Strengh and hypertrophy weight loss

Options
What burns more calories strengh or hypertrophy for weight loss I currently do both but would you burn significant more doing a solo one? Hello everyone feel free to add I need more motivation lol

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    more than likely hypertrophy but the difference is probably marginal as you don't get that great of a calorie burn from lifting; however, it does wonders for body composition and maintaining mass.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have no scientific evidence but my hunch is that the difference is small enough that it wouldn't change your rate of fat loss assuming equal calories eaten under either plan.
  • Lostinblac
    Lostinblac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply I.currently.do strengh start followed by hypertrophy then cardio once my glycogen levels are empty but was unsure I know cardio burns alot.of calories.and helps the burn rate for.the day but wasn't sure if one or the other is best to focus on
  • ndj1979
    Options
    gaz1058 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply I.currently.do strengh start followed by hypertrophy then cardio once my glycogen levels are empty but was unsure I know cardio burns alot.of calories.and helps the burn rate for.the day but wasn't sure if one or the other is best to focus on

i would say keep in eating in a calorie deficit, keep protein high, keep lifting, and mix in cardio on off days if you want; just make sure to have one 100% rest day.

are you following a structured lifting program?
  • Lostinblac
    Options
    But would hypertrophy on a deficit be counter productive due to not being in a surplus to build muscle? So wouldn't it in a sence make you loose muscle so your bmr.would drop?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    But would hypertrophy on a deficit be counter productive due to not being in a surplus to build muscle? So wouldn't it in a sence make you loose muscle so your bmr.would drop?

what are your goals?

if you want to lose weight and maintain muscle then eating in a deficit and following a hypertrophy lifting progam is fine...but if you want to bulk then you would need to be in a surplus
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can manage your surplus/deficit on a daily basis. If you are in an overall deficit over a week or month's time that's what your body is working with. I agree if you are cutting, just keep your protein levels very high and lift heavy. When you are ready bring your diet up and build.
  • Lostinblac
    Options
    I want to cut I've never really had a program up to now just lifted to strengh and power now want general muscle size I've recently only.just realised a good diet and researched what to.do.as before I just ate and thought I'd get big lol thanks for your input mate
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I want to cut I've never really had a program up to now just lifted to strengh and power now want general muscle size I've recently only.just realised a good diet and researched what to.do.as before I just ate and thought I'd get big lol thanks for your input mate

then eat in a deficit and I would suggest some form of structured regimen like strong lifts, all pro beginner, Wendlers, PHUL, etc
  • Lostinblac
    Options
    I tried to add both strengh and hypertrophy I'm in a deficit of 600 roughly.protein is high for my weight and height but it's very tiring keeping the same.strengh levels they havnt dropped.yet but that's.most proberly due to the pre workout and caffeine I'm.having
  • Lostinblac
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

then eat in a deficit and I would suggest some form of structured regimen like strong lifts, all pro beginner, Wendlers, PHUL, etc

Thankyou I shall have a look and sort out a plan do you follow.a.certain program
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I tried to add both strengh and hypertrophy I'm in a deficit of 600 roughly.protein is high for my weight and height but it's very tiring keeping the same.strengh levels they havnt dropped.yet but that's.most proberly due to the pre workout and caffeine I'm.having

if you want a blend of strength and hypertrophy training then I would suggest looking into PHUL
  • ndj1979
    Options

Thankyou I shall have a look and sort out a plan do you follow.a.certain program

I just started running PHUL again....
  • Lostinblac
    Options

I just started running PHUL again....

I'll.take a look thanks
  • jemhh
    Options
    I like a mix of strength and hypertrophy as well. Johnny Candito's strength hypertrophy plan is good too.
  • Lostinblac
    Options
    I'll take a look I need to.follow.something I normally do strengh before then lots.of hypertrophy
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

to cut requires a deficit and lifting heavy(progressive lifting program) as well as getting enough protein to retain the muscle and lose fat, bulking you eat in a surplus and you will gain some muscle and fat.
  • jemhh
    Options
    I'll take a look I need to.follow.something I normally do strengh before then lots.of hypertrophy

Both PHUL and the Candito plan are 4 days--1 upper and 1 lower strength day and 1 upper and 1 lower hypertrophy day. You're working on both but on separate days.
  • Lostinblac
    Options
    I'll take a look would doing them both on the same session have very little affect?
  • jemhh
    Options
    I'll take a look would doing them both on the same session have very little affect?

What do you mean by that? Do you mean would it be detrimental to building strength or hypertrophy? No. If you look at 531's BBB template, you do your 531 sets for strength and then follow them up with 5x10 sets.

Or do you mean will it decrease fat loss? Also no on that.