Overwhelmed

Options
qudoos
qudoos Posts: 26 Member
Now a father with travel to work over 2 hrs each way. Looking to shred some excessive weight. Need motivators please feel free to add me

Replies

• Motherofship
    Motherofship Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Meal planning would be an effective way for you to lose weight while also making your new parental routine simpler and faster.

There are loads of meal plans on sites like Pinterest which you might be able to use. Or you can start with making just 1-2 meals ahead of time on the weekend and building up to dinners.

You and your partner could do all the shopping and prep on a day that works for both of you, or one could shop/the other prep. Then you just have to cook or microwave the prepped food when its time to eat.

It can be intimidating and more time-consuming at first to start this, but after a few tries you start knowing what works and it becomes a huge time saver. and, for me, it keeps me from eating fast food on the way home from work because I know my dinner is already waiting.

When I'm stuck in traffic on my commute, I get antsy and I will eat and drink anything whatsoever I have in the car. Even if it's veggies and water! So I make sure I have lots of water in the car. I try not to drink anything else on my commute, otherwise I end up drinking 3 large coffees before 10 am. I also keep healthy snacks like 100 calorie pack raw nuts so if I'm really truly hungry it's just enough to tide me over for an hour or two.

There are lots of resources, including here on MFP, that can help. You can do it. And congrats on your new family!
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    The key to losing weight is to eat fewer calories than you burn each day. That can be accomplished by burning more or eating less. Driving four hours a day leaves little time for working out on a regular basis, but if you can squeeze in noontime walks or something, that will help. Being stressed out and harried, as can happen with a too-busy schedule, can also make it hard to be mindful about your eating, but it is possible. Logging your meals religiously with MFP can help a lot. In fact, I often pre-log before I eat, so I know what constitutes an appropriate portion size.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Planning will help so much! Even spending a little extra on precut veggies or pre packaged snacks. Do you tend to nibble in the car? Bring a sliced apple or celery and carrots. you know then even if you eat because you are bored, it won't hurt your day!

Don't overcomplicate it at first...simpler food is easier to track and calculate if you are eating the right amounts. I used to spend a lot of time in my car and would back a cut up apple, some veggies, and 3 ounces of chicken to munch on. I'm a 52 year old woman so my calories are much lower than yours!

If you eat out, go for those things that have reasonable calories and have them posted or available online. you can do this, if it was easy though none of us would be here in the first place! Welcome to MFP!
  • gdelao1
    gdelao1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Planning. I'm just starting to plan and last night I worked out. I have a couple things at home that I could bring for lunch. Don't know what's for dinner tonight. Baby steps.