Strong Curves at home for recomp - doable with next to no equipment?

So I bought the kindle version of the book (and am now shelling out for a paper copy as it's too fiddly to navigate usefully) but am a bit bewildered by all the exercises and options, not to mention the equipment the author assumes you have access to.

I work-out at home, and have minimal gear - a mat, some hand-weights, a step, a barbell & minimal plates (basically the 5s 2.5s and 1.25s I use for BodyPump). Is it possible to sub exercises to make any kind of progress? I know there's a body weight section, but even this assumes you have a chin up bar, a back extension set, and about a hundred other things. How do I know if the exercise I sub in is 'hard' enough to replace a 45 degree back extension or whatever? Feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all...

I'm 48, female 5'7" and 130lb if that's relevant at all - hit goal weight but still not happy with appearance, bodyfat % etc. I know I need to cut down on the cardio to make the difference that I'm after. Any advice gratefully received - have been lurking and reading old threads on this but still not sure if you need to invest in a home gym to make this work

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    In the actual workout, page numbers are listed for each exercise and because of the way they're grouped, you can easily find a sub. I did the beginner program and you don't need very much equipment to start at all. The actual printed book is much easier to flip through and reference than the e-version. Have you read the book? I mean, the actual content, not just the workouts.
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,398 Member
    edited January 2017
    I've read the book yes, though I think I'll need to do so again to make sure it all goes in :) I didn't know about the exercise page numbers - haven't received my physical copy yet
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    using single legs helps when you're lacking equipment. Single leg hip thrust as an example.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I do Strong Curves at home, and once you get the hard copy, it will be a lot easier because you'll be able to see what you can sub out.

Instead of chin ups, you can do inverted rows by holding on to the dining room table! That's what I do. I also do lat pull downs with resistance bands. Consider investing in a set of those, they come in handy.

If you can get a Swiss ball, you can sub that out for hyperextensions. I do mine this way, since I have a weight bench, but you could lay on a table. I have one of my kids hold my legs, or if they're not around, I back my bench into the couch and brace my feet.

http://www.weightroom.org/exercise/hyperextensions-with-no-hyperextension-bench
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    You'll have to sub a few exercises until you get more equipment, but the subbing is pretty easy with the list and physical book.

I've been doing the program at home since Fall. I'm actually on the second round of the beginners program (wk 7) and will be doing the advanced when this round is done. Swiss ball and pull up bar (mine hooks on door frame) are definite buys along with resistance bands. You'll probably need some more plates for your barbell as well.
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,398 Member
    Thanks for the replies everyone - think I have a deflated Swiss ball somewhere - good to know it's all possible. Just waiting for the paperback now :) not sure I'll ever be able to do a pull up though!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Thanks for the replies everyone - think I have a deflated Swiss ball somewhere - good to know it's all possible. Just waiting for the paperback now :) not sure I'll ever be able to do a pull up though!

I thought that too. I can do chin ups unassisted now where before I had to use a band to help.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,986 Member
    I'm starting SC on Monday 1/16. I have a group for women doing SC. I started it last year when I was originally going to start, but it never really took off. If any of you ladies would like to join, here's the group link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/113531-strong-curves-by-bret-contreras-and-kellie-davis-ladies-only