • Cylphin60
    edited January 2017
    Options

I disabled all the forums notifications and disabled push notifications and email notifications, but I'm still getting feed/homepage notifications- do you know if there's any way to disable those?

In a browser you can go to home>settings>newsfeed settings and disable everything there.

All your personal info and graphs are stored server side if I'm not mistaken, so deleting/reinstalling the app shouldn't delete them. I'd check with tech support first on that though.

The app might also have a memory leak, which support would need to get a handle on too. 3.3Gb of ram would almost be a deal breaker for me.

edit: What os? On the iphones app, push notifications to the wall can be disabled as well. I don't know if android is the same....

edit2: You should probably post under suggestions/feedback

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/website-suggestions-feedback

I'm sure there are other users wondering why the app is so slow and have never looked into it. Hope this helps some :)
  • steingrunnen
    steingrunnen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The constant notifiacations to 'congratulate so and so' is super annoying, and yes the app takes up more space then it should.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Iphone
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    home>more>settings>push notifications

I also added a bit to my previous post
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options

In a browser you can go to home>settings>newsfeed settings and disable everything there.

All your personal info and graphs are stored server side if I'm not mistaken, so deleting/reinstalling the app shouldn't delete them. I'd check with tech support first on that though.

The app might also have a memory leak, which support would need to get a handle on too. 3.3Gb of ram would almost be a deal breaker for me.

edit: What os? On the iphones app, push notifications to the wall can be disabled as well. I don't know if android is the same....

edit2: You should probably post under suggestions/feedback

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/website-suggestions-feedback

I'm sure there are other users wondering why the app is so slow and have never looked into it. Hope this helps some :)

On the website you can adjust the automatic newsfeed settings but NOT the damn notifications settings. Like you can make it so completing your diary does or does not post to the feed, but doesn't seem like you can do anything about the stupid bell menu at the top left corner that fills up with all the notifications about what all your friends are doing?
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Heh - at the bottom of the settings page it says you'll still get them even disabled, just not on the home screen.

I'd recommend going into the phones settings>notifications>Myfitnesspal and disabling push notifications there as well.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    I don't think I had any storage issues before they added that feature, and when I do sit there and manually delete a bunch of those notifications the storage goes down just slightly.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    I'm googling it now and it looks like this has been an ongoing issue for some time. Not being able to disable them, that is.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Good news!

So I deleted and then reinstalled the myfitnesspal app and all the data I wanted to keep is still there (weight loss graph, friends, etc), but it only brought back notifications for up to 1 week ago (instead of all the way back to when I started using the app a few months ago).

The phone storage the app is taking went from 3.3 GB down to 115 MB. Thank goodness!

Looks like I will just need to occasionally delete and reinstall the app to clear out the junk (until they do another app update to fix the notification overload issues).
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Awesome! :)
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue-MFP using tons of data. I deleted & reinstalled the app and all of the hundreds of notifications came back. I didn't realize I had to swipe to delete them. It would take weeks to get them off my phone one by one. Why is there no "delete all" function?!!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, The problem is not my settings it is that of my many friends. It just baloons out of proportion. There are days when I have over 1,000 of those messages of which most are also in my newsfeed! I have already complained about it, but to date no way to get rid of that stupid bell thing. Heard that on the feedback forum.
    Why push it onto people without the ability to batch delete and/or stop the constant memory hogg. Firstrule of app developement How can I stop my new feature.

Irritates me to no end that they produce such a nuisance for the app, but not even address the features that have been asked for by many user of many years (copying recipes, or searching your own recipes for instance)
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue-MFP using tons of data. I deleted & reinstalled the app and all of the hundreds of notifications came back. I didn't realize I had to swipe to delete them. It would take weeks to get them off my phone one by one. Why is there no "delete all" function?!!

Right?? Huge oversight on the developers part!! Also did you notice there's no way at all to delete forum notifications??

But I did find that when I delete and reinstall the app only 1 weeks worth of notifications reinstalled so the storage used went way down. So I just have to delete and reinstall every so often. Try that - deleting feed notifications one by one is far too tedious!