Yoga anyone?

Options
tam741
tam741 Posts: 5 Member
Hello community! I've been practicing vinyasa and kundalini yoga since 2004. I started out of curiosity and at that time I was suffering from severe sinusitis, bad posture, low back pain and a heart condition. All of those conditions have gradually disappeared and I can only attribute it to the addition of this practice. Folks, yoga works!

I'm now at the point where I'm comfortable doing headstand (sirsasana) poses. These are considered the king of yoga postures because of their numerous benefits.

For other practictioners, are you integrating it into this app? If so, how do you list it? Is it cardio or strength?

Replies

• _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm not a yoga expert but I would log it under stretching. It obviously burns more calories than sitting still but not a huge amount compared to running for an hour.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    Yoga is listed already
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yay! Yes, yoga is my jammmm! I've been teaching now for just over a year.

I used to list it as cardio, because, as I'm sure you know, vinyasa gets your heart going! Now I just go by TDEE and don't log any of my exercise calories. I started doing that because I was using yoga as a work out, and I made it part of my new year's resolution to become less attached to the physical aspects of yoga and go deeper into the other 7 limbs.

For your purposes, I'd log it as cardio. You are burning calories doing it, and you want to make sure you're being as accurate as possible. When I was logging my exercise calories using MFP's pre-loaded vinyasa yoga entry, I was able to maintain my weight, so I think it's a pretty accurate measure.

Happy practicing :)
  • tam741
    tam741 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! And kzooyogi, I would love to practice with you if I was closer. I've thought of doing teacher training. They're so expensive and in such exotic places!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!