Health Plan at work pays for gym membership

Options
Just found out that my Medical/Health Insurance plan at work reimburses me $20 per month for each calendar month I go to the gym 12 or more days.

I bring this up so that you all can check with your plans for a similar offer of which you might not be informed. I wasn't until very recently.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Ours used to - up to $100/year for gym and/or fitness equipment reimbursement. They stopped that a few years ago.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    We have a similar benefit here at work.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yup. Mine has a deal as well.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    It's coming as a surprise to many here at the office.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I get a 20% discount at the YMCA from my company and my husband gets a $500 stipend from his company to spend on fitness gear. We both have nominally-priced gyms on site as well.

Bonus if they decide that fitness equipment should be tax-deductible!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    We get reimbursed if we work out more then 144 times a year plus we use a site called Power of Vitality so we get "bucks" for being healthy, working out, going to the doctor and learning more about our health. I earned $350 last year plus what I was reimbursed for gym membership.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I pay $25 a month and can join over a dozen different gyms in my area. When I travel I can always find a local gym I can visit. Plus, I have a small gym in my office. It is nice to work for a great company. Been here 20 years and I will probably be here 20 more.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    If you are over 65 and Medicare eligible, you are also entitled to a FREE gym membership.

You can enroll w/"Silver Sneakers" if you are a member of the Blue Shield or United Healthcare Medicare 65 Plus plans or "Silver & Fit" if you are a member of Kaiser's Medicare Advantage plan. Other Medicare plus plans should also provide similar benefits.

I'm 66 and just got my free gym membership thru Silver Sneakers. :)
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    If you are over 65 and Medicare eligible, you are also entitled to a FREE gym membership.

You can enroll w/"Silver Sneakers" if you are a member of the Blue Shield or United Healthcare Medicare 65 Plus plans or "Silver & Fit" if you are a member of Kaiser's Medicare Advantage plan. Other Medicare plus plans should also provide similar benefits.

Don't you have to be enrolled in one of.the participating Medicare supplement plans to get the health club benefits?

Could be wrong but don't think gym membership is a part of basic Medicare.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    My company gives all the employees $40 in "benefit", you can use it for gym fees, yoga class, your morning coffee, whatever. It pays for both mine and my husband's gym membership. We are a virtual company so finding a gym to sponsor memberships through would be a nightmare. This was you can gym if you like but if you don't want to you aren't missing out on the company benefit, it is nice.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Honestly, I do not understand people who go to the gym and train professionally and they do not have health insurance. I'm not paranoid, but I think it's best when you are insured. Before purchasing a subscription in the gym, I personally decided to study all health insurance plans on https://www.remedigap.com/companies/mutual-of-omaha-medicare-supplement/. I learned about many additional services and I was amazed that the services were so profitable. Soon I was already insured and began to visit the hall regularly seems to be right!

lots of people can't afford health insurance. period. my old $29 per month gym membership wouldn't even begin to cover it.

if my husband's company didn't pay for part of our health insurance, we'd be paying $1650 a month for it - as it is, we pay $850 of that. many people just don't have an extra $1650 a month - we don't, to be honest. and then we pay co-pays for visits plus there's the 20% of every dollar spent because we have PPO - we pay on top of the copay for some visits, for tests, etc, till we reach our out of pocket maximum. and then there's the $500 deductible for physical therapy.

insurance is mad expensive when you're over 50. a gym membership isn't.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    My company was doing a $40 healthclub reimbursement. Got a new CEO, took it away, he said we could afford a gym membership.

They did tell us later that the offer of a $40 reimbursement motivated very few to start going to the gym. The vast majority that were collecting the benefit were already going.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Don't you have to be enrolled in one of.the participating Medicare supplement plans to get the health club benefits?

You are correct.

Both of the programs that I mentioned are Medicare Advantage (or Plus) programs that offer a free gym membership to Medicare covered seniors.

The free gym membership is paid for under the additional health coverage, not by Medicare. However, you can't get the additional coverage unless you are already covered by Medicare
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

You are correct.

Both of the programs that I mentioned are Medicare Advantage (or Plus) programs that offer a free gym membership to Medicare covered seniors.

The free gym membership is paid for under the additional health coverage, not by Medicare. However, you can't get the additional coverage unless you are already covered by Medicare

Got it. I have to start Medicare next year so have been starting to look at it a bit. We had a Blue Cross option at work that had the $25/month gym membership for 10k+ gyms around the US and I used it in addition to my regular gym. Took that option away.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Ty for posting good content.