Why did I gain weight?

124»

Replies

• Marjayhan
    Marjayhan Posts: 59 Member
    Use your device as well to scan the items you are cooking, for anything that you can. I find this helps and is more helpful and accurate than picking generic items from a list. Also your scales could be off. I find both types of scales are useless but i get weighed at the Pharmacy once a week and rely on that result. Cos i have both type of scales and they are way off. I mean not just daily. If i step on the scale it will give me a weight. If i step off and step back on its totally different again and again. It's annoying.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    stylzemail wrote: »
    Weight Training does cause weight gain but it's mostly muscle mass. What you can do is do this everyday religiously: Breakfast: un-cooked oatmeal oats , with apple juice added with raisins. Lunch -popcorn or sunflower seeds in shells. DINNER: Meat and vegetables (chicken, fish, turkey) or meat and salad. NO Bread or Cheese or noodles pasta. The oats be the carbs to fuel the muscles during the day, the popcorn is the fiber. Dinner is protein and vegetable enzymes. The carbs. Be low. As the calories low the body can't store any excess ... because there is nothing to store , it gets used up.
    The body goes into ketosis using it own fat storage , you slim down, to keep body weight at steady level you just add more carbs.foods.

Wow....no, just no.

With the diet you suggested, no one is gaining muscle.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2017
    margeh75 wrote: »
    Use your device as well to scan the items you are cooking, for anything that you can. I find this helps and is more helpful and accurate than picking generic items from a list. Also your scales could be off. I find both types of scales are useless but i get weighed at the Pharmacy once a week and rely on that result. Cos i have both type of scales and they are way off. I mean not just daily. If i step on the scale it will give me a weight. If i step off and step back on its totally different again and again. It's annoying.

Just noting that, while this is a better strategy than using generic entries, the scanned items are user maintained in the database, and those entries are frequently incorrect as well. For best results, always make sure to compare your labels against what the database entry says. The green check marked "verified " entries are also frequently incorrect. For fruits, vegetables, and raw meats, the ones matching the ASDA/USDA database are typically the most accurate.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    rodwen89 wrote: »
    Look, I'm sorry, I looked at your diary and you are basically eating no fresh, unprocessed food.
    Where are the fruit and vegetables in your diet? You eat processed food and have no idea what you are consuming with it.

I think you would really benefit from a low carb, high protein, high (healthy) fat diet. Please look it up.

No. Some actually don't benefit from low carb. I certainly don't. Also, OPs logging errors have been brought up.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    ammo7 wrote: »
    OP, can you open your food diary, please?

It is open to the public, at least I think it is.

Yep, your diary is open.
    It is very clear to me that your problem is in your logging. It is unfortunately incredibly easy to consume far more calories than we realize. You are logging generic entries and not weighing your food, so your food diary is currently just a vague estimate of what you have been eating.

For example, you log "generic brushcetta" but the calories your actual brushcetta contains will vary wildly depending on how much oil is used to make it. Furthermore, you logged it as half a cup, which is not an accurate way to measure solid food.

I know it must feel frustrating to have put on weight, but the good news is that if you tighten up your food logging so that you are truly sticking to your calorie goals, then you will lose weight. All that is required to lose weight is to consume less calories than you burn, so it is definitely worthwhile to take the time to learn how to log your food properly.

Good luck with your weight loss goals, you can do this! :)

Edited to add: it looks like your goal has been set at 1000 calories. There is no need to set such a low goal. Instead, focus on accurately meeting a more reasonable goal, since you are almost certainly eating far, far more than 1000 calories.

Thank you, but I am endomorphic in terms of my body type: I gain muscle and fat extremely easily, but I cannot lose it as fast as someone who's an ectomorph or a mesomorph. Because of that, I need to keep a low calorie goal because, if I make it lower, I end up eating a lower amount (it's usually around 1200- 1300 now, before hand I would eat MUCH more because of the calorie goal being higher).

I wish I could exercise more, but my plantar fasciitis is so bad that I officially limp in the morning when I get up. I am going to focus more on muscle training, martial arts, and I will try to make sure I eat properly more. I apologize, I'm just not as smart as I should be in my major.

somatypes(ectomorph,mesomorph,etc) have been debunked. it was a study done to see if a certain body type had a certain personality, it has nothing to do with how fast or slow someone loses or gains weight/muscle.someone just thought they would apply that to the study and make money off it.

Lots of people say the somatypes are not real but I think there is really something to it- not different personality types but definitely believe there are different body types and different metabolism types typical to a certain frame or build. I've seen it in action- I have one friend who can eat a whole bag of fried pita chips and drink a bottle of wine and eat a bag of chocolate caramel popcorn, and not exercise and will not gain weight... if I did that same thing I would gain. She stays the same low weight most of the time and exercise just makes her more muscular but she is always thin and has a flat stomach. She eats a crazy amount of food and not particularly healthy. Actually I have 2 friends like that although the other one fluctuates between a normal weight and being under weight- she has to constantly eat large portions just to not lose too much weight. They are both the typical tall slim thinner frame- ectomorphs for sure! I also have a shorter friend who is and ectomorph too so it's not just because they're tall either- she has a TINY frame, thin face, tiny wrists, etc. She eats healthy most of the time but enjoys large portions for her size, eating out often, and lots of wine. Then there's me and I'm your typical endomorph... I have to really watch everything I eat and cannot indulge in wine at all or eating whole bags of chips or large portions... and if I do indulge I pack on the fat like you wouldn't believe! My frame is on the medium/large size for my height- wrists measure 6.25" and just shy of 5'4" tall. I was chubby my entire childhood and became borderline obese at one point and it has taken me months of hard work in the gym and extremely careful calorie counting just to drop 16 pounds. I also have a friend who is the typical mesomorph body type- athletic build and gets in shape and drops weight easily when she puts in the effort, but if she slacks off she gains fat easily too, but not as fast as I would. She has a medium frame and wider shoulders and more narrow hips and small butt. I'm more of an hourglass. There has to be something to the somatypes if just within the small sampling of my friends we each fit into one of the categories so perfectly- and this is only a few examples, I can probably take each person I know and figure out what body type their build and metabolism match up with, though some might be more of a blend or 2 types rather than each fitting one perfectly.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    margeh75 wrote: »

Just noting that, while this is a better strategy than using generic entries, the scanned items are user maintained in the database, and those entries are frequently incorrect as well. For best results, always make sure to compare your labels against what the database entry says. The green check marked "verified " entries are also frequently incorrect. For fruits, vegetables, and raw meats, the ones matching the ASDA/USDA database are typically the most accurate.

That's burned me more than once, the helpful thing about scanning while you cook is that you have the label right there to verify real quick. But definitely the accuracy of the entries are as important as accurate weighing of food, especially if you focus on macronutrients.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    ammo7 wrote: »
    OP, can you open your food diary, please?

It is open to the public, at least I think it is.

Yep, your diary is open.
    It is very clear to me that your problem is in your logging. It is unfortunately incredibly easy to consume far more calories than we realize. You are logging generic entries and not weighing your food, so your food diary is currently just a vague estimate of what you have been eating.

For example, you log "generic brushcetta" but the calories your actual brushcetta contains will vary wildly depending on how much oil is used to make it. Furthermore, you logged it as half a cup, which is not an accurate way to measure solid food.

I know it must feel frustrating to have put on weight, but the good news is that if you tighten up your food logging so that you are truly sticking to your calorie goals, then you will lose weight. All that is required to lose weight is to consume less calories than you burn, so it is definitely worthwhile to take the time to learn how to log your food properly.

Good luck with your weight loss goals, you can do this! :)

Edited to add: it looks like your goal has been set at 1000 calories. There is no need to set such a low goal. Instead, focus on accurately meeting a more reasonable goal, since you are almost certainly eating far, far more than 1000 calories.

Thank you, but I am endomorphic in terms of my body type: I gain muscle and fat extremely easily, but I cannot lose it as fast as someone who's an ectomorph or a mesomorph. Because of that, I need to keep a low calorie goal because, if I make it lower, I end up eating a lower amount (it's usually around 1200- 1300 now, before hand I would eat MUCH more because of the calorie goal being higher).

I wish I could exercise more, but my plantar fasciitis is so bad that I officially limp in the morning when I get up. I am going to focus more on muscle training, martial arts, and I will try to make sure I eat properly more. I apologize, I'm just not as smart as I should be in my major.

somatypes(ectomorph,mesomorph,etc) have been debunked. it was a study done to see if a certain body type had a certain personality, it has nothing to do with how fast or slow someone loses or gains weight/muscle.someone just thought they would apply that to the study and make money off it.

Lots of people say the somatypes are not real but I think there is really something to it- not different personality types but definitely believe there are different body types and different metabolism types typical to a certain frame or build. I've seen it in action- I have one friend who can eat a whole bag of fried pita chips and drink a bottle of wine and eat a bag of chocolate caramel popcorn, and not exercise and will not gain weight... if I did that same thing I would gain. She stays the same low weight most of the time and exercise just makes her more muscular but she is always thin and has a flat stomach. She eats a crazy amount of food and not particularly healthy. Actually I have 2 friends like that although the other one fluctuates between a normal weight and being under weight- she has to constantly eat large portions just to not lose too much weight. They are both the typical tall slim thinner frame- ectomorphs for sure! I also have a shorter friend who is and ectomorph too so it's not just because they're tall either- she has a TINY frame, thin face, tiny wrists, etc. She eats healthy most of the time but enjoys large portions for her size, eating out often, and lots of wine. Then there's me and I'm your typical endomorph... I have to really watch everything I eat and cannot indulge in wine at all or eating whole bags of chips or large portions... and if I do indulge I pack on the fat like you wouldn't believe! My frame is on the medium/large size for my height- wrists measure 6.25" and just shy of 5'4" tall. I was chubby my entire childhood and became borderline obese at one point and it has taken me months of hard work in the gym and extremely careful calorie counting just to drop 16 pounds. I also have a friend who is the typical mesomorph body type- athletic build and gets in shape and drops weight easily when she puts in the effort, but if she slacks off she gains fat easily too, but not as fast as I would. She has a medium frame and wider shoulders and more narrow hips and small butt. I'm more of an hourglass. There has to be something to the somatypes if just within the small sampling of my friends we each fit into one of the categories so perfectly- and this is only a few examples, I can probably take each person I know and figure out what body type their build and metabolism match up with, though some might be more of a blend or 2 types rather than each fitting one perfectly.

well the study when it comes to weight loss and gain has been debunked. the only way you gain weight is if you are in a caloric surplus(aside from health issues but it still comes to CICO the equation may differ a little),if you lose you are in a deficit. thats the science of it.has nothing to do with body type. if it were I would fall under all 3 categories as I have characteristics of all 3. so I know thats bunk.for those who stay slim a lot of them are either more active,eat less or combo of those things or they may also have an underlying health issue.and metabolism is metabolism it works or it doesnt(some may have a slower one than others,and most obese people have a high metabolism)

The study had nothing to do with any of what you were saying. the study like I said had to do with personalities. if there was such a thing as somatypes then even in a caloric deficit people would have a hard time losing(health issues aside) its all about CICO. myself I have a metabolic disorder,I can lose weight with CICO,its harder and slower but that doesnt mean I have a certain body type.anyone that slacks off from diet and exercise can gain weight. I gained weight moving less and eating more whether I realized it back then or not.The study has nothing to do with metabolism either.There are different body frame type (small frame,medium frame and large frame),which is why we are all built differently but it has nothing to do with somatype and how hard or easy it is to change our body(gain or lose).for some no matter what it will be hard to change their body to how they want it to look or thinks it should look. some want a 6 pack and will never see it no matter how low their body fat gets or how hard they work.like I said they decided to take these "types" of bodies and make money off it by saying you have to eat a certain way which is best for your body type. That goes right up there with the blood type diet.

I was thin all my life,never had a weight issue, ate what i wanted and in large quantities too. but as I got older and more sedentary things changed,hormones changed,I had kids,etc. https://www.britannica.com/biography/William-Sheldon
    http://users.rider.edu/~suler/somato.html
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    hazcad wrote: »
    There's your problem! You're not eating enough calories for the amount of exercise you're doing so your bodies storing calories rather than burning them. Track & weigh everything you eat and drink, go on Google and find a site where you can learn about and work out your BMR (basic metabolic rate) then work out how many calories based on that you should be eating and go from there.

This is like saying you're not putting enough gasoline in your car for the amount you drive, so your car is holding onto the energy from the gas and storing in the form of additional seating and a minibar instead of using it to run the engine--but it still magically takes you to work or wherever you want to go.
  • AmirHafizhin
    AmirHafizhin Posts: 2 Member
    Hey there, pls make sure that your insuline level is slow. Maybe your body is insuline sensitive, try to avoid process sugar, fruits, carbs. Switch to complex carbs. In case u cant resists simple carbs.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    This thread seems to be luring in all the people with bad information... is there a lock we can put on the door behind us when we leave? lol o:)
    So you're saying my apple cider vinegar tumeric detox won't put me into starvation mode?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    hazcad wrote: »
    There's your problem! You're not eating enough calories for the amount of exercise you're doing so your bodies storing calories rather than burning them. Track & weigh everything you eat and drink, go on Google and find a site where you can learn about and work out your BMR (basic metabolic rate) then work out how many calories based on that you should be eating and go from there.

This is like saying you're not putting enough gasoline in your car for the amount you drive, so your car is holding onto the energy from the gas and storing in the form of additional seating and a minibar instead of using it to run the engine--but it still magically takes you to work or wherever you want to go.

fumes lynn fumes lol