Nutrisystem - Any feedback ?

I have been planning on trying Nutrisystem for the following reasons :

1. I have a lot of trouble ensuring I am getting my calorie intake right.
2. I am also concerned I might get nutritional deficiencies if I keep doing my own mix and match.
3. I was b/w jobs the last few weeks and had time to do all the meal planning.I am not so sure if I will have that kind of thinking/cooking time after I join this new job that I start Thursday.

I have heard that Nutrisystem balances your nutritional needs well but the price is a turn off and ofcourse I am slightly concerned about the taste.I am a vegetarian.Also another big concern I have is looking at the quantity of their meals,I wonder if I will be forever hungry.

I eat less than or around 1200 calories everyday now and I feel full and don't feel deprived or hungry with my self-created meal plan.

Replies

• I have been planning on trying Nutrisystem for the following reasons :

1. I have a lot of trouble ensuring I am getting my calorie intake right.
    2. I am also concerned I might get nutritional deficiencies if I keep doing my own mix and match.
    3. I was b/w jobs the last few weeks and had time to do all the meal planning.I am not so sure if I will have that kind of thinking/cooking time after I join this new job that I start Thursday.

I have heard that Nutrisystem balances your nutritional needs well but the price is a turn off and ofcourse I am slightly concerned about the taste.I am a vegetarian.Also another big concern I have is looking at the quantity of their meals,I wonder if I will be forever hungry.

I eat less than or around 1200 calories everyday now and I feel full and don't feel deprived or hungry with my self-created meal plan.
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    different things work for different people. I did nutriystem 15 years ago and lost the weight i wanted to loose, however, once i got off it, I gained it all back. Not only that, but since I never drank the amount of water they wanted me to drink, i ended up with kidney stones. i have no history of kidney stones in my family and I was in my 20's so the doctors thought that was odd. I think it was the Nutrisystem food. Also, I think i gained the weight back because having the "right" portions and calories counted for me with the pre-packaged foods was a crutch and didn't teach me anything about self control and how to watch my own caloric intake.

Now, I work full time, have two kids, and barely have time for anything and I am still managing to loose about 2 lbs per week by just counting calories and excercising every week. And best of all, it doesn't cost any more money! If you take a supliment and get five servings of fruits and veggies, you should do all right. Also, there is this fibre suppliment that is tasteless, and doesn't get thick and you can put it in just about anything from coffee to pancake batter and that should help you take care of your 25 grams of fibre daily. If you do end up doing Nutrisystems, let me know how that ends up working for you.

best of luck!
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    hi,

i was determined to get nutrisystem too but i didn't have freezer space for 4 weeks of meals. i found a website crosscrunch.com; you can prepare your own meals in 15 min or less and it is the same type of food that nutrisystem provides. you can shop one week at a time. i have lost 50 lbs on it.
  • Isabelle
    Isabelle Posts: 102
    I agree with faisuly, I think that you can't learn how to eat well if you go with that system. It may be effective, like a lot of other diet, but you gain your weight back when you stop it and go back to your habits. I think this site is a good way to learn the caloric value of what you eat and to fix your portions. That's my opinion...;)
  • loriallred
    loriallred Posts: 10 Member
    I did the Nutrisystem food for a while. It did work for me since I did not have enough time to cook my own food at the time. You don't need freezer space or anything it is all shelf food. However, the biggest problem with it, and why I stopped was because I didn't like the taste of all the food, and when they would run out of what I had ordered they would substitute other food I didn't like. Even the good stuff wasn't the greatest but some of it wasn't too bad. You'll just have to see if it is worth it to you.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Never tried Nutrisystem, but being a fellow veggie, I thought I would chime in.

Amy's makes frozen meals, many of which are under 400 calories, some under 300. All vegetarian. I think it would be more cost effective to come up with your own nutrisystem.

I've also noticed, in my 20 years of reading every ingredient on a package/being a veggie, most of the "good for you" dinners/bars/energy or meal replacement drinks are just sugar, protein, fiber and added vitamins. I think you are better off eating real food and taking a multi-vitamin.