Your favorite turkey burger recipe?

Options
brightsideofpink
brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
Is anybody willing to share their favorite turkey burger recipe? Also, is it okay to make them with the extra lean (99% ff) turkey or does it need the 93%?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I use a Southern Living recipe, but I cut back on the mayo a good bit. I use 93% I think the fat helps to keep them from getting dry. The original recipe below. Here is what I did. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/05/cilantro-lime-turkey-burgers.html

Cilantro+Lime+Turkey+Burger.jpg

Best Turkey Burgers

YIELD: Makes 6 servings
    HANDS-ON:32 Minutes
    TOTAL:3 Hours
    COURSE: Main Dishes, Sandwiches

Ingredients

2 pounds lean ground turkey breast
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon lemon zest
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    Homemade Hamburger Buns

Preparation

1. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Combine first 5 ingredients gently. Shape mixture into 6 (5-inch) patties.

2. Grill, covered with grill lid, 6 to 7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 170°. Serve on Homemade Hamburger Buns.

Try These Twists!

Muffuletta Burgers: Stir 1/2 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed Spanish olives into meat mixture. Proceed as directed. Pulse 1/2 (16-oz.) jar mixed pickled vegetables, drained, and 2 Tbsp. Italian dressing in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Top each burger with vegetable mixture and salami, ham, and provolone cheese slices.

Note: We tested with Mezzetta Italian Mix Giardiniera pickled vegetables.

Green Tomato-Feta Burgers: Stir 1 (4-oz.) container crumbled feta cheese, 1 Tbsp. finely minced red onion, and 1 tsp. minced oregano into meat mixture. Proceed as directed. Top each burger with sliced pickled green tomatoes, lettuce, thinly sliced cucumber, a pinch of dried crushed red pepper, and a fresh dill sprig.

Pickled Onion-Chutney Burgers: Stir 2 Tbsp. finely chopped red onion and 1/3 cup mango chutney into meat mixture. Proceed as directed. Top each burger with a small wedge of blue cheese, arugula, whole grain Dijon mustard, and Red Onion Relish.

Southern Living JULY 2011
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    1 container (16 oz raw - 3 oz cooked ea.), Ground Chicken ot Turkey
    • 2 cup, pieces or slices, Mushrooms - Raw
    • 0.50 c, Sugar Free Tomato Sauce
    • 1 cup, chopped, Peppers - Sweet, red, raw
    • 1 tsp., the Original Worchestershire Sauce
    • 0.50 cup, Fresh Raw Chopped Onion
    Mix it all up and form into patties and fry in a TSP of olive oil. They make 4 burgers and are about 300 calories each without bun.
  • HoldTheDoor13
    HoldTheDoor13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I go the 93% personally, better flavour and less dryness.

The turkey burger itself is simply mince (500 g for my recipe), 2 tbsp of panko, a good pinch of salt and your favourite spices (I like to use chermoula, garlic powder and a little onion powder)

Form the parties, push your thumb down into the middle and get them into a medium hot pan with around 1/2 a tbsp of oil.

Once nicely browned on the outside and cooked through, I top them with goats cheese, balsamic reduction, baby spinach and red onion and stick em on some homemade brioche.
  • FlufferCat
    FlufferCat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I make a very simple turkey burger with barbecue sauce and chopped onions.
    It's just Ground Turkey.
    About half a cup of sauce.Just whatever I'm in the mood for.
    Finely chopped onions.Probably about half a cup.
    Shake a little dried parsley in.
    Salt and pepper.
    I'll often put this in a pan lined with foil,and bake it like a flat meatloaf.
    It's very moist this way.
    You can cut it into square burgers with a spatula.It can also be shaped into burgers,and cook it in a pan.
    But do use some non stick spray because the BBQ sauce can burn if you over cook it.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    For 1# of 93% ground turkey, I saute 1/2 cup yellow onion (finely chopped), and a cup of fresh baby spinach (coarsely chopped) in 1 Tbsp of olive oil and 1/2 TBSB butter until soft, set aside in a large bowl and let cool to room temperature. When the onion/spinach mixture is cooled off, add the ground turkey to the bowl and mix with your hands until combined. Form into patties. Season with whatever spice you like and grill ( I usually use my George Foreman grill). They stay moist this way.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I just mix my turkey with either a crushed chicken bouillon cube or some of the Montreal chicken seasoning, form patties, and grill. Put that on a toasted honey wheat bun with spinach, tomato, provolone, bacon, mayo, and dijon. So tasty.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe, but I like to mix in chopped sun dried tomatoes, chopped kalamata olives, some feta cheese and a little oregano for a Greek turkey burger.
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Montreal steak seasoning, Worcestershire, minced fresh jalapeno, minced dried onion. Awesome.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    The frozen ones I buy from Trader Joe's.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I just buy the lean or whatever is on sale...make them into patties....season with salt, pepper, garlic (or Johnny's seasoning) then put 1/2 oz of blue cheese on the patty at the end and smother with sautéed mushrooms...it is so yummy!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I buy whatever is on sale, and mix in 1/3 cup of quick cooking oats, and whatever seasonings we feel like. A favourite is chipotle sauce. I bake them for 15 minutes and finish them on the grill. It keeps them from falling apart. Smoked gruyere is a nice cheese to have with them.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    I make this with ground chicken, but I guess you could use turkey.

1 lb ground chicken
    1 ripe avocado
    1/3 c Panko.
    3 cloves garlic minced
    1/4 c onion minced
    1 Tb evoo
    Salt/pepper/seasoning to taste

Sauté onion and garlic. Mix with other ingredients. I grill on a double sided griddle for about 20 min. Makes 4 burgers

257 calories.
  • Rachael_789
    Rachael_789 Posts: 93 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Turkey and Apple burgers.

Turkey mince
    Grate an apple
    Crushed garlic
    Paprika
    Salt & pepper
  • rmaloy2794
    rmaloy2794 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yum! I want to try every single one of these, you guys!
  • tjk0905
    tjk0905 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1lb ground turkey or chicken
    2 tbsp prepared pesto
    1/2 cup breadcrumbs
    Form into patties and grill.
    Really awesome with tzatziki sauce or topped with fresh tomato and slice of mozzarella drizzle of basalmic.
    Also pretty darn good meatball style with alfredo sauce and pasta.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Is anybody willing to share their favorite turkey burger recipe? Also, is it okay to make them with the extra lean (99% ff) turkey or does it need the 93%?

Thanks in advance!

I would think 99% would be basically hockey puck dry...

Also, I prefer ground beef to ground turkey...there is little to no difference between 93% ground beef and 93% ground turkey.

Either way, a enjoy a fairly simple burger...ground beef with some Worcestershire thrown on top to soak in and a little pepper. Slice of cheese, lettuce, tomato, and grilled onion with dill pickle spear on the side.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    goat cheese, red onion and chopped spinach.....to die for!