HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE ?

Options
2»

Replies

• Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you had such a rough year - I hope that your 2017 is better!

This happened to me >.< I sort of knew I was getting bigger but I didn't really appreciate by HOW MUCH. Looked in the mirror one day and didn't even recognise myself. Not cool.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have gone through similar stuff, and first off, you NEED to be more kind to yourself, even though the feelings are rough- tell yourself what you would tell your BFF if she were in your situation. BUT being kind does NOT mean you ignore it. Now you are aware, and are here, so one day at a time, starting today!

2017 WILL be a good year :smiley:
  • federicafezza4271
    federicafezza4271 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean as I have experienced it both ways.

When I was 17, I lost a few kgs over a year and hit my lowest weight as an "adult" at 54 kg: I still saw myself kind of chubby just because my belly wasn't toned as my friends'.
    I now know that my BMI 18,7!
    Last september, at 24, I hit my highest weigh of 71 kg, BMI 24,6.
    I have weighted myself regularly, but the change has been so gradual and I always see the same person when I look in the mirror, even though my body and also my face are completely different from what they where when I was lighter.
    On this, I truly have to rely on the scale and on clothes size because I can't really assess my fitness just looking at myself, I think that's what happened to you as well!

All this just to say, good luck for your weightloss and I genuinely wish you a 2017 so much better than 2016.
  • aka62792
    aka62792 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you ! As I look at it, 2016 was such a bad year, nothing was similar to my life before. I turned into someone else, without seeing it. I am grateful that I saw what was happening and am correcting those behaviors. I also wish you the best for 2017 !
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have had such a tough year, little wonder you didn't realise what was happening. I have days where I forget how fat I am, and I think I look ok, then I see myself in a photo and realise how fat I am. now it's time to be nice to yourself and look after you and I hope 2017 is your year x
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have had such a tough year, little wonder you didn't realise what was happening. I have days where I forget how fat I am, and I think I look ok, then I see myself in a photo and realise how fat I am. now it's time to be nice to yourself and look after you and I hope 2017 is your year x

Photos are a wake-up call for me every time! Ugh! The way I appear in photos and the way I look in my mind are not the same.
  • aka62792
    aka62792 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was running around so much, no one took pics. Before the Renal Failure, I was NEVER Bigger than a size 4-6 . I CANNOT tell you, what a Shock Christmas Eve was. I was between a Rock and a Hardplace. I desperately wanted to lose weight but I was MORTIFIED by the way I looked.
    In 2016 I probably went out 5 times. I had to go to my Moms Funeral. I had not seen anyone in 5 years, the LOOKS had me in tears.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear how tough your year was. Sometimes life gets in the way and that's okay! I never noticed how fat I had got until I was about to be in a production of Guys & Dolls and everyone could get their costumes to fit and I had to take the director to the side and ask for a bigger size, which they then had to source for me from another costume provider. I wanted the ground to swallow me whole. You got this though, and I hope that 2017 will be the best year for you!
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    aka62792 wrote: »
    I was running around so much, no one took pics. Before the Renal Failure, I was NEVER Bigger than a size 4-6 . I CANNOT tell you, what a Shock Christmas Eve was. I was between a Rock and a Hardplace. I desperately wanted to lose weight but I was MORTIFIED by the way I looked.
    In 2016 I probably went out 5 times. I had to go to my Moms Funeral. I had not seen anyone in 5 years, the LOOKS had me in tears.

People were giving you looks at your mother's funeral because you'd gained some weight? I feel outraged on your behalf.

Don't take what anyone did to heart. Just because you've gained some weight doesn't mean you're not still you or you aren't still a wonderful person.

My mother passed in May and I was trying to lose weight then (but had put on quite a bit) and after she passed I rapidly gained a good 15 lbs in a few months time.

I'm just getting back to a mindset to be able to take care of myself. Don't despair. You're not alone.